PDA

View Full Version : Roof Spoiler

gibbo
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 18:47
Does anyone have any fitting instructions for a roof spoiler?. I have just got one from my local volvo stealer (24 quid), i kid you not they come in about 25 parts so when i asked if they had any instructions he vanished for about 15 mins then stated there were none available.
OR
Would someone be kind enough to post a couple of close up pics of the bracket / kit.

Cheers in advance

Gibbo

vt5
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 19:52
Estate i guess..........

splatt
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 20:06
Wend (wife) hasd one of theese...guess what holds it in place.....

yes, self tapping screws and a bit of mastic...

I had a Nisan 300zx recently rear spoiler held on with 6 self tappuing screws (it was faster)
It does not do a lot but makes the tailgate look nice..keeps the rain off too!

Justin
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 20:47
I will do some pics for you tomorrow mate if you havent sussed it :)

gibbo
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 20:56
Wend (wife) hasd one of theese...guess what holds it in place.....

yes, self tapping screws and a bit of mastic...

I had a Nisan 300zx recently rear spoiler held on with 6 self tappuing screws (it was faster)
It does not do a lot but makes the tailgate look nice..keeps the rain off too!

Cheers Splatt
I gonna use the damn kit as i've got it now

Cheers mate
Gibbo

gibbo
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 20:59
Nice one J, the spoiler is in the paint shop now so should be ready tomorrow?
I was gonna ask them to fit it but i guess i like a challenge :slap: LOL

Gibbo

enrm6
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:26
Does anyone have any fitting instructions for a roof spoiler?. I have just got one from my local volvo stealer (24 quid),

You got a spoiler for £24 :jaw:

Did you actually mean the bracket for £24? If not, can you tell me who your dealer is?

Martinr
Thursday 19th May 2005, 14:20
I fitted one of these on my 855. Five minute job once you work out which bits are required!! :)

The standard Volvo fitting kit covers 850's and V70's and the items you use from it will depend on the vehicle you are going to use it on. I believe the sticky pads are used on all models but the clear plastic is only used on one of the V70 models to protect the glass.

The brackets fit onto the spoiler with one 'complete' hole and a slotted hole to allow a little adjustment. They will only go on one way and if I remember rightly they are marked L/R this relates to viewing from the rear of the car. The brackets themselves clamp around the tailgate hinges.

Fitting is best done by two people as supporting the spoiler whilst you line it up is tricky and it is easy to clip the roof.

The brackets should be loosely clamped around the hinges. The screw that relates to the open hole on the bracket should be screwed into the spoiler leaving the head standing clear. Offer up the spoiler and locate it on the two partially inserted screws. Then insert the screws in the 'complete' holes. Press it down to make the double sided pads make contact and tighten all the screws. Job done

bigndaft
Thursday 19th May 2005, 14:45
ALWAYS use the fixing kit.....I lost a spoiler once :slap: ...don't ask :dunce:

Mrsmopp
Thursday 19th May 2005, 14:55
...don't ask :dunce:

We have to now!! :haha: LOL

HOW?????

x

gibbo
Thursday 19th May 2005, 21:58
You got a spoiler for £24 :jaw:

Did you actually mean the bracket for £24? If not, can you tell me who your dealer is?

No mate the fitting kit was £24

Gibbo

siamblue
Thursday 19th May 2005, 22:07
No mate the fitting kit was £24

Gibbo

:B_rotfl:

robdbenj655
Thursday 19th May 2005, 22:11
ALWAYS use the fixing kit.....I lost a spoiler once :slap: ...don't ask :dunce:
like the picture dude............rob

bigndaft
Friday 20th May 2005, 09:57
OH....ok then....it was a few years ago and my ex plod needed a spoiler, i got it from Eurocarparts (made by ASD) for about £55 and did a lovelly job of spraying it myself.....I did not know about the fitting kit :pants: ....I stuck it on with the black mastic stuff that came with the spoiler, their were no instructions, i was worried that it could fall off so i drilled and added a couple of self tappers.....all seemed fine for a couple of months, went campin to cornwall with me lads and when i got there....it had gone :slap:
hope nobody was hurt....i still feel pain even today. :bog:

gibbo
Saturday 21st May 2005, 09:25

Yeah can you post the pics for me mate

Cheers
Gibbo

gibbo
Saturday 21st May 2005, 09:53
I fitted one of these on my 855. Five minute job once you work out which bits are required!! :)

The standard Volvo fitting kit covers 850's and V70's and the items you use from it will depend on the vehicle you are going to use it on. I believe the sticky pads are used on all models but the clear plastic is only used on one of the V70 models to protect the glass.

The brackets fit onto the spoiler with one 'complete' hole and a slotted hole to allow a little adjustment. They will only go on one way and if I remember rightly they are marked L/R this relates to viewing from the rear of the car. The brackets themselves clamp around the tailgate hinges.

Fitting is best done by two people as supporting the spoiler whilst you line it up is tricky and it is easy to clip the roof.

The brackets should be loosely clamped around the hinges. The screw that relates to the open hole on the bracket should be screwed into the spoiler leaving the head standing clear. Offer up the spoiler and locate it on the two partially inserted screws. Then insert the screws in the 'complete' holes. Press it down to make the double sided pads make contact and tighten all the screws. Job done

Cheers mate,
I think i'm gonna wait for Justin or someone to post some close up pics as i seem to have a couple of extra pieces in the kit that you have not mentioned
above.

Thanks again,

Cheers
Gibbo

Justin
Saturday 21st May 2005, 10:15
Throw the rest away Gibbo, you dont need em :)

gibbo
Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:00
All fitted. Quite easy really.
Cheers for all the replies guys

Gibbo

d14vd_h
Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:28
just wondering what u guys paid for spraing and fitting or just spraying
im being quoted 120 for painting and fitting.
tempted to do myself, would need primed and sprayed, how much is the paint from a dealer, is DIY hard and what are the results like?

Tomcat
Saturday 21st May 2005, 22:20
£120 for spraying and fitting!, jeez they saw you comin'.

Paint shouldn't cost anymore than about £8-10 for a spray can, you can get these made up at any good paint suppliers to your cars body colour, primer is about £4-5.00 from any motor factors. Fitting is easy once you've worked out how the brackets go together.

gibbo
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 10:38
just wondering what u guys paid for spraing and fitting or just spraying
im being quoted 120 for painting and fitting.
tempted to do myself, would need primed and sprayed, how much is the paint from a dealer, is DIY hard and what are the results like?

I paid £50 for the spraying mate, i didn't get a quote from the dealer stealer for the paint, fitting wasn't to bad but would have been alot easier if you had 2 people, I did mine on me own so lining it up was tricky. :biggrin:

Gibbo

Loz1
Wednesday 10th September 2008, 17:38
Hi,

Reading through the questions and answers about fitting a rear spoiler so i thought, sound easy enough, i would have a go at doing it myself. So, got one off ebay, came complete with brackets and screws to fix brackets to spoiler and thats it. Few minutes of head scratching resulting it more head scratching and swearing, but still can't figure out how it stays in place. The brackets seem to be about 5-10mm away from the hinges and seems to be pressed up hard against the glass. I think i have the brackets the correct way round because they won't fit any other way. I know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but can anyone take some pictures to show how the spoiler fits into place. Any help would be appreciated.