PDA

View Full Version : FITTED - cold air feed and drilled box

d14vd_h
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 10:33
righty, thought i'd let you all know how my drilling of the air box and fitting the cold air feed went since i pondered on it for a good few pages in the last thread on this subject!
anyway,
took my filter box apart cleaned the muck from the bottom drilled a 2inch diameter hole in the side and fitted a vacum cleaner hose (free) my grandad is an electrician, had a perfect fitting bracket on it so all i needed was 2 self tapping screws to create a seal, ran this through to the grill in the bumper and attached with cable ties. looks v neat and proffessional.
then i drilled some holes the size of a 10p in a line where the air box runs parallel to the headlamp,
then i cut off the S bend of my exhaust and fitted a Jetex oval tip which i got for £12 cos the lady in halfords couldnt find the price!!!!
so between 3000 - 3500 i have a nice meaty sound and it does feel as if my car is less stodgy.
i havent put any mesh on the end of my hose that exits at the grille which i may have to do to avoid big debris
theres a slight burble at the back as i think the tip needs sealed to the pipe
( i like the sound but my mate says its bad for performance)
i do think its using more petrol but it could be down to me driving it differently cos i like the noise!?!?
plus do u think u get used to the noise???? cos i find myself wanting it louder now!?!?
thoughts and opinions ladies and gents

After_Shock
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 18:33
Yeah you definately get used to the noise! Plus the extra fuel will be from you keeping it 3500rpm constantly.

If you have only taken the end tip off and added a new one it will make no difference to the performance with a slight air leak.

d14vd_h
Thursday 19th May 2005, 00:10
Brilliant aftershock thanks a a lot,
glad theres no performance loss from the wee airleak think i'll leave well alone, ot bigger fish to fry what with my spolier being fitted this month!
gutted how easy it is to get used to the noise, and your right i am driving it harder just to hear it!!
cheers mate.