PDA

View Full Version : Belt noise?

TenaciousC
Saturday 28th March 2009, 15:33
Hi All,

I have been experiencing what I assume is a belt noise for quite some time. I had always thought it was the auxiliary serpentine belt slipping due to condensation in the morning. The noise goes away when the engine is hot.

However on reading other posts, my attention is drawn to the possibility of an idler pully on the cam belt causing the noise - which is more serious.

The noise is not a squeal... it's far more low frequency whine, and it's pitch is not directly proportional to revs, although revs do affect it. It seems that the pitch suddenly rises just before the noise stops. - perhaps the sound of an idler pully suddenly starting to turn more easily?

Does anyone recognise these symptoms?

For now I have ordered a new serpentine belt to see if that helps.

Cheers

C

TenaciousC
Sunday 5th April 2009, 10:11
Hi,

Ok new serpentine belt on...The old one was quite stretched....but same noise still occurs. Could this be a water pump problem? It has been making this noise since I bought it (about a year). My thinking would be to wait until the cambelt is due.... about another 20k miles.... unless any other symptoms emerge. Anyone think that may be a bad idea?

Cheers

C

dooby
Sunday 5th April 2009, 11:39
Hiya,

does it do it when idle? If so, worth checking running without the serpentine belt on, to rule out any of the things it drives (i.e. steering pump bearing, alternator bearing, etc.)

Cheers, Pete