PDA

View Full Version : PPC tuning

The Badger
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 13:44
I know it`s quickish standard, but it`s always good to have a little more under the right boot. i`ve been searching around for info/prices. I`d pretty much decided on the Rica or BSR until...
I found this... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269 i`m not commenting either way, as i can find very little fact. Does anyone have any idea which one best suits the T5 geartronic
i`m assuming there`s a bit of history here

thanks for any advice
Mike

wegal
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 13:54
The PPC Units do work, dont worry about that thread, like all tuning environments there are always disagreements.

If you have a phase two, I would personally talk to Don at Kalmar-union about MTE.

KPB
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 15:32
I've got a RICA PCC, works fine. In fact, the RICA agent used it to install the map in the first place and tested it for me as well.

I'm very happy with it, although I hear the MTE map is also very good and more torquey low down.

However I believe there may be some limitations on your gains caused by the autobox. Something like 400nm?

cornclose
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 15:38
I'll have a PPC by this weekend, with the RICA map in it. I can't bloody wait to be honest, and will let you all know if it 'works' lol.

flyingbrick
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 16:33
I know it`s quickish standard, but it`s always good to have a little more under the right boot. i`ve been searching around for info/prices. I`d pretty much decided on the Rica or BSR until...
I found this... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269 i`m not commenting either way, as i can find very little fact. Does anyone have any idea which one best suits the T5 geartronic

thanks for any advice
Mike

Good reading this......:icon_soap

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=502269

Piles
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 19:35
I've got a rica ppc on an auto. It works :)

Davew
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 19:53
I've got a rica ppc on an auto. It works :)

Me too. Geartronic and 454nm on the last dyno run. :-)

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 20:41
Plugged in the rica ppc on my c70 today on my lunch break, one hand had a egg sandwich in it, the other hand was holding the ppc loader lol.

cornclose
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 21:18
...and ?:rally_dri

cornclose
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 21:18
Got mine in the post today. Not touching the car with it though until I've got the ETM changed on Friday...

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 22:05
...and ?:rally_dri

just got back from the test drive lol. Thought i'd wait until the roads were a lot clearer.
For those who don't know, before my c70 i had and 850 t-5r manual, which had the original rica304 remap on.It ran faultlessly from purchase until i sold the car. It made a great difference, however what i found was that above 4500 revs it just ran out of puff. This was my concern before buying the rica ppc for the c70. I thought even though the c70 has the me7 engine etc i was concerned that because it's still basically an "off the shelf remap" it would perform the same.

Well, bugger me lol, it pulls like a train all the way to the redline.Very very smooth delivery.3 digit speeds came up very quickly. The most important thing to me is being in 4th or 5th and being able to put foot to the floor without having to change down and make rapid progress.
My concerns about the old rica304 out of puff scenario is a distant memory.

very very happy.

thanks to Russ at R.T's for sending it out very quickly.

cornclose
Thursday 19th March 2009, 09:45
Exactly what I wanted to hear (again) and exactly what I've heard elsewhere...

As I've said in the past, I'm hoping for lots of grunt and torque from low down, and the Rica maps being described as 'brutal' in the past seem to fit what I want the most.

Can you tell me what the response and torque is like from, say, 1500 RPM ?

uzyg
Thursday 19th March 2009, 11:09
Quick question from newbie here. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something...

As far as I am aware you can go down 2 routes with tuning;

-Either use the 'plug and play' PPC chip tuning device (I believe RICA do these)
-OR have your ECU remapped directly? (Cant remember who does these)

I do know that the 2 methods do make your boost/car respond differently in terms of the PPC having a sudden flux of boost and power after 2,500 rpm, whereas the other method has a more gradual and even effect throughout the rev range?

Are they different in how much they cost? And If anything goes wrong afterwards?

I do know that either method can slightly improve your mpg but is this correct for petrol models? or only diesels?

If it can improve mpg, which one would be the better to go with...or are they both very similar in mpg gains? I do know it all depends on your driving style but I wouldn’t want to be doing less mps than I already am.

The car is a s60 2.0 turbo

Azza
Thursday 19th March 2009, 12:16
Yes, the RICA, well mine does, comes in aroundabout the 2.5K rev range, and it makes one hell of a difference once it does..

wegal
Thursday 19th March 2009, 13:07
Quick question from newbie here. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something...

As far as I am aware you can go down 2 routes with tuning;

-Either use the 'plug and play' PPC chip tuning device (I believe RICA do these)
-OR have your ECU remapped directly? (Cant remember who does these)

I do know that the 2 methods do make your boost/car respond differently in terms of the PPC having a sudden flux of boost and power after 2,500 rpm, whereas the other method has a more gradual and even effect throughout the rev range?

Are they different in how much they cost? And If anything goes wrong afterwards?

I do know that either method can slightly improve your mpg but is this correct for petrol models? or only diesels?

