PDA

View Full Version : BT's latest phase

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 15:40
as i'm bored i thought i'd share the experience & bore you all with newer pics/spec of BT

Exterior:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/40984e2900.jpg

T-5R front bumper with chrome mesh grill
private registration plate reading “BIG T5R” or “BIG TOSSER”
headlamp wipers removed & under headlight panels replaced
RGM headlight eyebrows
day running lights disconnected
front fog lights removed
LED sidelight bulbs
front mounted IR camera
S70 washer jets
single windscreen wiper conversion
quick release bonnet pins
S70 fuel filler door
custom TWR pinstripe decal & window graphics
rear windows professionally tinted with medium tint
1995 spec rear lights & inner boot panel
passenger side front door handle de-locked
8 x 18 Fox R4 alloy wheels with 215/35/18 tyres
rear bumper modified for extra tailpipe
SAAB 900 rear spoiler
front wheel arch lining removed
front mud guards removed
USA spec front wing badges, replacing repeator lights
Nordic design mesh bonnet grill
boot re-badged as a T-5R

Engine Spec:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0e308171d1.jpg

S60R exhaust manifold
19T turbo
Forge Motorsport recirc valve blanking plate
Ferrita 3inch Stainless steel downpipe
QTP exhaust cut-off valve
polished & internally modified Volvo 960 throttle body
3inch stainless steel reverse flow intercooler pipes
3inch stainless steel intake pipe, including 3inch MAF sensor housing
Apexi AVC-R boost controller
vac hoses replaced with internally braided hoses
7mm double silicone HT leads
Bosch Blue coil
TWE oil catch tank
Powerflex top engine mount
Powerflew wishbone bushes
VW Vento horns
front/slam panel centre & bottom support bar removed
battery & airbox mounts removed
Powerflow stainless steel exhaust back-box with twin exit (one each side)
CCR cone filter
Scuttle panel removed
battery moved to boot using Nolan engineering alloy battery tray
throttle wheel cover removed
spark plug cover removed
radiator under panel removed
Volvo strut brace
Volvo 302mm brake conversion
Black Diamond braided brake hoses
Volvo lowered chassis option (30mm lower)
fan bypass switch
under bonnet sound insulation removed
DRE sequential shift light
launch control (automatic with manual bypass)
full throttle gear-change
Pro automatic turbo timer
upper radiator cowling removed
under tray removed
fuel injector rail cover removed
EVAP system removed
bonnet catches, cable & lever removed
excess wiring removed from loom (including repeator lights, aircon, cruise control, headlight wipers etc)

Interior:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/08ce3d7040.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b1f8c4b42a.jpg

Dino leather 3 spoke steering wheel (with Momo boss)
custom carbon fibre steering wheel centre
Sparco twin steering wheel buttons (left button overboost, right button working launch control in race mode, wipers & screen wash in road)
head-up-display speedometer (calibrated to GPS)
aircraft style starter switch
custom colour coded door trims
gear level shortened by 1.5inches
Race-X gearknob (colour coded & chrome
Race-X Alloy pedal grips
Cobra Monaco S bucket seats (passenger side on quick release mount)
Raceland clip-in 3 point harnesses
factory switches either removed or replaced with toggle switches
non-turbo gauges
radio removed
speakers removed
electric aerial removed
spare wheel removed
boot carpet & trim removed
dashboard removed
carpets, insulation & pillar trims removed
roof lining removed
centre console/arm-rest removed
wiring removed (including heated seats, speaker wires, electric aerial, electric windows, sunroof, mirrors etc)

Intended Jobs:

remove door cards
remove towbar & electrics
remove sunroof
remove ECU box & radiator cowling
remove bitumen sound deadening
remove carbon canister
remove rear arch linings
remove ABS
replace windows with Perspex
replace electric window units with manual winders

as you can see from the interior pics i'm half way stripping everything so some of the things on the spec list aren't fitted yet

Niles
Friday 6th March 2009, 15:52
who's been a busy boy then? Bet it's 'nippy' when are you going to cut the roof off & have the only 854 cabriolet? lol

callyuk
Friday 6th March 2009, 15:54
Oh god i dreaded opening this thread up after seeing the title mate lol but at least you havent had the angle grinder out yet :D

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 15:56
who's been a busy boy then?
theirs always more to be done on it

Bet it's 'nippy' when are you going to cut the roof off & have the only 854 cabriolet? lol
tbh the interior has only came out since its been SORN so don't know how much difference the weight loss has made, my aim for the year is to get a 13.5 quarter mile. I'm trying to keep the outside looking standard(ish) just to really surprise people when she does come back on the road

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 15:59
Oh god i dreaded opening this thread up after seeing the title mate lol but at least you havent had the angle grinder out yet :D
theirs not much to grind away really (couple of brackets inside), but got a few plans for the hole-saw once the interior is sorted

i can't wait till i get to work/play with your new motor mate :ices_rofl

callyuk
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:00
Lol dont think there much to do although still got the exhaust to swap over

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:02
Lol dont think there much to do although still got the exhaust to swap over
ah sorry i don't do exhausts, you got the starter switch sorted out now? (& is that boiler done yet lol)

callyuk
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:04
Lol yes starter switch is done and so is the boiler you can have your drill back now :D

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:12
Lol yes starter switch is done and so is the boiler you can have your drill back now :D
glad the drill lasted lol, you able to carry on with the rest of the bathroom now then?

BruceT
Friday 6th March 2009, 16:40
Top car!

PaulZX
Friday 6th March 2009, 17:01
go-go fandango...! lol she's not gonna have enough weight to give you any grip.... haha

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 18:02
Top car!
why thank you sir

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 18:03
go-go fandango...! lol she's not gonna have enough weight to give you any grip.... haha
don't you worry, i'll have enough grip to whop your back-side on the strip matey lol

callyuk
Friday 6th March 2009, 18:11
glad the drill lasted lol, you able to carry on with the rest of the bathroom now then?

Would have if some B*****D hadnt stole my money last month and this month bought the 2 cars so is on hold again lol

PaulZX
Friday 6th March 2009, 18:35
don't you worry, i'll have enough grip to whop your back-side on the strip matey lol

...of that, kind sir, I have no doubt....

LeeT5
Friday 6th March 2009, 18:54
Where does grandma sit then when you take her back home???
I have to say...looks like you've been busy and i assume it will be a track car?? otherwise what's the point?

The grille looks naff and i hate the wheels. Looks like you gotta lot to do. Nice colour thou. How much have you spent??

Good luck with the build.

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 19:17
Would have if some B*****D hadnt stole my money last month and this month bought the 2 cars so is on hold again lol
damn, well if you need any more tools from "Pedro's tool hire" let us know before i come down mate (& flog that bloody Seat lol)

p fandango
Friday 6th March 2009, 19:28
Where does grandma sit then when you take her back home???
when i had the normal interior in i did actually take my grandad for a run round the block, convinced him his 1.6 Sierra wasn't as quick as he thought it was lol

I have to say...looks like you've been busy and i assume it will be a track car?? otherwise what's the point?
mainly for drag runs & weekend fun but probably get a few trackdays in, one of my missions is to take it to the Nurburg Ring

The grille looks naff and i hate the wheels. Looks like you gotta lot to do. Nice colour thou. How much have you spent??
never been keen on the wheels myself tbh (there is a thread on here trying to sell them 2hrs after i got them lol), but they were reasonably priced & alot stronger to handle the potholes than my previous wheels. I keep threatening to buy some 19" BTCC rims. As for the cost last count the receipts add upto just over £10k, but thats including previous items not just current spec

Good luck with the build.
thanks

p fandango
Sunday 15th March 2009, 15:54
been out with scales & weigh'd a few things, i'll put some more up as & when

wiring protecton (plastic casing down the sills) 2.2kg
wire (including towbar electrics) 5.8kg
heater box (matrix & motor) 8.2kg
window motors (x4, no mechanisms) 3.0kg
total so far 19.2kg

callyuk
Sunday 15th March 2009, 23:25

total so far 19.2kg

-1 P fandango 15 stone saved :D lol

Dai G
Monday 16th March 2009, 14:17
what a awesome car! ive seen this car outside my house and always wanted to ask you what you had done to it but never got the chance.
if i see you again ill have a peep if you dont mind :)
if you need any bits off mine too you know where i am.

