PDA

View Full Version : Random auto performance

cherry1809
Saturday 14th March 2009, 16:23
It's been like it since I bought it really. If i'm just moving along at 15-20 and kick down, the car shoots off and pulls hard through all the gears. But if i kick down at 30-40 it doesn't pull as hard even though i'm flat to the floor. Works okay at motorway speeds too, just not inbetween. BCS messing about? Sometimes boost doesn't kick in straight away also when kicked down, and cuts in all of a sudden as if i've caught it off guard. Shall I just bin the BCS? I'm not interested in running high boost on these miles but it'd be nice to have consistent boost.

cherry1809
Thursday 19th March 2009, 10:19
Anyone?

Jon K
Thursday 19th March 2009, 10:58
I would have to say mine is the same.

I too would be interested to hear comments.

flyingbrick
Thursday 19th March 2009, 11:05
It's been like it since I bought it really. If i'm just moving along at 15-20 and kick down, the car shoots off and pulls hard through all the gears. But if i kick down at 30-40 it doesn't pull as hard even though i'm flat to the floor. Works okay at motorway speeds too, just not inbetween. BCS messing about? Sometimes boost doesn't kick in straight away also when kicked down, and cuts in all of a sudden as if i've caught it off guard. Shall I just bin the BCS? I'm not interested in running high boost on these miles but it'd be nice to have consistent boost.

Ye mine is the same too. Head recker....:confused:

volvokid
Thursday 19th March 2009, 12:55
Same here....

cherry1809
Thursday 19th March 2009, 13:05
Bummer, I'll get an MBC and see if that fixes it then :)

T5arrrgghh
Thursday 19th March 2009, 14:30
Is it not just to do with the way that the BCS regulates throughtout the rev range?

I have the same 'problem' on my t5r with only 4 gears 30-40 doesnt warrant it dropping even in sport and it just pulls away which is a bit of an arse as they dont really go for it until alot higher in the rev range... dunno i have wondered whether an MBC would sort it....

JelT5
Thursday 19th March 2009, 15:03
It's been like it since I bought it really. If i'm just moving along at 15-20 and kick down, the car shoots off and pulls hard through all the gears. But if i kick down at 30-40 it doesn't pull as hard even though i'm flat to the floor.

Can't say I've noticed this on mine; got me wondering tho! I'll have to check it out, all I know is the auto is pretty dismal for about the first 50m from a standing start :cussing:

Just spotted this was on the 850 thread, sorry guys- I'll find out if it applies to V70s as well!!

jez.w
Thursday 19th March 2009, 15:42
Yes i did suffer the same problem at certain speeds, my car would not drop down and would not accelerate as hard as it could, almost like it was stuck in economy mode and would just accelerate from the gear it was already in. Sometimes it would go like stink, other times it didnt.
Since i got the HLM rica it has sorted out this problem as it pulls harder, instantly kicks down and seems to go through the gears much quicker and slicker, probably due to the much faster acceleration. The HLM280 has tranformed my t5 into a much quicker car which pulls hard no matter what speed or gear you are in, it instantly accelerates now. Worth doing ECU remap/tune !!! Best T5 car mod for the money, totally transforms performance and i have gained a small improvement in MPG too when driven sensibly. I can recommend the HLM Rica 280 (£150) for the 850 auto.

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 19th March 2009, 17:15

is it not just the sports/economy switch being set wrong for your driving at that point?

jez.w
Thursday 19th March 2009, 18:12
I always had it in sport mode, but it didnt always kick down properly. I think it is speed and engine revs related, like the autobox cant always get the right gear in certain situations.

Jon K
Thursday 19th March 2009, 18:20
For me its not a kick down or shifting problem. There are no problems like that on my car and it lives in sport mode.

It just seems like some times it really goes like stink yet other times it doesn't.

callyuk
Thursday 19th March 2009, 21:14
i have an auto with mbc fitted cant say as iv noticed this but then never really tryied will have a check in the morning and let you all know if i suffer the same problem with mbc fitted but i am running a 16t as well so not sure if that might change things

T5arrrgghh
Friday 20th March 2009, 00:33
sorry to hijack but how does the 16t change things? or have you a remap?

cherry1809
Friday 20th March 2009, 10:45
is it not just the sports/economy switch being set wrong for your driving at that point?

Nah it's always in Sport.
Seems most people have the same problem, so it's just one of those things I think. :)
That Rica re map sounds okay, £150? Seems cheap. Will it be okay on a high miler?

Just checked and my nearest Rica dealer is Formula cars in Wellington. It's a good hour or so away, will i have to leave it there or is it a drive in drive out same day?

Jon K
Friday 20th March 2009, 11:01
That map I believe is exclusive to HLM so you would have to go there.

I think they also offer an exchange ECU service.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to clarify that.

callyuk
Saturday 21st March 2009, 10:37
sorry to hijack but how does the 16t change things? or have you a remap?

no it hasnt been remaped and tbh havent noticed much of a difference but as far as im aware its a bigger turbo than the 15g. it was already fitted to the car when i bought it and i havent really looked into the advantages of it yet.
as far as the original question is concerened mine does not suffer with this

cherry1809
Sunday 22nd March 2009, 16:50
That map I believe is exclusive to HLM so you would have to go there.

I think they also offer an exchange ECU service.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to clarify that.

Yep, just found the website and saved it to my faves :)

cameron
Sunday 22nd March 2009, 16:58
My HLM 304'd T5 Auto goes like a rocket no matter how fast it may be going from.

Standing start or rolling hit the loud peddle and it just lurches forward with great haste indeed.

The HLM 304 has transformed the old bus, even after all the unsureness with the Autobox being able to hack the extra horses, it is easily the best mod ive ever done :)

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

One thing to bear in mind though, your car has to be in tip top condition engine wise or you wont really benefit from it. I rushed in and didnt check the PCV System, its goosed basically but its getting replaced on friday thanks to Adam @ Readview, i cant wait. No more boost leak :)