If it can improve mpg, which one would be the better to go with...or are they both very similar in mpg gains? I do know it all depends on your driving style but I wouldn’t want to be doing less mps than I already am.

The car is a s60 2.0 turbo

You can pretty much discount all claims of fuel savings,they are so totally subjective to driving style and types of road.

The PPC / Softloader systems are generally the same software as you would get if you went to the company and had them install the software on site. The only difference is that you are able to remove the software if you should so wish and it saves you the trip to a tuner, which could be many 100's of miles depending on where you live. The PPC / Softloader systems are just more convienient.

There are many choices of software available, but the main ones you will find people use are RICA HLM BSR and MTE. There are others - many others but those are the 4 main ones used by people on this site. All of them work the difference between them is currently a subjective matter although things are affot to try and create a useful comparison.

Personally I use MTE and like it, others will say HLM and others RICA. There really isnt a right or wrong answer.

mikouk
Thursday 19th March 2009, 13:24
Mines ok but my power comes in at 3.5k rpm and keeps going to about 5.5. The mpg saving is a lie as you always tend to be a more heavy footed and you are advised to use super unleaded so it's definately more expensive to have the remap but much more fun!

Azza
Thursday 19th March 2009, 18:02
I didn't think it even "worked properly" if you didn't use Super Unleaded...

Piles
Thursday 19th March 2009, 19:53
I didn't think it even "worked properly" if you didn't use Super Unleaded...

I find if I have to use 95 RON petrol it runs a bit rough compared to higher RONS. Shell optimax is by far the best imo.

I see a very slight increase in mpg on my petrol ~2 or 3 - if I'm lucky(!), in conjunction with optimax. The software is the same for either method apparently - as stated earlier.

The real beauty of the ppc is you can take it off/on when you like i.e after codes have been reset by a garage inadvertently. The ppc can also be upgraded remotely when you modify your car in the future too apparently.

The ppc is a little bit more expensive than a traditional garage remap.

My advice would be to speak to Russ at RT mechanics. A pure gent who will have your best interests at heart and will advise accordingly.

HTH

Edit - Oh! Chuffed for you too Mike ;)

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 19th March 2009, 20:06

thanks for any advice
Mike

Hi Mike

if you wanted to give me a call i can explain all the facts to you and help you with any questions you have 01428 722144

Russ

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 19th March 2009, 20:08
just got back from the test drive lol. Thought i'd wait until the roads were a lot clearer.
For those who don't know, before my c70 i had and 850 t-5r manual, which had the original rica304 remap on.It ran faultlessly from purchase until i sold the car. It made a great difference, however what i found was that above 4500 revs it just ran out of puff. This was my concern before buying the rica ppc for the c70. I thought even though the c70 has the me7 engine etc i was concerned that because it's still basically an "off the shelf remap" it would perform the same.

Well, bugger me lol, it pulls like a train all the way to the redline.Very very smooth delivery.3 digit speeds came up very quickly. The most important thing to me is being in 4th or 5th and being able to put foot to the floor without having to change down and make rapid progress.
My concerns about the old rica304 out of puff scenario is a distant memory.

very very happy.

thanks to Russ at R.T's for sending it out very quickly.

Many thanks for the feedback Mike enjoy your car :)

Russ

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 19th March 2009, 20:11
I find if I have to use 95 RON petrol it runs a bit rough compared to higher RONS. Shell optimax is by far the best imo.

I see a very slight increase in mpg on my petrol ~2 or 3 - if I'm lucky(!), in conjunction with optimax. The software is the same for either method apparently - as stated earlier.

The real beauty of the ppc is you can take it off/on when you like i.e after codes have been reset by a garage inadvertently. The ppc can also be upgraded remotely when you modify your car in the future too apparently.

The ppc is a little bit more expensive than a traditional garage remap.

My advice would be to speak to Russ at RT mechanics. A pure gent who will have your best interests at heart and will advise accordingly.

HTH

Edit - Oh! Chuffed for you too Mike ;)

Many thanks for your feedback as always Piles :hail:

Russ

richiemat
Tuesday 24th March 2009, 16:21
Got mine in the post today. Not touching the car with it though until I've got the ETM changed on Friday...

Have you got your car back and connected up to the PPC yet Chris?

:rally_dri

tr03bor
Tuesday 24th March 2009, 16:31
I got my PCC from Russ for my C70 T5, have to say im very happy with it!

cookie
Tuesday 24th March 2009, 17:18

thanks for any advice
Mike

I'm sure Hamish will appear to explain at some point :)

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 24th March 2009, 19:31
I got my PCC from Russ for my C70 T5, have to say im very happy with it!

Many thanks i am not sure who you are though

Russ

Rob_ioClean
Tuesday 24th March 2009, 19:48
Ive got one too :) from russ!

love it!

cornclose
Thursday 26th March 2009, 09:06
Have you got your car back and connected up to the PPC yet Chris?