Here's my little project if you fancey a look CLICKY (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101894)

p fandango
Monday 16th March 2009, 15:17
-1 P fandango 15 stone saved :D lol
lol cheeky git, its either the car looses the weight or me (& you can see which lost lol)

i was tempted to get my mate little paul to take it for a run, think he's only 3foot tall & about 4stone but after managing to roll a 316 i think i'll give it a miss

p fandango
Monday 16th March 2009, 15:25
what a awesome car! ive seen this car outside my house and always wanted to ask you what you had done to it but never got the chance.
if i see you again ill have a peep if you dont mind :)
if you need any bits off mine too you know where i am.

Here's my little project if you fancey a look CLICKY (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101894)
Hi David thanks for the comments, i'm afraid i'll be in the 5hitroen for a while yet, but once BT's back on the road i'll take you for a spin when i'm about :)

thanks, might have to come & pay you a visit with the socket set lol

both my bro's have had a couple of Vauxhall's but must admit i do like your estate, the ewer wheels & bumper really finish it off well

p fandango
Monday 16th March 2009, 16:21
just been out & weigh'd some more stuff

wiring protecton 2.2kg
wire 5.8kg
window motors (x4) 3.0kg
spare wheel 17.2kg
rear seat back 21.9kg
rear seat base 6.5kg
rear seat belts 3.3kg
roof grab handles & interior lights 1.3kg
armrest 3.4kg
dashboard including top (no dials or controls) 10.8kg
door cards (x4) 9.6kg
pillar trims including front seat belts & pre-tensioners 5.3kg
screen wash bottle (full) 5.7kg
Total 104.2kg

Volvostorm
Monday 16th March 2009, 17:03
WOW! It soon adds up

p fandango
Monday 16th March 2009, 17:08
WOW! It soon adds up
it does & still got alot more to go yet

i'm trying to find the weight of the original Volvo seats because i reckon there is a good weight saving there, my bucket seats (including runners & harnesses) weigh just 15.5kg each :)

Dai G
Monday 16th March 2009, 17:31
Hi David thanks for the comments, i'm afraid i'll be in the 5hitroen for a while yet, but once BT's back on the road i'll take you for a spin when i'm about :)

thanks, might have to come & pay you a visit with the socket set lol

both my bro's have had a couple of Vauxhall's but must admit i do like your estate, the ewer wheels & bumper really finish it off well
Thanks for the comments on my car :) next time your up this way give me a shout, id love a little ride in yours.
dont forget to bring your socket set.
David

callyuk
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 01:06
lol cheeky git, its either the car looses the weight or me (& you can see which lost lol)

i was tempted to get my mate little paul to take it for a run, think he's only 3foot tall & about 4stone but after managing to roll a 316 i think i'll give it a miss

Id be very supprised if he could reach the pedals

p fandango
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 15:20
Id be very supprised if he could reach the pedals
thats no problem i'll just cable-tie the throttle open lol (did that all the way from Coventry to Torquay in my bro's VW when the accelerator cable snapped on the A46 lol)

callyuk
Tuesday 17th March 2009, 15:29
lol i remember you telling me about that

p fandango
Monday 23rd March 2009, 15:39
got my new dash/switch-panel finished today, it'll be going between the handbrake & gear-level

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a8de3c5f21.jpg

callyuk
Monday 23rd March 2009, 15:41
you been a busy boy
how was your weekend hope you enjoyed your birthday sorry i couldnt meet up

p fandango
Monday 23rd March 2009, 16:47
you been a busy boy
tbh i started it last night when i couldn't sleep lol

how was your weekend hope you enjoyed your birthday sorry i couldnt meet up
very good weekend thanks mate, it just flew past tho not sure where the time went. No problem mate hope things are getting better

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4a7d4689f5.jpg
i've mounted the relays onto the box as well now

siamblue
Monday 23rd March 2009, 19:35

total so far 19.2kg

Well that's over 1% you have saved there Pedro lol, got to be worth a tenth or more down the strip,

Gary

p fandango
Monday 23rd March 2009, 19:39
Well that's over 1% you have saved there Pedro lol, got to be worth a tenth or more down the strip,
ah don't you worry Gary, the list has gone upto 104.2kg now & thats not including the carpet & all the sound insulation which got put straight into the wheelie bin

13.5 is the 1/4mile target

p fandango
Friday 27th March 2009, 16:52
the socket set's been out again, window winders & SIPS blocks now binned. Another 8.6kg gone taking the total to 111.3kg so far :rolling_e

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2b7602e106.jpg

PS i'm desperate to get the weight of a factory seat i've anyone has got one they can weigh

siamblue
Friday 27th March 2009, 18:09
I have one not sure if the digi scales are working though, will try and get it for you by the weekend, i have a non elec leather if that is any good?

Gary

p fandango
Friday 27th March 2009, 18:13
I have one not sure if the digi scales are working though, will try and get it for you by the weekend, i have a non elec leather if that is any good?
that'll be perfect thanks Gary, mine were non-electric half-leather but close enough for me

spesh
Friday 27th March 2009, 19:16
13.5 is the 1/4mile target

13.5, you should smash that, i ran a 13.5 with a 19t and a map, you have way more stuff done to your engine than i did back then, i had the standard weight of a 850 t5, and super nan kans.

p fandango
Friday 27th March 2009, 19:20
13.5, you should smash that, i ran a 13.5 with a 19t and a map, you have way more stuff done to your engine than i did back then, i had the standard weight of a 850 t5, and super nan kans.
i haven't got a remap tho mate :wtf:

siamblue
Sunday 29th March 2009, 19:23
HI Duane i made it 18kgs on my old digi scales, not sure if that sounds right or not,

Gary

p fandango
Saturday 4th April 2009, 09:58
HI Duane i made it 18kgs on my old digi scales, not sure if that sounds right or not,
thanks Gary not sure how i missed your reply, tbh it does sound a bit light (my buckets & runners weigh 15.7kg) but thanks alot

Jod T5
Sunday 5th April 2009, 00:15
i haven't got a remap tho mate :wtf:

Must be ££££ if it has not got a remap.....I mean, remaps rule, dont they?....
Love
Jod............:)

p fandango
Sunday 5th April 2009, 05:52
Must be ££££ if it has not got a remap.....I mean, remaps rule, dont they?....
Love
Jod............:)
:haha:

lol how you doing mate?

PaulZX
Sunday 5th April 2009, 11:26
he's right, pedro... you can't fast without a remap... the vikings will get you....

p fandango
Sunday 5th April 2009, 14:06
he's right, pedro... you can't fast without a remap... the vikings will get you....
we'll see :mischievo

PaulZX
Sunday 5th April 2009, 14:19
we'll see :mischievo

oh we most certainly shall my spangly-named friend..... :ylusy:

p fandango
Sunday 5th April 2009, 16:15
oh we most certainly shall my spangly-named friend..... :ylusy:
TRAITOR lol

PaulZX
Sunday 5th April 2009, 17:59
bwahahahaha...... I'm just gonna start going through the paperwork, I've dropped hamish a line to see if he can shed any light on it....

PaulZX
Sunday 5th April 2009, 20:44
nowt in the paperwork mentions anything to do with a remap, but I'm sure that ECU's been fiddled with, at some point in it's life....

lets see if hamish can shed any light....

are there any known remappers in the cornwall area?

dooby
Sunday 5th April 2009, 21:29
Hiya,

measured the drivers seat from a CD spec model (full leather, heated, electric) at 27.5KG today. The passenger is heated, full leather but manual - I'll try and measure that within the next week or so...

Cheers, Pete

PaulZX
Sunday 5th April 2009, 21:35
confirmed for ya pedro.... I can get your car weighed, with a print-out, basically any time you want....

Pity you didn't say owt before you ripped her to bits, coulda got a start weight as well, at least you'll know the weight of mine, there can't be a great deal of difference between the 854 and 855.....

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 02:32
Hiya,

measured the drivers seat from a CD spec model (full leather, heated, electric) at 27.5KG today. The passenger is heated, full leather but manual - I'll try and measure that within the next week or so...

Cheers, Pete
that is brilliant thank you very much sir

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 02:35
confirmed for ya pedro.... I can get your car weighed, with a print-out, basically any time you want....

