PDA

View Full Version : S60 Cam belt & water pump advice needed

uzyg
Monday 16th March 2009, 09:25
Hi all,

Could anyone please tell me if the S60 2.0 Turbo Petrol’s water pump drives off the same belt as the timing/cam belt?

Reason I ask is that the local dealer was adamant that during a cam belt change there is no need to change the water pump, just the belts and pulleys and if you really need or want you can change the auxiliary belt at the same time.

Does anyone know from experience if the water pump is connected and if it should be replaced at the same time as the cam belt change? I remember my old 306 TD needing the water pump done at the same time.

I’d rather know what’s best to do and get it done all at once but saying that if the water pump on these cars is usually fine and doesn’t need changing then I’d rather leave it and not spend it all in one go.

Whilst we are on the topic could you shout out some figures of how much you have paid for such a job so I have a rough figure in mind when taking it to someone.

All help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim Williams
Monday 16th March 2009, 09:28
The water pump is driven off the cambelt but it is not normal practice to reeplace the pump when the belt is being renewed, if the pump has excessive play in the bearings or is leaking then ot would be wise to replace it. To do a pump at a later date it is not a big job.

thebadger
Monday 16th March 2009, 10:12
Had my cam & aux belt done at the same time, no issue with the pump reported by my spanner chucker, the pump is rarely an issue, usually it's down to hoses & tanks that screw up the system, the pump, I'm told, is usually quite reliable and can do around 100K before any real issue should be expected!

May I suggest a clean out of the system & check all the hoses! Also check the tank around the hose connections as I have personally lost a PAS tank to cracks in that area!