PDA

View Full Version : What Tyres Are You Running On Your T5?

DuncVolvoTurbo
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:00
It looks like I might be needing a couple of tyres for my Turbo, and as this would be the first time I have bought tyres for it, it would be good to see what you other T5ers are running, and your opinions on them.

Currently it has Pirelli P6000, and that could be an option (although there seems to be different types), but I've heard some good things from Toyo Proxes (but again there are different types).

I am not going to be doing any track days, it will just be a daily car, with some nice weekend blasts in the country. Good in the rain would be good as well, as I live up here in "Sunny" Scotland, lol!

What would you recommend???

Pandamedic
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:07
Everyone is going to say Eagle F1s!

However, having used these at work i wasn't too impressed with them to be able to cope with all the weather conditons with how we drive. Dont get me wrong they are still good tyres for joe public.

We've since started to use the goodyear optigrips (225/45/17s) which we've found are far better then the eagle f1s and seem to hold the road alot better at speed in all weather conditions.

However, on my car i've stuck the goodyear nct5s on them as overall they handle well, did really well in the snow we had and i'm hoping i'll get better milage out of these. But as they are the 1st time i've had these tyres i'll have to get back to you about that part

PaulZX
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:36
I've still got the budgets on the new rims I bought a couple of months back.

Durun I think they're called. Pretty good grip in the dry, ditchfinders in the wet.

NOT recommended lol

Vredstein ultrac next, I think....

siamblue
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:45
Uniroyal rainsport or something like that, going to try proxes 4 next,

Gary

PaulZX
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:48
Uniroyal rainsport or something like that, going to try proxes 4 next,

Gary

I had toyo proxes t1-s's on the standard wheels, and I thought they were pretty good, wet and dry, but they wore down in about 4,000 miles....

Pliskin
Friday 6th March 2009, 17:12
Ultracs all round on my 854 which are pretty damn good and Uniroyal Rainsport2 on my S70, which according to a lot of the independant reports is one of the best tyres available for £85ish.

Mytyres.co.uk are a good place to try.

callyuk
Friday 6th March 2009, 17:13
Budgets all the way woo!!!

LeeT5
Friday 6th March 2009, 17:46
Although my car is AWD i would seriously recommend Vredestein Ultracs. They wear even and last along time and best of all they look sexy as hell!
I have tried toyo proxes ts-1 on my old T-5 but tbh, they were ****. F1's are very good but a little over rated. Proxes are soft compound which is why they didn't last long.

Best advice i can give anyone is rotate and re balance your tyres every 6 months to get the most out of them....chances are the garage will find a stray nail or two like they did in mine!!! If i never got them rebalanced they would never have found and safely removed the nails, which were well embedded into the tyre, but hadn't punctured through.

Best thing is they only cost about £85 each fitted!

Size on mine is 215/40ZR17.

Good luck!

DuncVolvoTurbo
Friday 6th March 2009, 17:50
Although my car is AWD i would seriously recommend Vredestein Ultracs. They wear even and last along time and best of all they look sexy as hell!

Best thing is they only cost about £85 each fitted!

Size on mine is 215/40ZR17.

Good luck!

Where did you get that price?

si2500
Friday 6th March 2009, 20:22
Toyo Proxes all round...........fantastic and wearing well..........done 2k and hardly worn :-))

Volvostorm
Friday 6th March 2009, 20:29
I have Sportiva's on mine, they are made by Continental, seem to grip well, can't comment about the wear, as they are new! :P

They are also covered by a lifetime guarantee, if they get an un-repairable puncture, I only have to pay for the amount of tyre I have used, and I get a new tyre.

In 215/45WR17 I paid £67 each

marky 76
Friday 6th March 2009, 22:36
as per above you will get so many different answers , i personally run yokohama parada spec 2,s , but have my own reasons for that , as for people buying budget tyres just dont go there, the one most important thing between you and the road is your tyres why people buy budgets is just beyond me i have allways been led to believe that tyres are so important just my two pence worth

Tomcat
Friday 6th March 2009, 23:38
Whatever I can afford at the moment, I have Federal's on the front and Kumo's on the back at present. If I'm shopping for budget tyres I still go for names I've heard of.

marky 76
Friday 6th March 2009, 23:48
point taken but i was refering to budgets and i mean proper budgets like wan li and ling long you know the 40 pound a corner plastic

Pandamedic
Friday 6th March 2009, 23:53
Hankooks are pretty good. Still got the k105xl on the back of mine, although their prices have gone up to branded tyre prices last time i looked

Tomcat
Friday 6th March 2009, 23:59
point taken but i was refering to budgets and i mean proper budgets like wan li and ling long you know the 40 pound a corner plastic

Yeah I quite agree, I certainly wouldn't buy a Yin Yang etc....., I would prefer something decent, but with little or no spare money coming in I think any tyre is better than an illegal one.

roryscott30
Saturday 7th March 2009, 00:08
Avon rainsports, excellent.

iGGy
Saturday 7th March 2009, 12:12
My Proxes T1-R's seem to be holding up quite well.

