PDA

View Full Version : Brake Judder

Quicksilver
Sunday 15th March 2009, 10:24
My brakes have developed a judder under light braking that sometimes goes as I brake harder or gets worse under prolonged braking ie going downhill (auto), emergency stop are Ok.

All discs were replaced with ATE (OE maker for Volvo) less than two years ago when I got the car as the fronts were worped but the judder was much worse then and got worse the harder I braked.

I have a squeak from the rear brakes that goes in time with the judder under light braking, could the rears be worped?.

Any help appreceated.

wegal
Sunday 15th March 2009, 10:51
Generally if the judder is through the steering wheel then its fronts, if you feel it through the seats then its rears, although a severe warped rear will also be felt through the steering.

2 years on an auto isnt that bad I dont expect my fronts to last that long. I have brembos fitted 18 months ago... they are just starting to warp again so they will need changing soon.

gazjacko
Sunday 15th March 2009, 18:48
For the cost of replacements I'd change them and find out.

killersuzuki
Saturday 21st March 2009, 16:32
just in case ,
does it pull to left or right, or weave under braking?
worth getting all the info

.....I had front and rear discs and pads
and lower bushes last year,
(strut top mounts this year
£94 delivered partsforvolvo)

improving braking braking IS the best way to go faster!!

Quicksilver
Saturday 21st March 2009, 19:13
just in case ,
does it pull to left or right, or weave under braking?
worth getting all the info

No no pulling at all and last time I drove it a short distance no judder. I've got a strange squeak from the passenger front suspension so my be up for top mounts soon.

Wombatbomb
Saturday 21st March 2009, 19:17
just in case ,
(strut top mounts this year
£94 delivered partsforvolvo)

Watch them carefully, ScanTech top mounts are notorious for lasting about a year.

Quicksilver
Thursday 5th November 2009, 23:41
After much trial and error (and new discs & pads) I sorted my brake judder problem.

I'd checked my rear calipers and the pistons appeared free but the pass disc wear looked wrong. So checked pistons again and the outside piston on the pass side came out slower than the inside, after a bit of WD40 and working the piston in and out bingo both pistons come out at the same rate.

This explained the judder at low pedel pressure but none under high pedel presure.

Anyway I'm happy, the brakes are ace now.

Storm-Troll
Friday 6th November 2009, 17:31
The Judder is caused by the discs overheating.. I had it on my Mondeo ST24 years back... only happened after long periods of braking when the discs had time to heat up.. then more braking caused the discs to warp... but on short trips there was no judder as the discs when cold went back to their original shape. and only warped when they got heated.... eventually I changed them for vented discs and ceramic pads to help with the heat. and it never happened again....

LeeT5
Thursday 12th November 2009, 01:40
A long read but believe me, worth it. You will learn an awful lot from this man:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

:smileypul