PDA

View Full Version : Non Volvo brake discs and pads

MisterC1501
Sunday 8th March 2009, 10:21
Apart from the Porche and AP Racing brake upgrades, has anyone fitted non Volvo 302mm discs and pads?

Have seen some drilled discs, and some grooved discs, and the EBC red/yellow/green pads but I've only ever had the genuine Volvo spec fitted to my V70R.

If you have other than Volvo discs or pads, how do these compare to the original

flyingbrick
Sunday 8th March 2009, 10:28
Hi. I have got EBC drilled and grooved discs with green stuff pads. There not as good as standard untill IMO there hot. When I am coming home from work its a 2 minute drive to the motorway 10 minutes later when I am coming of the slip road at speed I get some fade (a bit scary) Round down when hot there great. I will be going back to lucas brakes when these are done.
Cheers Mark...

MisterC1501
Sunday 8th March 2009, 10:31
Hi. I have got EBC drilled and grooved discs with green stuff pads. There not as good as standard untill IMO there hot. When I am coming home from work its a 2 minute drive to the motorway 10 minutes later when I am coming of the slip road at speed I get some fade (a bit scary) Round down when hot there great. I will be going back to lucas brakes when these are done.
Cheers Mark...

Hi Mark

Do you find that with grooved discs, these accelerate the wear of the pads?

What are the Lucas type....are these just pads, or both.

flyingbrick
Sunday 8th March 2009, 11:03
What are the Lucas type....are these just pads, or both.[/QUOTE]

Both pads and discs..Lucas (TRW) supply loads of OE not sure who makes them for volvo. Anyway I know that trw manufacture in the EU. Not asia !!

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 00:44
Ferrodo performance pads can't speak too highly of them, have tried the rest now have the best

Terminator
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 12:23
Ferodo performance pads can't speak too highly of them, have tried the rest now have the best

Great for track days but take a while to warm up so not so good for normal driving.

IMO you cannot go wrong with Volvo disks and pads unless you are doing track days in which case; Volvo disks, Ferodo DS2500 pads and Motul Racing brake fluid (available from www.opieoils.co.uk).

Al115
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 12:33
<-- what he said

I only ever hear bad things about EBC pads on our cars.

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 12:34
I have not found that problem, I would agree with ds2500 racing pads but with the performance pads they perform so much better than the OMP that it's very noticable. My son's also got a T5 which he quickly changed to performance pads from OMP after driving my car, both with 302mm discs.

Liddo
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 13:18
Ive just had fitted Mintex 302's and Pads. Bought them off Ebay for (i think) £80 delivered.

They seem ok, but I get intermitant brake judder, but no wheel shake (its weird) so Im putting it down to the wishbones, which Im having replaced soon ;)

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 13:21
If you was'nt getting judder before you replaced the discs/pads then it wont be judder from wishbones will it?

Liddo
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 13:35
If you was'nt getting judder before you replaced the discs/pads then it wont be judder from wishbones will it?

Dunno mate, Im not too sure if my wishbones were being masked by the old disks and pads, and the fact that the whole system needed bleeding badly. I had to previously pump the pedal to get them to work :mad: The new ones seem REALLY good quality, and Ive only done about carefull 700 miles on them, AND, the judder is intermitant, which, from what ive read, is possibly wishbones :(

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:25
Well if it is put a thread on because it would be interesting to note for us all!

p fandango
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:41
this is the reason i wouldn't touch EBC discs again, crazing all over the disc not just the area pictured. I do like the pads tho

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/39e3ba8150.jpg

Liddo
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:43
Well if it is put a thread on because it would be interesting to note for us all!

Will do ;)

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:43
Ferrodo performance pads can't speak too highly of them, have tried the rest now have the best

I assume you've never heard of Dixcell or Carbotech XP8's then?

MisterC1501
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 23:25

NO......................any good??

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 23:39
I have the drilled and groved discs that are on ebay i think the seller is called motor sport fabrications these discs have been fine with no problems and i use genuine volvo pads i once got brake fade when i had the 280mm standard discs on the main reason i got the drilled and groved is because i think they look good but i would say you have to drive the car and brakes hard to get any benafit from them

Tim Williams
Friday 3rd April 2009, 09:13
Most drilled discs will crack if used hard, if you don't use them hard then why buy them unles its a show car. If you want disks with holes in it's a lot better to buy ones with the holes in when cast.

mauler
Friday 3rd April 2009, 16:11
I have an old 3ltr 960 and decided to upgrade the discs/pads, i went for black diamond combi discs with their on make of predator pads, what a difference it made to the feel and stopping power compared to standard, there could be some who dont like black diamond but i for one find them a good upgrade to standard at a reasonable price, also changed brake fluid to DOT 5 as the car is used for the dreaded caravan, track day d the car at Marham last October and the brakes coped quite well only when being very over enthusiastic was there any slight fading. But at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.

marky 76
Friday 3rd April 2009, 17:10

the ds3000 are a better pad than the ds2500 and the xp 10 are also better than the xp 8 , there are alot of better pads out there than mintex ebc and the likes of omp it all depends what you want from the pads ???? elliot has had first hand experience with carbotech pads which i havent but have tried various project mu pads aswell as carbone lorraine pads , but and a big but myself and elliot have better ( upgraded ) callipers so there are more options open to us

t5 pete
Friday 3rd April 2009, 17:41
Most drilled discs will crack if used hard, if you don't use them hard then why buy them unles its a show car. If you want disks with holes in it's a lot better to buy ones with the holes in when cast.

Thats why i said i got them because i think they look good so it was more cosmetic rather than going for better brakes.
My brakes never get much hammer but for me they seem to be very good and havent had any problems.
My freind had the ebc drilled and grooved discs on his car and managed to crack them.

LeeT5
Tuesday 21st April 2009, 17:55
Ive just had fitted Mintex 302's and Pads. Bought them off Ebay for (i think) £80 delivered.

They seem ok, but I get intermitant brake judder, but no wheel shake (its weird) so Im putting it down to the wishbones, which Im having replaced soon ;)

I can't believe your just second guessing what the real problem is and just putting it down to something and hoping your right! That's how garages go out of business...for second guessing and ripping people off. Chances are there is nothing wrong with your wishbone 'bushes' so why just change them? :doh: There are tried and tested methods and ways to check components to see if they are worn.

Judder could be down to any number of things including wheel alignment, wheel bearings, steering rack drumsticks (mine are knackered and being replaced tomorrow), warped discs to name but a few...

If you wanna throw money away then give it to me:D