My T5
Saturday 7th March 2009, 16:03
I had Dunlop sp sports on my columbas and rated them highly.If you wernt in scotland id offer them to you! On my tethys alloys ive got some cheap ditch loving,aqua planing,torque steering c**p. As soon as funds are available im getting a pair of decent tyres for the front like Yokos,sp sports,falkens or F1's.

gazjacko
Saturday 7th March 2009, 19:15
a lot of these are on 17s where as you, presumably are on 16s, so some of the feel will be different as your sidewall is proportionally bigger than those of us on 17s and 18s.
my only advice would be that if you're one for spinning the fronts up then you're going to get through them whatever you pick so in the budget v expensive debate I'd suggest mid range may be the way forward in that you get most of the performance with less overall expense.
I'd have a look at Avons, Kumhos etc and if you find one without a directional tread pattern all the better as you can spread n/side and o/side wear too.

Babybadger
Saturday 7th March 2009, 19:44
Don't do eagles, the vredestein sportrac2's, ultracs are better , I am running quatrac3's and they are superb for wet/greasy traction and braking. They take a lot to make them break away, and were good in the recent snow. They are 4 season tyres and in this country make a lot of sense.

toby
Saturday 7th March 2009, 20:02
Falken FK452's £45 ea inc. VAT from Camskill + £10 to fit at a local tyre dealer - good tye & a bargain !

My T5
Saturday 7th March 2009, 21:13
Just got me a pair of Yokohama Paradas! Looking foward to testing these babys out to see if i can put a bit more power down!

james
Tuesday 10th March 2009, 20:03
hello ive had my t5 estate 7 months now and had to get new tyres for the front when i got car 'sucker' i spent two days spinning old tyres round in wet the response from people on the side of the backstreets 'red light area sheffield.long story' was much apreciated . the toyo proxies are really good grippy tyres that will give you a new leace of driving honestley.but obviously the downside is the lasted six months which isnt bad as ive got an mr2 that does the same ammount of mileage on its tyres which i thought was a lot of the time.

and now ive gone for pirelli p6000 can anybody give me feedback on these ? they feel ?????????? lot of money to waste on bad tyres james

Adge
Tuesday 10th March 2009, 20:14
Continental Contisport 3 225 40 18. Seem good but don't drive to "the limits"!! Low level road noise.

cameron
Tuesday 10th March 2009, 20:19
I got a good deal on some Michelin Pilot Primacy £200 for all 4 with free fitting and balancing :D

205-50-16's

I cant really comment as they are brand new on friday but i'll keep you posted :)

tandino
Tuesday 10th March 2009, 21:20
and now ive gone for pirelli p6000 can anybody give me feedback on these ? they feel ?????????? lot of money to waste on bad tyres james

Pirelli P6000's are about he worst tyre ive ever had and not cheap either.
Toyo T1R,Eagle F1 GSD3,Yoko S-Drive's, Conti Sport Contact 2 & 3, Dunlop SP9000 are some of the tyres ive had on recent cars, really rated the Eagle F1's.
Conti,Toyo, Yoko and the SP9000's were all very good too.
Never understand why people buy cheap **** tyres, do they buy cheap brake pads too?...
I carry the most important thing in my life (my family) in my car and when its pissing down and perhaps i will have to do an emergency stop or swerve id like to think that the extra few quid i spent on decent tyres might just save our lives.....

My T5
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 09:08
Pirelli P6000's are about he worst tyre ive ever had and not cheap either.
Toyo T1R,Eagle F1 GSD3,Yoko S-Drive's, Conti Sport Contact 2 & 3, Dunlop SP9000 are some of the tyres ive had on recent cars, really rated the Eagle F1's.
Conti,Toyo, Yoko and the SP9000's were all very good too.
Never understand why people buy cheap **** tyres, do they buy cheap brake pads too?...
I carry the most important thing in my life (my family) in my car and when its pissing down and perhaps i will have to do an emergency stop or swerve id like to think that the extra few quid i spent on decent tyres might just save our lives.....

