PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help

T5 ROB
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 13:43
Hi, I'm going to change my suspension but not sure what to go for, what to you think of just changing the springs (GMax, Eibach or H&R), do these work well with the standard shocks and which make would you recommend, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

PaulZX
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 13:57
I've got Gmax with standard shocks, and she grips way better than stock. I am gonna put gas shocks on her before the MOT, but to be fair, she goes round courners well for an estate...

Obviously you'd be better off with some fancy coilover type £700 setup, but how often would you need that extra bit depends on how and where you're driving. Alot of track days would justify the extra, and IMO, if you're just on roads, and you want her to look a bit meaner, and corner a bit tighter, go for gmax, PI, or summat like them, and stick a strut brace on, you can get them for about the £80 mark from fleabay.

T5 ROB
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 17:41
Does anyone know what the difference is between the £100 ones and the £200 ones, is the extra money really worth it.

My T5
Thursday 12th March 2009, 09:11
Hi Rob,Ive got Eibach springs with 850r shocks.The springs made a huge difference to the handling.They drop the car car by 30mm on the front and 25mm on the rear which levels the car out nicely(most 850's sit a bit arse end down).Also consider doing your front top strut mounts while the whole lot is apart.A strut brace was the icing on the cake after fitting the springs,it just tightens every thing up and glides round corners.
If you were near me id offer you a drive in mine but Lincoln aint that close to me!!

T5 ROB
Thursday 12th March 2009, 09:33
Thanks for the advice, I've got a strut brace and it made the handling alot better, how much would you recommend lowering it 30mm or 40mm and how much do the top mounts cost and would I need anything else like drop links etc.

My T5
Thursday 12th March 2009, 19:45
Its down to personal taste as to how far to drop the car but i wanted to keep it subtle and standard looking.I put 17" tethys alloys on at the same time and it now sits roughly at standard ride height(look at pic on signature) but much improved handling.
Id keep it sensible with lowering if i were you otherwise you may get scrubbing issues.
What tyre size are you running on the dare alloys?

T5 ROB
Friday 13th March 2009, 08:46
I've got 215/45/17 on at the moment but will be going to either 205/40 or 215/40 when I get rid of the Nankang's i've got on.

My T5
Friday 13th March 2009, 09:04
205/40/17 may look stretched across your wheels mate.Ive used 215/40/17's and had no problems.Have you got any pics on here of your car? Your spec list sounds interesting.

T5 ROB
Friday 13th March 2009, 09:25
Your probable right with the 205/40, I'll go with the 215/40 if your having no problems with rubbing.

This link is the pics of my car, not bad for £700, still a bit more to do, I'm addicted to spending money on it.
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20658