PDA

View Full Version : help im new

bigdavemaud
Thursday 26th March 2009, 18:22
hi my names dave
notsure how to use these sites :confused:
just bought a v70 t5 and i would like to do some sutel mods for more/better performance :mischievo
can anyone point me in the right direction :help:
also dose anyone know where i can get hold of a turbo timer and harness please.
many thanks dave

Terminator
Friday 27th March 2009, 08:34
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

Before starting any power upgrade mods, ensure that your car's brakes, suspension (including all bushes and engine mounts) and tyres are sound. Next, carry out a full engine service if this has not been done recently. If you have an auto, be careful not to overdo any power upgrade and ensure that the ATF has been changed.

The favourite mod for increasing power is a RICA or MTE remap. Do a search and you will find plenty of posts on this subject. A strut brace is another popular mod to tighten things up at the front. Simon (Rufe) at FRF Swansea will sort you out a good price for this genuine Volvo part.

Recommend you speak with Russ at RT Mechanics or Don at Kalmar Union regarding the turbo timer and harness.

Good luck with the project!

T.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 27th March 2009, 11:06
Turbo timers are unnecessary so long as you run the end of your trip with some mechanical sympathy. Welcome to the site

bigdavemaud
Friday 27th March 2009, 11:18
cheers T
shes a manual and aparently shes just had a service however when you give her a good bit of boost around 50-60 mph she seems to be holding back any ideas?
is it worth replacing engine mounts for poly bushes and are they available?

big D

gazjacko
Friday 27th March 2009, 23:21
Halfords website used to list a cheap turbo timer but I agree with Dave that it's probably not needed.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&partNumber=830075&langId=-1&cm_mmc=Googlebase-_-Performance%20Parts-_-Na-_-Ripspeed%20Turbo%20Timer&%24%24tid=yBgzXCz3S433OmpLbeyDz18Lvy1XvrWBVBiD_4_K DyChu4UODNUzjQsZoeyhhWX9

Rob S
Saturday 28th March 2009, 00:39
Some insurance companies take a dim view on Turbo Timers for obvious reasons. If the last minute or two of your journey is off boost, you should nt need it as has been said.
Welcome to the club!

bigdavemaud
Saturday 28th March 2009, 11:01
well at least not buying a turbo timer alows me to put the money into making her go better.
thinking of getting a universal cone filter is this wise or is a 57i induction kit a better idea?
also how noisey is the power steering usualy mine seems quite loud from the pump think it may need a new one.

888dee
Saturday 28th March 2009, 11:48
it may not be the pas pump, mine is very whiney (like the wife ;)) in that corner of the engine bay, bit of careful listening with a probe drew the conclusion it's the alternator that's making the noise

bigdavemaud
Saturday 28th March 2009, 20:22
yeah oh my god she dosnt half wine (the wife that is) its nice to get under the bonet of the car for some peace and quiet i'll check the altanaitor tommorow cheers mate its all abit new to me im used to playing with nissan 200s and skylines

888dee
Saturday 28th March 2009, 20:37
feeling rather please with myself, bagged an alternator for a fiver on the bay this afternoon :) well £15 once the postage was on but even so, local scrappy wanted £40!

bigdavemaud
Saturday 28th March 2009, 21:51
nice one scrappys are bloody over priced somtimes i think especially when they pay you bugger all for your car when you want to srcap one.
can you let me know if the wining stops at least then i'll know im in the right area

Wobbly Dave
Monday 30th March 2009, 23:24
cheapest and effective solution for air intake is a replacement panel. PiperX or ITG are very good and not expensive

polak t5r
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 09:47
hi big dave i had the sme problem with my t5-r holding back what fuel you putting in i was using normal unleaded which i now know was a mistake you have to run it on super i think i couldnt do that as i live in the sticks with one petrol station that only sells normal unleaded so i put octane boost in and the cars fine now

bigdavemaud
Friday 3rd April 2009, 10:43
running mine on normal unleaded think it may have a missfire under boost could this be plugs or dizzy cap coz its not to bad when its cold and gets worse when she get warm also been told it chucks a puff of black smoke out when it dose it aswell is this a normalty when she misses.

t5 pete
Friday 3rd April 2009, 11:26
Hello theres a few thing that could cause the miss either a vacume pipe is split the leads could be breaking down under load and the bcs could be failing.
Ive had the 304 remap on my 850 and in the higher gears it would miss slightly like blowing the spark out i replaced the bcs and new leads and that cured the problem for me.
As for poly bushes you can replace the upper tie bar, wishbone bushes and the linkage between the gear box and subframe.
pete

bigdavemaud
Sunday 5th April 2009, 16:12
nice one pete i'll have a look tryed 97 ron fuel could notice a differance but still misses also fitted a univerial cone filter wich helped slightly too i think