I agree. P6000 are over rated,overpriced and absolute dog s**t in the wet!!

WoodyWP
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 09:21
I agree. P6000 are over rated,overpriced and absolute dog s**t in the wet!!

Totally agree, worst tyre IMHO...... always nice to oversteer around most roundabouts when there is the smallest amount of dew, not..... been trying to wear my fronts down as quick as possible as I have a set of Mich's to go on.

gareth
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 09:51
Nokian 215/45/17's.
Holy crap!! It's like driving with Teflon wheels, on a ball bearing coated ice road!
They're going early next week and I was wondering about replacements so this thread is a help to me too.

P6000 are over rated,overpriced and absolute dog s**t in the wet!!
I'd agree 100% too. Utter muck. I had them on a Civic VTi saloon a few years ago and they were terrible.

T5 ROB
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 12:05
I've got Nankang tyres and there good in the dry but very entertaining in the wet, hopefully going to Toyo R888's or Yoko A048 next so I can do some trackdays, I only do about 5000 miles a year so wear is'nt much of problem.

polredt5
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 23:36
I have dunlop sp 9000 on front and dare i say p6000s on the rear(might change them out soon after reading some posts).I got the fronts part worn with 4-5 mm thread left.They have been on the car for a mth,and didnt really notice much difference to the cheapos that came off(WET).Until today,we had SUN(rarity in NW)first time its gripped in 2nd gear that i can remember!!So the Dunlops have my vote,just need a bit of Sun,LOL.

T5arrrgghh
Monday 6th April 2009, 20:05
Bit of a post resurrection but hey

Just put some yoko parada 2's on the front damn awesome tyre by the way far better than toyo t1's and falken 452's which just dont seem to be able to support the weight of the car in a hard corner even with some extra psi...
got 4k out of the t1's and 6k out of the falkens lets see how long the yoko's last! my 73 mini clubmman has a032r's on and they are half worn at 600 miles! its summer tho! well almost....

cherry1809
Wednesday 8th April 2009, 15:39
Another vote for the Proxes. They were new on the car when I bought it nearly 12 months ago, and I reckon I've still got another 1k left in the fronts.

DuncVolvoTurbo
Friday 17th April 2009, 12:28
Firstly, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

I honestly thought there would have been one tyre that would have been a clear winner, but it doesn't look that way.

I do have another dilemma now though. I really need to get a tyre now, so obviously I need to get a minimum of 2. What I am faced with is getting a pair of P6000 (as that it what is on it just now), or I could get a set of 4 Falken ZE 912 tyres for about £20 more.

I used to have directional Falkens on a Pug Turbo Diesel I had a few years back, and they were a good tyre. I've also read a few reviews on the actual Falkens I'd be buying, and they are pretty good (although they were for a Mondeo, Mini Cooper, Saab 95 Aero, etc), even if not specifically for a T5.

If you were in my position (money isn't exactly flowing at the mo), what would you do?

tomtyres
Friday 17th April 2009, 18:36
Vred Ultrac's FTW!
run about 8 psi on santa-pod for a wicked fwd launch!

JelT5
Saturday 18th April 2009, 06:00
Eagle F1s, plenty of grip when its dry...a bit frisky in the wet sometimes though!

snoop69
Saturday 18th April 2009, 08:10
think any tyre is better than an illegal one.

Im pretty sure after my experience of cheapo tyres that an 'illegal' tyre made
by Goodyear or Firestone would have been better then the utter ****e 'Talon'
i had fitted to my T5.

Absolute zero wet grip & a Google search on the brand revealed that even
though users were 'only' doing 28mph round town, when needed in an
emergency, the tyres took around twice the stopping distance of better
quality rubber.

Rob S
Saturday 18th April 2009, 08:21
I do have another dilemma now though. I really need to get a tyre now, so obviously I need to get a minimum of 2. What I am faced with is getting a pair of P6000 (as that it what is on it just now), or I could get a set of 4 Falken ZE 912 tyres for about £20 more.

If you were in my position (money isn't exactly flowing at the mo), what would you do?

