PDA

View Full Version : Went to see my 1st V70 T5 yesterday...

Hallsy
Thursday 26th March 2009, 10:46
Didn't buy it though sad.gif

After what feels like ages (prob only a couple of weeks) of looking for a manual 850/V70 T5 I haven't had much luck!

So today I decided to go and have a look at a V70 T5 'auto' - beggars can't be choosers, and I reckon in these big cars, an auto probably isn't all that bad.

It was this one: http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl/popup...&distance=1

It sounded OK over the phone, fsh, CD spec, 170k, MOT til July (or 12 months at asking price), very tidy apart from slight scuff to o/s front wing/bumper and key mark down the n/s.

Not being too worried about minor bodywork (have all the equipment for repair/paint) i went down with an open mind to knock him down if I liked it (he had said lowest he would go would be £875 as is, no valet, no extra MOT).

Shame it turned out to be a little more ropey than I expected. The dent on the wing was minor, but the 'scuffs' on the bumper were complete scrapes down to the plastic with the paint randomly peeling all over it, both fog lamps smashed, o/s front wing had a crease in it. Rest looked OK, but it was dirty. Interior was filthy, children had drawn on the rear windows, there was some sort of sand/dirt all over the front cabin. Still, might scrub up OK. Some of the window switches didn't work either.

Popped bonnet checked dipstick from cold and it was covered in orange gloop, not just a little bit, loads, all over the dip & in the tube. I cleaned the dip a few times but still the same. Filler cap had no signs of oil/water mix though, and coolant although very dark appeared to be me water like than oil/water.

Took for a drive, seemed to drive OK. Stopped and checked dip again, smoking (PCV blocked?), and still covered in gloop. Slight hollow knocking noise as well, guessing at maybe water pump or similar ancillary as it didn't sound like it was coming directly from the engine.

The noticed that bonnet & n/s wing were a different colour to the bumper & o/s wing. Not sure which was newest and which matched what as car was too dirty. The 'full' service history was patchy also, it was pretty good up to about 04/05 but then nothing after that, other than a Volvo sticker under the bonnet for air filter at 128k, and cambelt at 150k (iirc). Possible this history was lost, not sure.

In the end I drove it back and said 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Now I'm home I'm a little annoyed at how poorly described it was. Scuffs and a dent are one thing, but for it to look any good it needed the whole front end respraying, and that's before cleaning the rest of the car. Plus, the emulsified oil on the dip was a worry, I'd heard of a few drops being common due to condensation, but this was quite bad. Tube was full of gloop.

Part of me wishes I'd bought it so I had one, but the other half says that to get it looking how I'd want it needed a reasonable amount of time/money spent, so may as well wait for another to come up.

Ho hum....

neevo
Thursday 26th March 2009, 11:09
I think you did right in declining it and I too have gotten very narked at some descriptions compared to the actual condition.

"First to see will buy" is a great way of telling if someone is a dealer even if not declaring so i#on Autotrader and then you have to be very wary of their descriptions.

One "perfect" example had a major gear change problem that he assured me was " a simple thing to fix" - so why not fix it and get more profit??? I did the same as you but I never gave it a 2nd thought ;)

Good luck finding your new car, when you get a good'un they can be great fun but even the good'uns still have little niggles but I think they add character to your car :beer:

Hallsy
Thursday 26th March 2009, 11:15
Yeah, I get the feeling he took it in part exchange, put it up for sale, and didn't really look at it. Strange dealer really, wasn't even pushy in the slightest and hardly said anything.

I don't mind the odd niggle, had everything been Ok apart from the minor damage to front I'd have took it if he;d have lowered his price, but things just kept adding up as I was looking around it, and decided it was too tatty, even though it had been fairly well serviced, it didn't look like it had been looked after.

cornclose
Thursday 26th March 2009, 11:31
Yes, I had similar experiences when looking for my T5 about a year ago. Far too many cars are described as 'excellent' or 'mint' when in fact they are a pile of poop.

JelT5
Thursday 26th March 2009, 12:18
I think I was very lucky when I bought mine last year, it was the first one I went to see...I was looking for an auto, so guess I was just very fortunate.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll find one in decent nick.

Hallsy
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 19:31
Well, it's not my month :(

Had my eye on this car, but it didn't meet reserve, then noticed it went back on this morning for £900 BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volvo-v70-t5-sports-estate_W0QQitemZ180341927708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAut omobiles_UK?hash=item180341927708&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I was pretty interested but realised that as he was 2.5-3 hrs away, it could well sell before I got to him. So I phoned him and had a chat, asked him to confirm condition, history, etc and all sounded pretty good. Decided that I would take a chance and go for it. Got off the phone, went back to my PC............SOLD!!! :(

Nevermind. I do like them in silver though!

So still looking, I've seen some nice 850's recently, but they are all a little pricey considering you can get V70's for similar money. If a good 850 crops up localish to me for around £700 I'll be on it, but any more and I may as well push to a V70.

Incidentally I have seen this, but it is quite a distance from me (200 miles) but would travel if it was a good one. Is anyone local to Rochdale who would be able to take a look for me?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-Volvo-V70-Green_W0QQitemZ320354165993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item320354165993&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 10:37
If you find one too far for you to travel to view you could always post a a thread asking if anyone local could give it the once over? I've bought a couple of cars this way and people are normally pretty helpful ;) :D

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 11:46
Yes, I think I may do this, I mentioned it in the above post.

Came across another v70 px from a trader, but it has 200k, no history & no MOT. Even though it's cheap, it seems like too much of a risk. Shame, as from the pictures it does look pretty good condition.

Can you trace any previous history through Volvo? Would you just need the registration, or VIN number?

Liddo
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 11:51
Incidentally I have seen this, but it is quite a distance from me (200 miles) but would travel if it was a good one. Is anyone local to Rochdale who would be able to take a look for me?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-Volvo-V70-Green_W0QQitemZ320354165993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item320354165993&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Its done 165k, its got a towbar and 7 seats, poor thing has probably had a hard life. Id keep looking

Liddo
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 11:56
This is nice

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLVO/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966794/advert.action?R=200912331087041&distance=144&postcode=WA12+9ED&channel=CARS&make=VOLVO&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1998&vehicleRegLetter=R

might be out of your price range :(

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:36
Hi Liddo, I have a feeling that car has sold. I saw it on Pistonheads and asked him to confirm, but he didn't reply.
I'm sure I saw it on ebay the other week and it sold, but when I do a completed listing search, it doesn't come up. Not sure how far back that will go though.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 18:47
I wouldn't get too hung up on SH personally. SH does not necessarily mean its been well looked after. I never maintained the SH on any of mine yet they had all been maintained regardless of cost and serviced more often than one with SH. There wont be too many high milers who have up to date SH I wouldn't think?

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 19:00
Well a few I have enquired about have. Or at least 70% I'd say, I'm quite happy with DIY servicing as long as there is evidence of receipts. That's what I do anyway, I always work on my own cars but keep a schedule & receipts.

I suppose on a car with 200k it would be nice to see some evidence of it being looked after, but I agree fsh would be unlikely.

I agree that it's not the be all and end all, the 170k V70 I looked at had quite a lot of service history and had quite recent Volvo service stickers under the bonnet, but it did not look looked after. Just more likely someone who keeps up with the servicing as a matter of course, but little else.