PDA

View Full Version : Potential Problems After Some DIY?

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 19:33
Hi there folks,

As it was such a nice day I decided to go and fit my new plugs, HT leads, rotar arm, and distributor cap. This is the first time I have every done this with any car, but thought I would give it a go to save a bit of cash. I think I have fitted everything correctly, but I am doubting myself.

When I take it for a run tomorrow, what should I be looking for (loss of power, any funny noises, etc)?

Looks like it was needing the plugs doing as this is what the old ones looked like:

I used genuine Volvo plugs, rotar arm and distributor cap, but I was able to get a set of the IPD performance HT leads for the same price as the genuine Volvo ones, so I bought them instead. Not sure if they will make much difference, if any, but IPD products do seem to be very good.

Some other problems I have found are:

Leaking radiator or hose.
Strange high pitched noise when I rev the car beyond 1500/2000rpm, until it warms up a bit(any ideas?).
Oil around the inside of the reverse intercooler pipework (any ideas why?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to do any damage, or make anything worse!

Alan M
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 19:49
Your noise may be from a dry bearing in many of the items containg one being driven by belt on your engine or it could be a noisy waterpump on the verge of failure. My Air con compressor is noisy and so is the water pump after spinning them both with the belts off. You could also have something like your idler pulley being in need of replacement as the sometimes get noisy with age if not replaed. If your car starts as it should and runs well enough and you followed Mr Haynes to the letter (or a similar writeup) your car should be okay. Oil around the inside of the intercooler pipework is usually from the breather system and can be cured by cleaning or replacing it and venting it to atmosphere instaed of back into the Maf pipe or through a catch tank first before the Maf pipe. You could be really unlucky and have a turbo oils seal failure and have the oil from the turbo keep getting into the compressor then in turn into the pipework.