PDA

View Full Version : cam cover

ajc106
Saturday 14th March 2009, 10:19
Hi gents just a quick one have found an oil leak from back of the cam cover is there a gasket or a sealer that is used for this thanks ajc106

cherry1809
Saturday 14th March 2009, 16:26
Check it's not coming out the oil filler like it was with mine, and filling up underneath the plug cover. If not that, Volvo use a chemical sealant which they charge about £25 for and it's the size of a REALLY small tube of tooth paste. Not sure if normal silicon would do it.

ajc106
Saturday 14th March 2009, 16:30
thanks mate have been under it all day defo from the back of the cam cover and running down past exhaust manifold and smoking will check out the sealer

850r boy
Saturday 14th March 2009, 19:34
Hello ajc106, Are you sure its coming from the cam cover? Bec if its that area its normaly the Cam shaft seals that leak. Hope that helps

timbo_1975
Saturday 14th March 2009, 20:20
DO NOT use silicone sealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cam cover holds the cams in, against the spring pressure from the valve springs, so if you do need to remove it to cure the leak, then you must do it correctly, with the special tools, otherwise it will end in tears.

ajc106
Saturday 14th March 2009, 21:16
no not the camshaft carrier the cover over the top of the engine that holds the oil cap

Alan M
Sunday 15th March 2009, 12:02
no not the camshaft carrier the cover over the top of the engine that holds the oil cap

The black plastic? The aluminium upper cam cover is the camshaft carrier and holds the cams down under pressure from the Valve springs and must (as above) be removed and fitted correctly or big problems will be had. Rufe supplies an aplicator and sealant for this job if you are confident and comfortable to do the repairs. Silicone if not used very sparingly will spread out under the faces when sealed and get onto the cams and get into your oil then more than likely gather in an oil gallery or pick up pipe and cause some big problems.

topfuel
Monday 16th March 2009, 21:22
we use a rtv sealer to seal all the engines. i can get the name if you are not sure..

terry
p.s i used to build si6 engines..now building 5.0lt jag engines