PDA

View Full Version : Real light removal

Rob S
Sunday 15th March 2009, 21:55
I am looking at restoring my rear lights or at worst replacing them.
Anyone advise me as to the best way to remove them? I've not pulled the covers of the inside yet, and don't want risk breaking them if it's basically inadvisable to remove them. (They're 15 years old now and probably brittle)
Also the front drivers side has some green gunk (Looks like mould) in between the indicator and headlamp. So they need sorting too. Anyone would think the car's sat around too much (It's only done 1200 mile between the MOTS recently) before I got it.
Any help appreciated!

Thanks
rob

t5 stealth
Sunday 15th March 2009, 22:05
hi,
remove the covers,then inside you will see nuts to remove the light units.
cant remember if they are 8mm nuts or 10mm.think its 8mm lol.
careful as you remove them cos the estate light units are 2 seperate items but they slide together so dont force them,remove them both together & then you can seperate them once you have them out....

Rob S
Sunday 15th March 2009, 22:10
Blimey, thanks for such a quick answer. I'll get them done tomorrow if it's dry then.
Nice one.

PaulZX
Sunday 15th March 2009, 23:17
yeh deffo 8mm bolts careful you don't drop the spanner down the D pillar like my nephew did, it takes a while to get at em..... :doh:

and not contradicting, but I took my top parts only off both sides, and they came off fine, you've just gotta be careful as you put them back on, that you line up the clip that joins the two parts together as you refit the top section....

The front indicators have a spring on the inside on the wing holding them in, 2 seconds to get them out. Also, taking the headlights out, removing and washing the glass can help brighten up the front end loads....

Rob S
Sunday 15th March 2009, 23:20
Thanks TFFM, sounds like a job for tomorrow if the weather holds.

kevin 850t
Monday 16th March 2009, 12:04
I lost about 6 nuts, i have big fingers, lucky i had spare rear lights.

flyingbrick
Monday 16th March 2009, 14:27
Hi bud. If you havent done it yet

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20364

If you have done them no worries.......

Rob S
Monday 16th March 2009, 17:11
Thanks mate, I've given them some coats of lens paint, and will be giving them a coat of clear coat tomorrow.
Fingers crossed it'll work, or there'll be off again and replaced!

Rob S
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 15:13
Having given these a quick seeing too, in an effort to save a few quid buying replacements, they've gone from this

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/robstaples/Picture027-1.jpg

To this

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/robstaples/Picture030.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/robstaples/Picture031-1.jpg

Quite pleased as it's only taken me a couple of hours spread over 2 days.

flyingbrick
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 20:55
They look very good indeed. Well done buddy. Too late for me I bought new V70 ones. I tryed all sorts on mine (except wot you did) and found they looked great for afew weeks or untill it pi**ed down LOL. I think I have saved money in the long run on back to black and other crap I used LOL........
But ye they look great......
Nice colour car by the way........

cookie
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 22:28
lights look good, but back looks naked without the spoiler

Rob S
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 22:48
I agree but does nt that mean drilling and glueing? From what I've seen it's about £100 worth of bits, and I've got to service it first!

flyingbrick
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 10:56
I agree but does nt that mean drilling and glueing? From what I've seen it's about £100 worth of bits, and I've got to service it first!

They have brackets that bolt onto the ringes inside no glueing or drilling matey.....
I have a spare spoiler in the shed but no brackets. You can get fitting from the dealers. Its white so would need painting....
Make me an offer when you have done the other bits to your motor bud..

Rob S
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 11:26
Thanks FB, I'll bear that in mind.

Tomcat
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 12:33
The fitting kit is about £30 from the dealers IIRC.