PDA

View Full Version : Automatic

C70
Thursday 12th March 2009, 12:59
Can anyone tell me over years is it detrimental to use just the park on the gearbox and not handbrake

Just had catastrophic rear brake collapse on drivers rear, and wonder if anyone had any thoughts?

dooby
Thursday 12th March 2009, 13:02
Don't think there's anything wrong with using Park, the Americans use it all the time (often instead of the hand brake). I personally probably wouldn't use it if parking on the kind of slope where I'd leave a manual car in-gear as well as the handbrake, but on flatish or shallow incline it should hold.

I think you just have to be aware that the way it works, if someone shunts you from behind whilst in Park then the 'pin' will snap off inside the gearbox which will be a pain to fix :-)

That's not an issue when parking on my drive, but I don't use Park when stopped at a junction for a long time, I use the handbrake.

Does that make any sense?

HTH, Pete

cornclose
Thursday 12th March 2009, 13:24
I always apply the handbrake before engaging park, so that if I'm on a slight slope, the weight of the vehicle is held by the brakes rather than the transmission.

flyingbrick
Thursday 12th March 2009, 13:29
I use my handbrake only. I dont put in park I leave mine in first gear for the reason it will not start up in gear. I've had my 850 stolen in the past. Anything to slow the robbing f*****s down out there.......:mgshoot:

cornclose
Thursday 12th March 2009, 14:05
Can't do that on P2's (well, at least not on mine...). If it's not in park, you can't take the key out of the ignition.

flyingbrick
Thursday 12th March 2009, 14:53
See if you can after you have taken the key out.

C70
Thursday 12th March 2009, 14:54
you can with shift lock override

dooby
Thursday 12th March 2009, 14:58
Can anyone tell me over years is it detrimental to use just the park on the gearbox and not handbrake

Just had catastrophic rear brake collapse on drivers rear, and wonder if anyone had any thoughts?

In case I misunderstood the post, there's a thread over on the VOC about non-genuine handbrake shoes de-laminating and separating in the spinning hub, causing a lot of damage (as well as being potentially very dangerous). Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

Cheers, Pete

C70
Thursday 12th March 2009, 15:02
Yes thats what they say has happened, can u send me the link to that?

dooby
Thursday 12th March 2009, 15:30
Hiya,

did a quick search for recent threads on 'handbrake' and got these which I think are relevant to you:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65897

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67578

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65860

HTH, Pete

C70
Friday 13th March 2009, 14:10
Spot on Dobby, got car back yesterday and not much change from £2k with the damage caused

Front brakes and reverse sensor were also repaired

About £1100 damage caused by this

dooby
Friday 13th March 2009, 14:47
Mental note, think I'll replace my handbrake assembly with genuine when I put my new rear brakes on.

Sorry to hear your bad news :-(

Cheers, Pete

C70
Friday 13th March 2009, 16:08
My car has always been into Volvo, since new, so not sure how accurate the non geniune part is - as I vry much doubt a dealer would use non geniune bits

pookie
Friday 13th March 2009, 16:58
Because of the actual use that the handbrake shoes have, i.e. they don't actually stop the car. They only clamp to a stationary drum, and because of this the wear on these shoes will be really minimal. I believe, because of this that the shoes that fail are genuine volvo parts. After all volvo will buy all the brake parts in and not manufacture them themselves. It was for this reason that I used mintex shoes on my last volvo when the linings parted company with the shoes ( fortunately without damage).

Pookie

dooby
Friday 13th March 2009, 17:41
Hi guys,

OK useful info - I guess I meant I would replace just because of age not 'cos of what I currently have on there (which I assume is the original Volvo part).

Interesting to hear it's probably a Volvo part that's failed in C70s case.

Pookie, is there any design difference with the Mintex part, e.g. the friction material is rivited to the shoe instead of laminated or something? Just interested whether it's better by design than a Volvo part (and if so, why).

Thanks, Pete

pookie
Friday 13th March 2009, 20:55
No, there's no design difference but I do know that mintex is a good quality manufacturer. I don't know who manufactured the volvo shoes.

Pookie

v70torslanda
Friday 13th March 2009, 22:38
Volvo shoes are probably Jurid, most of the other 'genuine' friction materials are.

My two pennorth: It's probably not the shoes that have a fault, inherent or individual. It's more likely down to a lack of maintenace, the parking brake performance is 'check and adjust as necessary' in the service schedule and it's 'out of sight, out of mind' when it comes to cleaning and inspection.

Rear brakes are a very hostile environment. Handbrake shoes should be stripped and cleaned/lubed/adjusted every major service, every year as the car gets older. Technicians who are effectively on piecework will not do this as it costs them time and earns them no bonus. . .

My handbrake shoes delaminated at about 95,000 this time last year, I recognised the symptoms and had discs, pads and shoes changed PDQ.

I am truly gobsmacked by the two grand bill, thoughbut! What has been changed for that money? the back axle?