Pity you didn't say owt before you ripped her to bits, coulda got a start weight as well, at least you'll know the weight of mine, there can't be a great deal of difference between the 854 and 855.....
thats excellent mate thanks, still got a few things to get rid of yet but i'll be very interesting to see what the end weight is, we can always go by Volvo's book weight & just hope its under it by the end lol

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 15:52
got the dials fitted back in, used a piece of alloy L section screwed to the column support then the dials screw'd onto that. It does need a top bar to stop it wobbling but that won't take a minute

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5d530e4e0c.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b594aa3621.jpg
i couldn't resist seating in the seat & strapping myself in, doesn't feel like a Volvo anymore lol

t5 pete
Monday 6th April 2009, 15:58
God that looks empty i bet you will have lost quite abit of weight how much weight are you hoping for to be lost

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 16:04
God that looks empty i bet you will have lost quite abit of weight how much weight are you hoping for to be lost
so far i've removed 150.6kg, thats no including the carpet & a few other bits & pieces which went straight in the bin. I'd of liked to get it to just around 1000kg, but been convinced 1100kg is a bit more realistic. We shall see :wink:

t5 pete
Monday 6th April 2009, 16:06
Thats quite a weight reduction i hope it all goes well

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 16:13
Thats quite a weight reduction i hope it all goes well
thanks, so far so good (except starting the engine without the heater matrix in or pipes blocked, & spraying the inside with coolant :dunce:)

t5 pete
Monday 6th April 2009, 16:38
thanks, so far so good (except starting the engine without the heater matrix in or pipes blocked, & spraying the inside with coolant :dunce:)

Youve probley thought of this but would you be able to make a u bend with silicone hose so the system can still flow.

PaulZX
Monday 6th April 2009, 16:41
Youve probley thought of this but would you be able to make a u bend with silicone hose so the system can still flow.

oh he's probably thought that NOW.... AFTER mopping up lmao.... :D

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 16:59
i haven't looked into it much yet tbh, but i think the matrix is just T'd off the main coolant pipes so they can just be cut & blocked. If i'm wrong i'll just circle them together in the engine bay & block off the bulkhead mountings then

thanks for the idea anyway

p fandango
Monday 6th April 2009, 17:00
oh he's probably thought that NOW.... AFTER mopping up lmao.... :D
:finger: lol

p fandango
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 09:28
with the angle grinder needing a new disc i had to resort to second best & the jigsaw, & the front panel got it today lol

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e2e2a0db8a.jpg
even tho my front panel had already got the centre & lower supports removed from the panel the upper part removed today still weigh'd 1.3kg ;)

made a very handy contact at Santa Pod so got some very BIG weight savings coming up

PaulZX
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 12:37
fibre glass bonnet...? not fibre glass wheels, surely???

p fandango
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 14:18
fibre glass bonnet...? not fibre glass wheels, surely???
can't say as its a secret, but i have seen carbon fibre wheels before

callyuk
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 19:25
not still thinking of your carbon fiber roof are you

p fandango
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 19:49
not still thinking of your carbon fiber roof are you
haven't spoke to them about the roof tbh, but as someone has already gave the game away i will say there prepared to do a fibre glass bonnet, boot lid & bolt-on fibre glass front wings won't be a problem (have even been thinking of getting them to do new rear doors as well)

PaulZX
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 20:21
I guessed that before you told me, sorry bud... :(

p fandango
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 20:29
I guessed that before you told me, sorry bud... :(
no worries mate, i come up with many many plans but not all of them get put into action so don't mind giving a few away (altho i do try & keep back from you because i don't want to give you too much of an advantage lol)

PS you have snail-mail

p fandango
Friday 17th April 2009, 16:53
BT is now spending the night under-cover, i got bored & removed the sunroof but haven't figured out how to blank it off yet lol.

wiring protecton 2.2kg
screen wash bottle (full) 4.2kg (weight of new bottle has been deducted)
front panel 1.3kg
spare wheel 17.2kg
wire 8.5kg
dashboard including top (no dials or controls) 10.8kg
window motors (x4) 3.0kg
window mechanism (x4) 6.6kg
door cards (x4) 9.6kg
SIPS blocks (x4) 2.0kg
roof grab handles & interior lights 1.3kg
sunroof 18.2kg
armrest 3.4kg
pillar trims including front seat belts & pre-tensioners 5.3kg
rear seat back 21.9kg
rear seat base 6.5kg
rear seat belts 3.3kg
front seats including runners & harnesses 39.3kg (weight of new seat has been deducted)
Total 172.8kg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4a674e775e.jpg

siamblue
Friday 17th April 2009, 18:34
OE Brakes are very heavy Pedro, on my front KAD 6 pots are 3kgs and the rear KAD are 700g compared to 2.8kg for the one rear OE caliper,
so there is a lot you can save on that front, except it will cost a lot more than just junking things lol,

The main dash on these things weigh a ton too, i can weigh a bare 70 series one if you want?

Gary

siamblue
Friday 17th April 2009, 18:38
Ignore the dash bit lol, you have got to perspex the windows pedro lol,

Gary

Tomcat
Friday 17th April 2009, 18:43
Go fibreglass on the bonnet, boot,and wings, that would save a hell of a lot.

p fandango
Friday 17th April 2009, 18:44
Ignore the dash bit lol, you have got to perspex the windows pedro lol
gone lol

perspex windows are on order, one of todays jobs was to measure up the glass but i never got round to it so its on tomorrows list

p fandango
Friday 17th April 2009, 18:46
Go fibreglass on the bonnet and wings, that would save a hell of a lot.
i've been in talks with someone about that & said making them won't be a problem, the wings will even bolt the same as standard so won't have to cut anything about, going to get the bootlid done as well when i get round to it

Tomcat
Friday 17th April 2009, 19:16
???, What your talking to my competition, how dare you,lol...

p fandango
Friday 17th April 2009, 20:13
???, What your talking to my competition, how dare you,lol...
they came to me (sort of), its a husband & wife team who are currently building a race van for my bro. After seeing progress pics of the work he's done on my bro's van & his own i joked if they fancied doing any work on a Volvo, his wife who does the fibre glass work said no problem (& when i heard them quote for some other work its an offer that couldn't be refused)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/14550fd04d.jpg
after just 2days he'd already cut & chopped 8inches out of the roof line on the load area, the front is going to be the same height & single piece fibre glass. Current plans are for it to be powered by a rear mounted Audi RS4 lump :pimp2:. He has made alot more progress but these are the last pics that have gone public

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd140/philhrc/P1000065.jpg
his own van, with mid-mounted 5.7litre Chevy engine

p fandango
Friday 17th April 2009, 20:30
i got the idea to do this from Santa Pod, i've un-bolted the doors lol. All 4 doors (even tho i can't budge the fronts) lift off for easy access for working on the car

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b7732f3fdd.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8421f87ed7.jpg

Tomcat
Friday 17th April 2009, 21:32
Lol, I was only pulling your leg..

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 11:56
i have now tho :rolleyes2

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a2f8ef6edd.jpg
spot the difference

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1b334c2124.jpg
when doing the front doors i actually looked where the spot welds where, so i didn't mess up & cut a section out that attached to the internal skin like i did on the rear doors :wallbash:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/bac1435130.jpg
cutting the doors removed 3.4kg, Perspex for the windows has also been ordered now (also removed the carbon canistor which weigh'd 1.3kg)

siamblue
Saturday 18th April 2009, 15:54
Those mirrors and door rubbers weigh a bit Pedro, when will she be ready for the 1/4 mile?

Gary

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 16:07
Those mirrors and door rubbers weigh a bit Pedro, when will she be ready for the 1/4 mile?
i have got some replacement mirrors but don't want to change the exterior that much. As for when will she be ready tbh i've no idea, i've still got alot of wiring & a few things to remove yet

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 16:28
She'd better be ready for the start of august mate, or it might look to some like you're dodging a certain race.... ;)

siamblue
Saturday 18th April 2009, 17:29
So 1300kgs is achievable then lol, it should be great seeing how she performs,

Gary

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 20:31
it might look to some like you're dodging a certain race.... ;)
i'm shaking in my boots :wink: lol

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 20:33
pmsl, I can feel the fear from here.... me--->:buttkick:<---pedro

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 20:34
So 1300kgs is achievable then lol, it should be great seeing how she performs
i should bloody hope it weighs less than that lol. I can't wait to get her back on the road/strip, even the 5hitroen is starting to feel "nippy" so be good to feel the power of proper turbo again :dgrin:

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 20:51
you can have a play in mine when she's been rolling roaded if you wanna quick reminder.... :)

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:18
you can have a play in mine when she's been rolling roaded if you wanna quick reminder.... :)
thanks for the offer mate, i'll be patient & wait for the go-kart (BT) to be finished lol

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:25
you gotta have a go so you know how much betterer BT is.... you know it makes sense...

nb break it you buy it lmao

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:26
oh an throttle housing... I'm not finding them.... any places you know of?

