PDA

View Full Version : cam belt tentioner

craig
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 22:37
i took my 95 t5 estate to my favorite mechanic today to have a new cam belt fitted but he soon realized that allthough changing it is no problem it does have a hydraulic tensioner and in the book it says that you fit the new belt ,leave it for 5 minutes then fit the tension testing device and it has to be within 2.5-4 marks on the gauge (this is a volvo only tool which doesnt give a tension reading in pounds so the device that the mechanic would have used to set the correct tension can't be used) so he suggested that i take it to a volvo dealer where they can check the hydraulic tensioner is working properly. this is fine but volvo main dealer prices are astronomical. does anyone know of a way that the tension can be checked correctly or what the tension should be on a normal gauge? or does anyone know of a mechanic not far from stratford upon avon that has the volvo device? if not does anyone know if the tensioners ever need changing?
my car's done 156,000 but looks like its had 2 belts already. any ideas on this would be gratefully recieved. if not i'll just go to volvo and get ripped off!
thanks craig :bog:

swordy21
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 22:47
How about Hamish at VT?

craig
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 22:55
i suppose thats as close as im gonna get aint it.
thanks swordy

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 12:24
Craig,

My V70 should apparently have the tensioner changed at every cambelt change.

I seem to recall, but don't know why, that on 850's, the tensioner should be renewed every other belt change so it may be worth just renewaing the tensioner.

I don't know it that would still require the special Volvo tool though.

The VOC have a tool loan facility for members. If you're a member they may be able to help but the site is dead at the moment for some reason.

Regards

Andy

Vikingxl
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 12:27
Hamish at VT did the automatic tensioner and the cam belt on my V70 T5 last week for a fraction of the main dealer cost.
Rich

craig
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 21:13
thanks guys
i suppose it would be safe to just change the tensioner aswell then ,thats assuming the new hydraulic tensioner is working properly, but surely if a faulty tensioner were to cause an engine smash then surely volvo would be liable anyway? or is that just wishfull thinking ?
by the way rich how much did it cost if you dont mind saying.

Tomcat
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 21:29
Mine doesn't have a hydrolic tensioner on it, from what I recall its off a later/earlier car. Being ex plod you're never quite sure what you've got.

hamish
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 23:20
Craig,

Cost to do your 850 cambelt including new hydraulic tensioner is #146.11 + VAT ! (# = pounds) !
Yes that's Cambelt, Tensioner & Labour for 146.11.
Now who's doing the stealing ! You are !

Regards,
Hamish.

craig
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 23:50
well it seems youve got another cam belt to change hamish !!!!!
please can you give me your phone number and il get it booked in mate.

thanks
craig.

BlackBeast
Thursday 19th May 2005, 00:05
Does the V70 t5 have a hydraulic tensioner? How difficult is it to do a cambelt change with the hydraulic tensioner?

hamish
Thursday 19th May 2005, 00:08
Craig,

tel: 01527 577710 ! (as per the banner at the top of this page !!!)

It will have to be next week now, but give me a call tommorrow when I can see my diary.

Regards,
Hamish.

craig
Thursday 19th May 2005, 22:21
im off camping to perranporth for a few weeks the weekend so il have to call you when i get back

thanks
craig

spesh
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 00:14
Change the tensioner if you have one!!!!!
I didn't and it went plop, slipped 4 teeth, bent 10 valves, upset poor spesh!
Non of you lot want to go through any of this as it a pain takin the head of grounding in new valves rebuild again, lucky I done this work my self, but the parts cost an arm and a leg and a foot, so please change the god dam TENSIONER!!