:rally_dri

Got my car back, not connected the PPC yet at all though would you believe! I've had it for over a week now, just havn't had time...

I've synced it on the internet, will be connecting it to the car later...

The Badger
Thursday 26th March 2009, 13:21
Hi Mike

if you wanted to give me a call i can explain all the facts to you and help you with any questions you have 01428 722144

Russ
thanks Russ,
i will definately give you a bell before i make any decision, it`ll have to be next month though, you know how it is ...too much month at the end of the money!
ta Mike

cornclose
Thursday 26th March 2009, 14:32
Connected, programmed, engine starts, but no time for a quick run! Damn those clients...

dave stew
Thursday 26th March 2009, 14:51
This is like that joke 'How do you keep and idiot in suspense!'

Get it down the A52 ring road with false plates on and stick it to the Communist Council!!!

cornclose
Thursday 26th March 2009, 15:39
Drum roll....

richiemat
Thursday 26th March 2009, 16:28
Drum roll....

.....all goes quiet while Cornclose takes the car out for a testdrive

cornclose
Friday 27th March 2009, 09:24
Haven't had enough time to properly 'road test' it, as all I've done is drive from Leicester to Nottingham and back in rush hour (once) so far. But, I'll give you my very first impressions;

Q. Did you notice a difference ?
A. Yes.

Q. Is it better than the standard map ?
A. Yes.

So, to quell any doubts as to whether it 'works' or not, the answer is yes, it does work.

More feedback when I've had a proper drive/play...

Azza
Friday 27th March 2009, 09:54
Hmm... not a particularly good write-up ;)

Course it works, otherwise there would be hundreds of disgruntled customers and loads of refunds and the companies would go out of business :)

What do you mean, better than the standard map ? You got the standard map didn't you ? Or do you mean better than the car was, as standard...?

cornclose
Friday 27th March 2009, 09:57
It isn't a write up at all, as I've said, I've only driven it for a short time in conditions not suited to seeing how it's changed overall (crawling in traffic for the most part).

It is a big improvement over the standard car - my current thought is 'how could Volvo have got it so wrong' - it's that different to the standard T5.

dave stew
Friday 27th March 2009, 10:41
Get it on the A52 or the Mansfield Road and see if one Nottingham's brightly painted T5s can keep up with you...

cornclose
Friday 27th March 2009, 10:49
Are you being ironic again ?

dave stew
Friday 27th March 2009, 11:51
Partially..!

Dream3r
Friday 27th March 2009, 19:25
Here is a thread on my PPC purchase last year for my 04 plate s60 T5, the best money I have spent on a car (so far :)

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4206&hl=

Goes like stink and is brutal at 2.5k, even more so with the BSR cat back fitted!

The map is definitely savage but that's what I was looking for, some prefer the more progressive MTE map, I cant comment as I've never driven with one but I love the ppc.

Suits me great as I'm up north too and any adjustments can be dome over email with Russ & RICA

RT MECHANICS
Friday 27th March 2009, 20:01
thanks Russ,
i will definately give you a bell before i make any decision, it`ll have to be next month though, you know how it is ...too much month at the end of the money!
ta Mike

Hi Mike

No problem you know where we are

Russ

RT MECHANICS
Friday 27th March 2009, 20:03
Here is a thread on my PPC purchase last year for my 04 plate s60 T5, the best money I have spent on a car (so far :)

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4206&hl=

Goes like stink and is brutal at 2.5k, even more so with the BSR cat back fitted!

The map is definitely savage but that's what I was looking for, some prefer the more progressive MTE map, I cant comment as I've never driven with one but I love the ppc.

Suits me great as I'm up north too and any adjustments can be dome over email with Russ & RICA

Hi John

Many thanks :B_thumb:

Russ

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 29th March 2009, 09:46
Haven't had enough time to properly 'road test' it, as all I've done is drive from Leicester to Nottingham and back in rush hour (once) so far. But, I'll give you my very first impressions;

Q. Did you notice a difference ?
A. Yes.

Q. Is it better than the standard map ?
A. Yes.

So, to quell any doubts as to whether it 'works' or not, the answer is yes, it does work.

More feedback when I've had a proper drive/play...

Hi Chris

I am glad your happy with your PPC even though you did not get it through me :shifty: only joking hope you enjoy your car's new lease of life :cool:

I will be interested in seeing your thoughts :)

Russ

Russ

cornclose
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 08:53
Hi Chris

I am glad your happy with your PPC even though you did not get it through me :shifty: only joking hope you enjoy your car's new lease of life :cool:

I will be interested in seeing your thoughts :)

Russ

Russ

But I did buy it from you Russ! Full review to follow once I've had a chance to play. Due to current circumstances I've had little time to drive it at all. :wallbash:

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 20:12
But I did buy it from you Russ! Full review to follow once I've had a chance to play. Due to current circumstances I've had little time to drive it at all. :wallbash:

Oh I did not realise sorry Chris do keep us informed as to how you get on

Russ