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:27
nb break it you buy it lmao
thats what i'm worried about, your listening to me for tuning tips/advice & knowing my luck it would blow-up whilst i'm driving lol

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:38
oh an throttle housing... I'm not finding them.... any places you know of?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volvo-960-24v-k-reg-estate-car-BREAKING-FOR-SPARES_W0QQitemZ280332403989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2803324039 89&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volvo-940-960-spares-and-parts_W0QQitemZ250408461476QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item25040846147 6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

i'd give these a try

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volvo-960-24v-k-reg-estate-car-BREAKING-FOR-SPARES_W0QQitemZ280332403989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2803324039 89&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volvo-940-960-spares-and-parts_W0QQitemZ250408461476QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item25040846147 6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

i'd give these a try

damm, so I've gotta actually PAY my ebay bill?

PaulZX
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:52
dunno if you realised, but that 2nd one is a diesel

p fandango
Saturday 18th April 2009, 22:02
damm, so I've gotta actually PAY my ebay bill?
you could always send them a cheque or postal order lol

dunno if you realised, but that 2nd one is a diesel
got to find you the stuff & actually read it make sure its right lol, i only saw the title & assumes he'd got several cars he was stripping. Think its the 3litre V6 you want

p fandango
Sunday 19th April 2009, 14:48
while i had the front bumper off to remove the carbon canistor i thought i'd strip it & see what it was made up of, the polystyrene & spacer plate accidently got left off when i put it back together lol (3.4kg removed, total of 183.2kg now)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e6b0480710.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cb44c8d625.jpg
& still sticking to my aim of looking normal(ish) from the outside :)

dapc
Monday 20th April 2009, 13:20
nice build up thread!!! :D stripping cars and seeing what can come out of them are so much fun!!

p fandango
Monday 20th April 2009, 14:07
nice build up thread!!! :D stripping cars and seeing what can come out of them are so much fun!!
shouldn't that be build down thread lol, its amazing how much you can live without lol

p fandango
Monday 20th April 2009, 17:08
as its nice & warm today i couldn't be bothered to do much, i did get the clutch pedal switch fitted tho which is one of those little jobs i couldn't be bothered to do (as i hate drilling washers). The bracket was already there for cars fitted with cruise control, that system uses a vac line & valve so had to make a brake light switch fit, lots of wiring to do now :mad:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a11425cef8.jpg

PS my perspex has been despatched so should be here soon :pimp2:

JUDGENINJA
Monday 20th April 2009, 17:10
Hi P.F..... Have you had yours weighed yet... I ran mine down to a local weigh bridge when it was open and they happily weighed it for me....

mines 1300kgs....I've still got my front seats and sunroof to remove just for starters...

I still need a load of money to finish it..

p fandango
Monday 20th April 2009, 17:14
Hi P.F..... Have you had yours weighed yet... I ran mine down to a local weigh bridge when it was open and they happily weighed it for me....

mines 1300kgs....I've still got my front seats and sunroof to remove just for starters...

I still need a load of money to finish it..
Hi mate, no i haven't had it weigh'd yet but Mr Fridge Mover has a contact who will do it for me once its fully stripped & back on the road.

1300kg thats not bad, & you've still got all your dash & extra wiring in haven't you? I'm starting to think i won't be able to reach my 1100kg target :sorry:

know what you mean about money, i'm lucky that i already had the seats & harnesses but could still spend a fortune getting it how i want

JUDGENINJA
Monday 20th April 2009, 18:25
Hell No.....

Nearly all interior electrics have been removed.

I could be bothered building a dash, so heres what I did.... much simpler.

I've already got Perpex windows installed plus a few other bits..

Comparing yours to mine you should be in the 1200kgs being a Saloon I reckon you'll make it to 1150kgs before you start to struggle...

p fandango
Tuesday 21st April 2009, 14:34
Hell No.....

Nearly all interior electrics have been removed.
i spy electric window's tho lol (or is that an old pic before the perspex?)

I could be bothered building a dash, so heres what I did.... much simpler.
thats very similiar to what my bro did with his Mk1 Golf, i'd already replaced the switch with toggle switches so moving them by the handbrake isn't much of a problem & ditched the whole dash then
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2d48933c47.jpg

I've already got Perpex windows installed plus a few other bits..
my perspex has just turned up so starting on that is tomorrows job. Spill the beans, what else you done? lol

Comparing yours to mine you should be in the 1200kgs being a Saloon I reckon you'll make it to 1150kgs before you start to struggle...
say my target is 1100kg, but i can settle for 1150kg i suppose lol

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st April 2009, 18:12
Yep it was mid project.. elecy windows hadn't been removed, but they have now. The perspex windows fitted nicely. I had them cut with a longer bottom section so that I could use a nut and bolt to hold them up then some Silocone round the seal to hold them in place.

The big grider under the rear seat is supposed to be able to come out too. I haven't done it yet, cos I think that I would possibly need a roll cage to regain the stiffness.

p fandango
Wednesday 22nd April 2009, 11:36
got my Perspex windows done, saved 8.4kg by replacing them. Grand total so far 191.9kg, only another 8.1kg till i reach my first goal
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/64453fc85c.jpg

& i got my second set of bonnet pins thru the post this morning, so the bonnet hinges & springs can go when i'm brave enough to drill the bonnet again :rolling_e

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 26th April 2009, 21:39
....i got my second set of bonnet pins thru the post this morning, so the bonnet hinges & springs can go when i'm brave enough to drill the bonnet again :rolling_e

Well done that man!!! I don't konw if it helps but' I used the hook side of a claw hammer to release the springs holding the bonnet hinges. With those removed you've probably hit your 1st target.

Are you putting bonnet hinges at all four corners? I've retained the front ones for simplisity and added two at the rear.

p fandango
Monday 27th April 2009, 10:17
Well done that man!!! I don't konw if it helps but' I used the hook side of a claw hammer to release the springs holding the bonnet hinges. With those removed you've probably hit your 1st target.
thanks for the tip, i want to try & remove everything without taking the wings off. Did you take them off to remove yours?

Are you putting bonnet hinges at all four corners? I've retained the front ones for simplisity and added two at the rear.
i'm already using pins on the front corners, i used a small piece of L section bolted to the inner wings to secure the pins (then removed the front panel lol)

p fandango
Monday 11th May 2009, 12:01
had a quick mess with BT this morning, bypassed the heater matrix & fired her up...............& she still runs, checked all the lights & they all still work as well :funkybana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuwtr9NefDg
she's but running fully right because the ECU adaption hasn't had time to compensate for the mods yet

having changed my mind about fitting a VCR i decided to remove the camera & replace it with an external electric cut-off handle
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/6c14f02184.jpg

p fandango
Saturday 16th May 2009, 18:47
started doing the wiring for the switch panel now, honest it is organised lol
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3721/picturek.jpg

t5 pete
Saturday 16th May 2009, 18:56
started doing the wiring for the switch panel now, honest it is organised lol
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3721/picturek.jpg

Thats looks really smart i bet youve had some fun with the wireing

p fandango
Saturday 16th May 2009, 19:23
Thats looks really smart i bet youve had some fun with the wireing
thanks, its not been to bad wiring it up really, there is some planning where different systems have to work together (ie the steering wheel buttons are switchable between working the wipers or the overboost/launch control when on the strip). Other than that i just wire one at a time

p fandango
Sunday 17th May 2009, 14:59
while clearing out the garage yesterday i came across the rooflining & a bigger chunk of the carpet/sound-deadening that i thought i'd got, out came the scales again & i've now reached my first target of 200kg. I can't see it getting down to my final goal of 1100kg's but the next mission to find 28.7 to get below 1200kg

