PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake only works on passenger side!!

My T5
Saturday 7th March 2009, 15:52
Hey all,M.O.T time soon and only one side of the handbrake does anything.Is it a common problem and what am i looking at replacing? Cables,shoes or what else?Im going to my local garage to put it on the rollers next week to check the effort on both sides.Any help appreciated>

pookie
Saturday 7th March 2009, 21:21
Quite a common problem is for the brake lining becoming detached from the handbrake shoes. Rear wheel,caliper and disc removal. All will be revealed.

Pookie

robertbarryz250
Saturday 7th March 2009, 21:35
iv got the same problem on my t5r if u take the rear calipers off strip the pistons out n clean them up with soft wire wool that should see you in the rite direction

pookie
Sunday 8th March 2009, 01:15
The handbrake on these cars is nothing to do with the pads or calipers. The handbrake mechanism is INSIDE the disc. As I said remove the caliper ( undo the caliper bolts and carefully pull out of the way and remove the disc.

Pookie

dannt5
Sunday 8th March 2009, 01:32
I agree with pookie,removal of the disk is your best bet to see if the cable/linkage is seized up.Cars this age are starting to suffer from cables becoming seized/broken & h/brake shoes wearing out or the linning falling apart,easy enough to fix tho.

Storm-Troll
Sunday 8th March 2009, 09:19
um...... what is the handbrake doing on the passenger side of the car anyway??.. should'nt it be in the middle between the front seats where they hide them on most cars?:hidesbehi

My T5
Sunday 8th March 2009, 14:02
um...... what is the handbrake doing on the passenger side of the car anyway??.. should'nt it be in the middle between the front seats where they hide them on most cars?:hidesbehi

I never said the handbrake lever! Thanks for all the useful posts guys.

Shortbusdriver1969
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 19:00

there is always one LoL and dont be hiding behind the bloody sofa coward !!!!

mexybhouy
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 21:17
do wot i do & use an ANCOR!!!!!!!!!!

woz
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 22:19
Mine goes slower on the left too - I thought cos thats where Mrs Woz sits shouting "slow down"

LOLLOL

mk3phill
Thursday 12th March 2009, 03:27
it musb be a think with the carts minre does it too on passengert side""""""!!!!!!