If you've a tyre supplier in mind, ask them what they'd recommend for the car in that size. Tyres come up in different compounds and react differently under different loads. In this size, in different cars, I've had the Sportiva brand previously mentioned which were great, and also the Toyo TR1. The TR1 was on a 4x4 saloon, and they were progressive, gripped well in the wet, and like brown smelly stuff to a blanket in the dry.
Only thing I'd be a little concerned about them would be how turn in would be affected bearing in mind the weight of the car.
You've also got to be clear what you want from them as a priority. Most brands have got the champions, but bearing in mind the billions spent developing these cars, what would be the modern day equivelant to original spec?

crazy badger
Saturday 18th April 2009, 19:35
Goodyear Eagle F1 all round, although they came with the car and will need replacing in not too many thousand miles.

Will probably be using eTyres to replace them with whatever I buy.

My T5
Saturday 18th April 2009, 23:22
Right,Ive had the Yokohama Parada 2's fitted for approx 10 days and they are awsome!
More grip,confident cornering and a lot more fun! Highly recommended *****

Tomcat
Saturday 18th April 2009, 23:26
Im pretty sure after my experience of cheapo tyres that an 'illegal' tyre made
by Goodyear or Firestone would have been better then the utter ****e 'Talon'
i had fitted to my T5.

Absolute zero wet grip & a Google search on the brand revealed that even
though users were 'only' doing 28mph round town, when needed in an
emergency, the tyres took around twice the stopping distance of better
quality rubber.

There's Cheapo tyres and there's "CHEAPO TYRES", if you get my meaning. I certainly wouldn't fit a brand I've never heard of.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 20th April 2009, 13:42
Ok I don't have the T5 but...

having had P6000's in the past I did some extensive research and came to the conclusion that Kumho Ecsta Sports were excellent tyres.

So got all round 205/55/15 fitted inc VAT for £201.50.

To me it seemed pointless spending £80 + per corner!

They have been ace so far.

Tomcat
Monday 20th April 2009, 13:54
That's what I normaly buy,lol.

DuncVolvoTurbo
Monday 20th April 2009, 14:48
Well, I've taken the plunge and bought a set of 4 Falken ZE912 Asymmetrics. For the price, and reviews that they seem to have gotten, they were worth a shot. I'll let you all know how I get on with them once they are fitted.

lance
Monday 20th April 2009, 18:24
Mine sits on 17s and I just bought 4 uniroyal rainsport 2s for £62 plus vat per corner through a friend that has a trade account, mighty fine tyres and almost half the retail price!

DuncVolvoTurbo
Thursday 7th May 2009, 16:32
Just thought I'd update on the Falkens that I purchased. After getting them fitted for an unbelievable price of just £23 I took a trip up the A9 to Inverness. As you can imagine the weather wasn't exactly great, but the tyres performed extremely well. The trip back to Dundee was even more spectacular, as the rain was really coming down, and I might have been using a bit more petrol than on the way up ;). There was no sliding, skidding, or aquaplaning, and I felt confident enough to chase an M5 ;)

Depending on how long they last, I would be more than happy to put another set on once these ones have run their course.

cherry1809
Friday 5th June 2009, 09:22
Leaving the Toyo Roadpro's on the back, plenty of tread left and I'm having Falken 452's fitted on the front tomorrow, so I'll let you know how they compare.

GregE102
Friday 5th June 2009, 23:14
I had Dunlop sp sports on my columbas and rated them highly.If you wernt in scotland id offer them to you! On my tethys alloys ive got some cheap ditch loving,aqua planing,torque steering c**p. As soon as funds are available im getting a pair of decent tyres for the front like Yokos,sp sports,falkens or F1's.

I agree with above Always had Dunflop sp sport maxxx & rate them very highly usually get between 6-7 thousand out of them but then i abuse the living daylights out of them!

cherry1809
Sunday 7th June 2009, 09:21
Leaving the Toyo Roadpro's on the back, plenty of tread left and I'm having Falken 452's fitted on the front tomorrow, so I'll let you know how they compare.

Had trouble straight out the box as it was raining stair rods when I left the fitters yesterday and they were brand new.
Brilliant in the dry today, need scrubbing in a bit more and I'll try them in the wet again. Only thing I don't like about them is there's no rim protection, but on standard alloys I'm not that fussed.

cameron
Sunday 7th June 2009, 12:32
Michelin Exalto Sports, very good in the wet and hardly any road noise, Cheers Pete :B_thumb:

17" T5R Titan Alloys with Chrome Valves and Michelin 215/40/17 Exalto Sport Tyres