Item Weight Lost Kg
wiring protecton 2.2
screen wash bottle (full) 4.2
front panel 1.7
bonnet claws 0.6
carbon canistor 1.3
screws & misc fittings 2.2
front bumper foam 1.7
front bumper spacer plate 1.7
wheel arch linings (x4) 2.8
spare wheel 17.2
wire 8.5
heater box (matrix & motor) 8.2
underdash covers 1.4
heater matrix bulkhead grommet & pipes 0.4
dashboard including top (no dials or controls) 10.8
window motors (x4) 3.0
window mechanism (x4) 6.6
lightened front doors (x2) 2.0
Perspex front windows(x2) 4.4
lightened rear doors (x2) 1.4
Perspex rear windows (x2) 4.0
door cards (x4) 9.6
SIPS blocks (x4) 2.0
roof grab handles & interior lights 1.3
roof lining 1.1
sunroof 18.2
carpet & sound-deadening (not complete) 9.1
armrest 3.4
pillar trims including front seat belts & pre-tensioners 5.3
rear seat back 21.9
rear seat base 6.5
rear seat belts 3.3
front seats including runners & harnesses (x2) 39.3
Total weight removed 207.3
Estimated factory weight 1436
Estimated current weight 1228.7

PaulZX
Sunday 17th May 2009, 16:04
cut the springs, there's a good 5 kg.... door locks.... the panel that sits bewteen the rear seat upright and the boot..... I still say lose the back doors completely, and get a fibrglass panel made up, with the plexi windows in....

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 19:25
altho i haven't done much physically on BT i have done a fair bit of planning & some buying, thought of some weight that can be removed & got a couple more funky gizmo's to go on as well

also thought i might as well fit the GP2 mirrors i've got so another job for the list
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4656/pictureubc.jpg
can you tell which is the standard mirror lol

volvoturboman
Thursday 4th June 2009, 02:12
Thats a real nice car, looks exactly the same as mine. Don't know about the grill and square number plate. Maybe its just cause it looks so different. What kinda grill is that?

p fandango
Thursday 4th June 2009, 14:36
Thats a real nice car, looks exactly the same as mine.
thanks, the idea is to try & keep it standard looking from the outside just for the extra surprise factor (altho i am starting to break that rule more & more often lol[/url]

Don't know about the grill and square number plate. Maybe its just cause it looks so different. What kinda grill is that?
i've always liked the Alfa style square plate so thought i'd go for it

the grill is from Nordic & i brought it thru ebay (click here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-Grile-Sports-mesh-850-Chrome-92-97_W0QQitemZ390055923457QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad1250f01&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)), i've probably had it just under 4 years & needed the mesh glueing in twice & the chrome is starting to lift off now as well

p fandango
Friday 5th June 2009, 14:28
well today i've even managed to ignore my own advice, i've brought a Crocus ST 6-speed gearbox. I've no idea actually how hard they are to fit but time will tell lol

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2953/aa9b1.jpg

PaulZX
Friday 5th June 2009, 17:05
I'll be speaking to andy later, I'll ask him....

I asked him to do your codes, but I aint mentioned it coz I thought the RAC guy woulda done that for ya, but if you still need it doin, lemme know, he said he'd do it for ya, and he didn't mention renumeration....

p fandango
Friday 5th June 2009, 17:09
I'll be speaking to andy later, I'll ask him....
cheers mate, i think the main problem is whether the original T-5 driveshafts will fit, think everything else will be ok (not bothered about speed pulse as yet)

I asked him to do your codes, but I aint mentioned it coz I thought the RAC guy woulda done that for ya, but if you still need it doin, lemme know, he said he'd do it for ya, and he didn't mention renumeration....
if you could mate, the RAC bloke only deleted the fuel pressure code

i'll be round in the next couple of days anyway mate, with the intake pipe (& a certain disc i keep forgetting lol)

Tim Williams
Friday 5th June 2009, 23:03
[QUOTE=p fandango;233124]cheers mate, i think the main problem is whether the original T-5 driveshafts will fit, think everything else will be ok (not bothered about speed pulse as yet)
QUOTE]

The splines on the clutch are different to your T5 ones, a focus disc will cure it.

p fandango
Tuesday 9th June 2009, 11:34
well what an absolutely naff day. Uncovered BT to find my £250 boost controller sat in the puddle of antifreeze as the industrial strength double-sided tape didn't hold it, took me an hour to find the locking wheel nut key & managed to break the internal door latch while changing the door handle. Did get the mirrors fitted & one of the bonnet springs off (boy do they go with a bang). So now its shower & bed because i've had enough

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2006/picture001vxl.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5165/picture002l.jpg
if your thinking "phew you won't be able to see much out of them", you'd be right lol

callyuk
Thursday 11th June 2009, 09:53
i always wanted those sort of mirrors on my old calibra and they look good on bt to but why do you need them if you are just going to be using on the drag strip

p fandango
Thursday 11th June 2009, 11:43
i always wanted those sort of mirrors on my old calibra and they look good on bt to but why do you need them if you are just going to be using on the drag strip
still going to keep it to the basic legal requirements so i can use it at weekends & drive it to the track instead of the hassle of trailering

callyuk
Thursday 11th June 2009, 17:10
ah right i see

Murphy
Thursday 11th June 2009, 19:46
The grille mesh and light brows look heavy and have you thought about cutting 2" holes along the front bumper?

p fandango
Thursday 11th June 2009, 20:46
The grille mesh and light brows look heavy and have you thought about cutting 2" holes along the front bumper?
i did that on my bro's old golf & stuck some mesh behind it, i did like the look of it. The 850 has got a big flat reinforcement running all the way across the back so the air wouldn't get too the the intercooler tho which is why i haven't bothered, i don't really fancy cutting the reinforcement because i don't know what strength will come out of it

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7127/archive5.jpg

Murphy
Friday 12th June 2009, 17:03
I would chop it, and fit a decent cage.

Here is a fabia vrs PDF:
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/Fabia%20FMIC%20fitting%20instructions.pdf
Scroll to the bottom and see a FMIC behind a reinforcement bar. Some members improve air flow by chopping it:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/devonutopia/SL701437.jpg

Thoughts??

p fandango
Friday 12th June 2009, 17:30
I would chop it, and fit a decent cage.

Here is a fabia vrs PDF:
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/Fabia%20FMIC%20fitting%20instructions.pdf
Scroll to the bottom and see a FMIC behind a reinforcement bar. Some members improve air flow by chopping it:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/devonutopia/SL701437.jpg

Thoughts??
it looks like a squashed Nissan 300sx lol

i might take bumper off & have a look at the reinforcement again, i'll get the holesaw out just in case lol

callyuk
Friday 12th June 2009, 18:05
it looks like a squashed Nissan 300sx lol

i might take bumper off & have a look at the reinforcement again, i'll get the holesaw out just in case lol

300sx not heard of that before is that a mix between a 200sx and a 300zx :hidesbehi

p fandango
Friday 12th June 2009, 18:25
300sx not heard of that before is that a mix between a 200sx and a 300zx :hidesbehi
:buttkick: you know what i mean

p fandango
Friday 12th June 2009, 19:32
just found a pic with the bumper off, as you can see the front beam on these is a bit bigger/thicker than on the Skoda & don't think its a good idea to cut that tbh

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2232/85529137.jpg

p fandango
Sunday 14th June 2009, 01:29
took the bonnet springs off today, couldn't believe they weigh'd 0.8kg each. Also started scraping the sound deadening out, removed 1.3kg of the stuff already. Total weight loss now at 212.4kg

p fandango
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:05
got the socket set out again & took the boot hinges & shocks off, got to buy some more bonnet pins to secure it back on now tho lol

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8435/lgim0004s.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4776/lgim0005z.jpg
got to lightened the boot lid as well yet

214.7kg & still plenty more things to go :dgrin:

JelT5
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:09
Well done mate- its coming on well!

S60-MBS
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:12
How you planning on removing the overwieght driver LOL :D

p fandango
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:15
How you planning on removing the overwieght driver LOL :D
i'm going to teach Rog to drive lol

p fandango
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:17
Well done mate- its coming on well!
thanks mate. The list of things to remove just keeps growing lol, i just hope i'mnot too disappointed when it gets to a proper weigh bridge & the true figure comes out

S60-MBS
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:20
i'm going to teach Rog to drive lol

Think Roger will do pretty well :)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/s60mbs/IMGP0014-1.jpg

p fandango
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:22
Think Roger will do pretty well :)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/s60mbs/IMGP0014-1.jpg
i do like that pic always makes me laugh, i think he might need a booster seat to see out the window tho lol

callyuk
Tuesday 16th June 2009, 16:53
funny how i could tell that was mo's boy before i even looked on who posted it lol mini mo

p fandango
Friday 19th June 2009, 17:06
had the wire cutters out again & tidied up more of the driverside loom, i don't think there is much more with to come out of it. Also fixed the Apexi & other gizmo's back onto the dash. I've also decided to remove the steering wheel buttons, everything will work automatically

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3052/picture004vvp.jpg

callyuk
Friday 19th June 2009, 17:24
now lets see where julie is going to put her hand bag lol.
its looking bare mate i will give you that

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 01:17
now lets see where julie is going to put her hand bag lol.
"hand bag", that sounds like unneeded weight to me lol

AlanG
Saturday 20th June 2009, 01:23
Hey buddy,you're goin to end up needin ballast to keep it from floating.

volvoturboman
Saturday 20th June 2009, 01:28
I see what came meant by just a shell lol. Good lord man what did you do to the poor Volvo lol.

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 01:30
Hey buddy,you're goin to end up needin ballast to keep it from floating.
lol they do actually float anyway, i got caught in the floods going to Welshland last year. Drove down a country lane & the water started creeping up & up until it was finally to the top of the wings, i stopped to turn back & started floating away, credit tho when it gripped again i just reversed back to dry land. Had to hold it bouncing off the limiter for a minute to cure a misfire but no other problems, except the water splashing around inside when i braked lol

AlanG
Saturday 20th June 2009, 02:27
You crack me up mate. Keep up the destruction........

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 08:10
I see what came meant by just a shell lol. Good lord man what did you do to the poor Volvo lol.
the man don't lie lol

just had a look & i've had BT for over 10years now, & wouldn't get half the price the turbo upgrade back for her now so might as well do what i want & have some fun out of her

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 08:20
You crack me up mate. Keep up the destruction........
i've had some adventures with the car over the years, another good one i can recall was on a trip to the Isle of Wight with a mate & his Series I Land Rover. In Bembridge there used to be a nice beach which you could drive directly on & park, having mud pluggers my mate wanted to go & have a play in the dunes, he was a bit surprised to see a Volvo following him round lol, made it no problem as well didn't get stuck once

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 13:00
been out already today & finally cut the final bonnet spring, the hinges have already been binned as well:smirk:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7413/picturei.jpg
wonder if they'll let me race like that lol

Tomcat
Saturday 20th June 2009, 14:11
Hmmm, some how I doubt it, why haven't you got that thing tied down to stop it floating away?.

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 14:16
Hmmm, some how I doubt it, why haven't you got that thing tied down to stop it floating away?.
spoil sports lol. Think its still too heavy yet mate, got a few more bits & pieces to remove then its get the drill & grinder out & start lightening panels lol

volvoturboman
Saturday 20th June 2009, 14:51
been out already today & finally cut the final bonnet spring, the hinges have already been binned as well:smirk:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7413/picturei.jpg
wonder if they'll let me race like that lol

With BT looking like that were all going to have to start calling him MATER lol

AlanG
Saturday 20th June 2009, 15:13
Hey,Ped........here's an idea. Chop the roof off and bolt a hang-glider to the A & C pillars. It'll really fly then.:flying:

callyuk
Saturday 20th June 2009, 17:24
is anyone else thinking perspex bonnet

volvoturboman
Saturday 20th June 2009, 17:40
That'd be nice!! Very very light too.

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 19:44
With BT looking like that were all going to have to start calling him MATER lol
HIM, she may have the poise & gentileness of a Russian shot-putter but she still has feeling you know mate lol

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 19:45
Hey,Ped........here's an idea. Chop the roof off and bolt a hang-glider to the A & C pillars. It'll really fly then.:flying:
hmm, thing the wings might be going a bit too far.............but a nice jet engine on the roof instead sounds a good idea :santa:

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 19:50
is anyone else thinking perspex bonnet
a bit ricer for a Volvo i thinks, & i'm trying (unsuccessfully) to keep the outside looking standard

AlanG
Saturday 20th June 2009, 19:54
Everyone out there.........DO NOT BLAME ME FOR THIS MAN'S NEXT MOVE!!!.......

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 19:58
Everyone out there.........DO NOT BLAME ME FOR THIS MAN'S NEXT MOVE!!!.......
:rally_dri if theirs a chance it give me an extra 0.1 on the 1/4mile then anythings possible lol

PaulZX
Saturday 20th June 2009, 23:45
lose the alternator..... at least have a spare belt, so you can whip it off for racing...

p fandango
Saturday 20th June 2009, 23:49
lose the alternator..... at least have a spare belt, so you can whip it off for racing...
i did think of putting a smaller one on, but from what i've read its the smallest out of the 850 range anyway

AlanG
Saturday 20th June 2009, 23:57
Right Ped,it's come to this............Drive the car naked and don't eat any brekkie. Oh,and I never said this. You ain't seen me,right!!

p fandango
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:01
Right Ped,it's come to this............Drive the car naked and don't eat any brekkie. Oh,and I never said this. You ain't seen me,right!!
hmm not sure the officials at the pod would like that, i mean driving naked (not sure they care about breakfast)

sorry for being so blunt but my bro always makes sure he has a good dump before racing

AlanG
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:13
Ok...............too much information for me although,that said,maybe he could dump before bedtime? Could save an ounce or two......

volvoturboman
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:22
Alan you don't cheat at the races do you?????? Hmmmmm

AlanG
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:28
Don't understand the question,your honour..........

volvoturboman
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:30
I'm sure you don't Mr G. I'm sure you don't (stern look).

AlanG
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:31
:hidesbehi

AlanG
Sunday 21st June 2009, 00:32
Checked your PM's ?

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 22:09
took all the boot lock/handle, strike plate & number plate light panel out this afternoon, weigh'd another 2kg. Total is now 221.1kg removed, just 15.9kg till she's into the 1100's (well 1199kg to be precise lol)

JelT5
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 06:43
sorry for being so blunt but my bro always makes sure he has a good dump before racing

hahahaha rofpmsl
works for me too (too much info, sorry) I put it down to fear though :fart:

p fandango
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 14:12
hahahaha rofpmsl
works for me too (too much info, sorry) I put it down to fear though :fart:
fear, how do you think i felt racing on that thing lol

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6505/goped2.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4142/goped3.jpg

JelT5
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 14:28
fear, how do you think i felt racing on that thing lol

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6505/goped2.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4142/goped3.jpg

Lets just not go there mate....please?!

p fandango
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 14:30
Lets just not go there mate....please?!
might be a wise idea lol

p fandango
Saturday 27th June 2009, 15:43
todays job was was to remove the turbo heatshield, which wasn't as bad as i was expecting except the nightmare of getting them out between all the pipes etc. & as i took off the top intercooler pipe to help get the shields out i binned the fan cowling while i was at it, i'm on the look out for a flush fitting fan now which i can cable tie to the radiator like the Kenlowe fans do

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8729/picture013i.jpg
loads of room, i did think about going without a fan lol

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3854/picture012w.jpg
to show how much difference the weight loss is making this is the arch gap, & thats on the Volvo lowered chassis option which is 20mm lower than a normal T-5 lol

p fandango
Friday 3rd July 2009, 18:04
with the weather finally cooling down a bit i got the paint scrappers out & had a go at getting some more of the sound deadening pads out, only 3.2kgs worth which i was a bit disappointed in tbh. Total weight removed is now 225kg & only 12kg away from being under 1200kg :biggrin: (estimated weight)

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2641/lgim0001.jpg

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 15:02
got bored again so got the hole cutter out, even with a tape measure i managed to cut them slightly off line DOH

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2641/lgim0001.jpg

PaulZX
Saturday 4th July 2009, 19:42
that'l be my fault for not being home when you called.... soz mate ;)

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 21:12
that'l be my fault for not being home when you called.... soz mate ;)
lol no problem mate, i'd actually done that before i came round yours

PaulZX
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:31
you might wanna pop round and see what we're up to tomorrow.... the mini's getting a full-on ice install in where the back seats were.... gonna be sawdust, and swearwords flyin everywhere...

ooh, and I got the welder working perfectly... ;)

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:38
you might wanna pop round and see what we're up to tomorrow.... the mini's getting a full-on ice install in where the back seats were.... gonna be sawdust, and swearwords flyin everywhere...

ooh, and I got the welder working perfectly... ;)
i'moff out tomorrow but might get 5minutes to pop in (i'll try & remember your disc lol)

& if you've got the welder working how come your making the install out of MDF lol

t5 pete
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:40
Pedro could you loose the catch tank and just vent the pipe under the car also has your car got a sun roof?

t5 pete
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:42
edit ive just had a look at the first pics you put up why not remover the sun roof and weld a new sheet in that should save alot of weight

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:44
Pedro could you loose the catch tank and just vent the pipe under the car also has your car got a sun roof?
thanks for the idea's Pete, but once i've got BT on the road & racing i'm going to put her thru the MSA motorsport license & it needs a catch tank for that. It had got a sunroof, but i removed it & haven't got any alloy sheet to blank it off yet so she now lives under a car cover lol

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:52
Item Removed Weight (kg)

screen wash bottle (full) 4.2
front panel 1.7
carbon canistor 1.3
fan cowling 0.5
turbo heat shield 1.0
cambelt cover 0.5
bonnet claws 0.6
bonnet hinges (x2) 4.4
bonnet springs (x2) 1.6
wiring protecton 2.2
screws & misc fittings 2.2
front bumper foam 1.7
front bumper spacer plate 1.7
wheel arch linings (x4) 2.8
spare wheel 17.2
wire 8.5
heater box (matrix & motor) 8.2
underdash covers 1.4
heater matrix bulkhead grommet & pipes 0.4
dashboard including top (no dials or controls) 10.8
replacement mirrors 2.2
window motors (x4) 3.0
window mechanism (x4) 6.6
lightened front doors (x2) 2.0
Perspex front windows(x2) 4.4
lightened rear doors (x2) 1.4
Perspex rear windows (x2) 4.0
door cards (x4) 9.6
SIPS blocks (x4) 2.0
roof grab handles & interior lights 1.3
sound deadening 3.2
roof lining 1.1
sunroof 18.2
boot shocks & hinges 2.3
boot lock, number plate light & strike plate 2.0
carpet & insulation (not complete) 9.1
armrest 3.4
pillar trims including front seat belts & pre-tensioners 5.3
rear seat back 21.9
rear seat base 6.5
rear seat belts 3.3
front seats including runners & harnesses (x2) 39.3
Total weight removed 225.0
Estimated original weight 1436
Estimated current weight 1211.0

t5 pete
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:58
so just 11 kg's to go Is there any difference in weight from the standard t5 wheels to the wheels you have on now also when the car is finished will you put slicks on?

t5 pete
Saturday 4th July 2009, 22:59
How about a fuel cell? something like a 30-40 litre one

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 23:03
so just 11 kg's to go Is there any difference in weight from the standard t5 wheels to the wheels you have on now also when the car is finished will you put slicks on?
yeh just 11kg till i'm under 1200kg, altho i've already got my sights on the 250kg removed target (1/4tonne gone lol)

i've never weigh'd the 18's but would of thought they are heavier, i've only got 2 Perfo's but could always put the 18's on the S60 & have BT on the 17" Thor's (choices choices lol). I don't really want to mess around swopping wheels over, but if it does really struggle for grip then i might have to think about it

p fandango
Saturday 4th July 2009, 23:05
How about a fuel cell? something like a 30-40 litre one
not sure it would get me to the pod lol, money is tight at the minute but i suppose looking on ebay won't hurt :smirk:

t5 pete
Saturday 4th July 2009, 23:13
not sure it would get me to the pod lol, money is tight at the minute but i suppose looking on ebay won't hurt :smirk:

Lol you'll have to carry petrol cans in the car

PaulZX
Saturday 4th July 2009, 23:47
30 litres should get you to the pod, esp now yer car's nekkid...

bear in mind, 30 litres is almost half a tank.... a full tank got my full tank 340 miles up the road.... pod's 55 miles from Cov....

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 01:05
found a 12litre or a 100litre of Fleaby :parhmph:

JelT5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 09:10
12 litres is plenty mate!!
Get it and a coupla cans for back up lol ;)

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 09:34
12 litres is plenty mate!!
Get it and a coupla cans for back up lol ;)
hmm i'm not fully convinced tbh, altho i'm going all out for the strip i do want to be able to use it at weekends & possibly some trackdays. Wonder how many times i'd have to fill up to get to the Nurburg ring lol (& would it be able to do a lap lol)

JelT5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 09:42
hmm i'm not fully convinced tbh, altho i'm going all out for the strip i do want to be able to use it at weekends & possibly some trackdays. Wonder how many times i'd have to fill up to get to the Nurburg ring lol (& would it be able to do a lap lol)

Good point mate, best bet is stick with a standard tank in that case. I always seem to end up with a compromise vehicle :(

I'm thinking about a ring trip (oooer missus) in the not too distant future as it's not that far away from me. Although in an auto, fwd, it should be "interesting" lol

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 10:08
I'm thinking about a ring trip (oooer missus) in the not too distant future as it's not that far away from me. Although in an auto, fwd, it should be "interesting" lol
you live close-by & you haven't been round yet :shockedbi. I'm sure it'll still be good, i've seen some videos of stuff like 5hitroen ZX's going round & still looks like they had a laugh & enjoyed it

JelT5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 10:16
you live close-by & you haven't been round yet :shockedbi. I'm sure it'll still be good, i've seen some videos of stuff like 5hitroen ZX's going round & still looks like they had a laugh & enjoyed it

Drag racing and killing auto boxes has been taking up too much of my time mate ;)
It'll happen soon though :)

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 10:34
Drag racing and killing auto boxes has been taking up too much of my time mate ;)
It'll happen soon though :)
just take a small detour the next time you go shopping, might have a job explaining to the wife how you managed to fry another autobox on the way to Tesco (sorry "La Tesco" lol)

JelT5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 10:42
just take a small detour the next time you go shopping, might have a job explaining to the wife how you managed to fry another autobox on the way to Tesco (sorry "La Tesco" lol)

Hmmm a 6 hour detour might be tricky to get away with! She'd want to come to the ring anyway and would probably pay for it all :biggrin:

Sadly we don't have "Le Tesco" (supermarket is masculine mate- sorry, I'm being pedantic now lol) here and even worse theres no M&S!!

Still, French food and wine is pretty good ;) and I can even get "proper" UK beer like Abbot, Spitfire, Speckled Hen etc locally

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 10:49
Hmmm a 6 hour detour might be tricky to get away with! She'd want to come to the ring anyway and would probably pay for it all :biggrin:
you don't need an excuse, even better lol

Sadly we don't have "Le Tesco" (supermarket is masculine mate- sorry, I'm being pedantic now lol) here and even worse theres no M&S!!
Supermarket is male, they certainly got that wrong didn't they lol

Still, French food and wine is pretty good ;) and I can even get "proper" UK beer like Abbot, Spitfire, Speckled Hen etc locally
its not all bad then lol

JelT5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 10:54
you don't need an excuse, even better then lol

Good innit?

Supermarket is male, they certainly got that wrong didn't they lol

What can I say mate? Misguided foreigners? lol even have to drive on the wrong side of the road haha
It's a bizarre language to learn- genders for everything!

its not all bad then lol

I won't moving back to the UK in a hurry- life is too good here buddy!

p fandango
Sunday 19th July 2009, 18:45
haven't done much on her recently, but i have rewired the control box after a slight mistake by myself & got it fitted properly. Just need to wire the switches into the cars loom now

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9526/lgim0002.jpg

AlanG
Sunday 19th July 2009, 19:16
I won't moving back to the UK in a hurry- life is too good here buddy![/QUOTE]

Looking for a lodger?

p fandango
Saturday 25th July 2009, 19:03
the bootlid got attacked by the angle grinder this morning, only 1.3kg gone but still think i can get some more off it yet. Very annoyed i pimpel'd the skin trying to pry the reinforcement from the bonding, but sh*t happens

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7189/pictureq.jpg
226.3kg overall gone now, getting there

p fandango
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 17:19
more un-needed stuff gone

link to info file (http://www.box.net/shared/s86t3fz72n)

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9836/picture001csb.jpg
the air filter back on. ECU box gone & the cambelt cover

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8155/picture003jig.jpg

Tomcat
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 18:20
Erm...just noticed you've removed the wiper assembly, what do you do when it rains??.

p fandango
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 18:23
Erm...just noticed you've removed the wiper assembly, what do you do when it rains??.
lol no thats in the boot, it is getting put back i just took it off while i'm playing around

Filterlab
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 19:33
I can't believe you've removed almost a quarter of a tonne from that car, shows just how much every single component adds to the overall weight of a car. Excellent work mate. :)

By the way, I recognise this filter, is that the one which now resides under the bonnet of my car? :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/Bay.jpg

p fandango
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 19:39
I can't believe you've removed almost a quarter of a tonne from that car, shows just how much every single component adds to the overall weight of a car. Excellent work mate. :)
thanks mate, everything seems to be weighing only 1kg at the minute so the target of 250kg is taking its time to achieve

By the way, I recognise this filter, is that the one which now resides under the bonnet of my car? :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/Bay.jpg
you know what, when i was posting your stuff off this afternoon i thought i recognised your address. Yes that will be your filter, altho i never actually used it, i was trial fitting it to see if i could get it to line up with the headlight scoop i was making at the time. How is the filter, did it make a difference?

Filterlab
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 19:49
you know what, when i was posting your stuff off this afternoon i thought i recognised your address. Yes that will be your filter, altho i never actually used it, i was trial fitting it to see if i could get it to line up with the headlight scoop i was making at the time. How is the filter, did it make a difference?

A very big difference; much easier breathing, better pick up and a smoother, throatier sound. Good all round really mate. :) Only thing I did was cut the length of the casing down by about an inch as it was a bit too large to fit in without re-siting the battery. I had to fold the pipework a bit from the intake (as I put the filter where the airbox was) but it hasn't affected the improvement to any noticeable degree.

p fandango
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 19:51
i'd of ditched the battery lol, glad your happy with it

Filterlab
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 19:55
i'd of ditched the battery lol, glad your happy with it

It's a fairly important component, my car seems to have lights and stuff that need it. :hilarious

Very pleased thanks mate. :)

p fandango
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 20:04
It's a fairly important component, my car seems to have lights and stuff that need it. :hilarious
lights.............. http://www.clker.com/cliparts/e/3/0/f/11949896971812381266light_bulb_karl_bartel_01.svg. thumb.png are they heavy? lol

ps stumbled on this while looking for the lightbulb pic, ouch link (http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2006/06/doctors_remove.php)

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 20:35
Sorry to everyone to go off on a tangent....

Pedro- Spotweld removal drill bit does this. Ignore the rust as my car has sat like that for nearly two years....

Filterlab
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 20:58
lights.............. http://www.clker.com/cliparts/e/3/0/f/11949896971812381266light_bulb_karl_bartel_01.svg. thumb.png are they heavy? lol

Nope, quite light. :)

ps stumbled on this while looking for the lightbulb pic, ouch link (http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2006/06/doctors_remove.php)

Feck, how hungry was he?!

**edit**

Ahh, it's not gone through, rather up. :(

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 02:26
Sorry to everyone to go off on a tangent....

Pedro- Spotweld removal drill bit does this. Ignore the rust as my car has sat like that for nearly two years....
ah thats not bad then cheers mate, say i always thought they left a whole as you drilled thru. I'm going to have to run out & buy one now before you remove the bit i PM'd about lol

JelT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 07:49
more un-needed stuff gone

link to info file (http://www.box.net/shared/s86t3fz72n)

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9836/picture001csb.jpg
the air filter back on. ECU box gone & the cambelt cover

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8155/picture003jig.jpg

Nice one mate :) good to see you're still removing bits!

The light bulb link made me clench!
:wtf: was Mohammed doing to end up in that state? Lucky for him it wasn't a PAR64 hey? LOL

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 07:56
Nice one mate :) good to see you're still removing bits!
thanks mate, the list is coming to an end tho so getting worried i won't reach 250kg

The light bulb link made me clench!
:wtf: was Mohammed doing to end up in that state? Lucky for him it wasn't a PAR64 hey? LOL
he claimed he didn't know how it got there, must of been some party lol. Don't fancy any bulb tbh mate

JelT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 08:09
thanks mate, the list is coming to an end tho so getting worried i won't reach 250kg

You'll do it! Have faith in you mate!

he claimed he didn't know how it got there

How could you not notice that!!!! psml

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 08:16
You'll do it! Have faith in you mate!
& i originally targeted to get overal weight to 1000kg lol

How could you not notice that!!!! psml
i think he may be trying to save so face, i don't think may people will believe him. If they jailed him for making liquor, prohibited for Muslims i wonder what they'd do for storing lightbulbs where they don't go!!! I think we should drop the subject now

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 11:30
I have to say that's an absolutely superb job.

Dedication and a real result with the weight.

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 11:59
I have to say that's an absolutely superb job.

Dedication and a real result with the weight.
many thanks kind sir, i just hope it makes a difference on the track lol. According to my calculations the weight saved should be equal to another 55bhp

thebadger
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 12:37
Could you not have potentialy got 55BHP from a good map? (with the 19T etc?)

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 12:47
Could you not have potentialy got 55BHP from a good map? (with the 19T etc?)
going by FFM's figures i should be around 290-300bhp so already just above 19t & remap figures (adding the 55bhp from the weight), plus i'll be getting a remap via a TT ECU once the money comes in

thebadger
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 12:51
Ah well, that will get it fair flying!

You may need to put some weights on the front to stop it from just doing very long burnouts at this rate!

Great project tho! Wish I had the time for this sort of thing!

JelT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 12:55
going by FFM's figures i should be around 290-300bhp so already just above 19t & remap figures (adding the 55bhp from the weight), plus i'll be getting a remap via a TT ECU once the money comes in

That'll see you into the 13s I should think mate, if not, then very low 14s :)

(despite the fact it's a manual lol)

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 13:01
Ah well, that will get it fair flying!
i certainly hope so, i'll be gutted (no pun intended) if i've stripped BT for nothing lol

You may need to put some weights on the front to stop it from just doing very long burnouts at this rate!
i've got a spare pair of Perfo's & going to get the local tyre shop to fit the widest tyres they can get on there, i'd like either 245 or 255's

Great project tho! Wish I had the time for this sort of thing!
thanks, it is taking a bit longer than i thought tbh but theirs no rush

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 13:05
That'll see you into the 13s I should think mate, if not, then very low 14s :)

(despite the fact it's a manual lol)
tbh i really haven't got a clue what she'll run, i got a 14.5 running the 15g & full interior & alot has changed since her last run

you still haven't beat my old time let alone keeping up with me now auto boy. I've raised the bar, come join me up here lol peepo

thebadger
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 13:11
You should maybe look to get a set of replica pegs (I know that they're pricey) as they are usually an 8J wheel!

You could get a lot of rubber on that!

JelT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 13:19
tbh i really haven't got a clue what she'll run, i got a 14.5 running the 15g & full interior & alot has changed since her last run

It'll be interesting to find out though mate :)

you still haven't beat my old time let alone keeping up with me now auto boy. I've raised the bar, come join me up here lol peepo

auto boy hehehe psml

Banned from power starting now lol and even Andy Frost wouldn't build me a decent transmission :(

*sobs*

The interiors going soon lol

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 13:23
You should maybe look to get a set of replica pegs (I know that they're pricey) as they are usually an 8J wheel!

You could get a lot of rubber on that!
the 18's i've already got on her are 8J but because i've got a full set of them they'll have normal tyres for street & track driving. Ideally i'd get some steels banded to go super wide on the front & run space savers on the rear for the strip, but i'll make do with what for now

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 13:48
opps missed your post again, nothing personal

It'll be interesting to find out though mate :)
tell me about it. I'm getting eager to even go & out & fire her up,but don't think its wise till i've secured everything under the bonnet so it doesn't get wrapped around the cambelt

Banned from power starting now lol and even Andy Frost wouldn't build me a decent transmission
it'll save you some pennies in the long run, then you can a proper car to race in (with a clutch lol)

The interiors going soon lol
:eye-poppi your not stripping the V70?

p fandango
Saturday 1st August 2009, 13:18
the angle grinder came out to visit again today

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4065/picture002vnx.jpg
you don't need the reinforcement anyway lol

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/175/picture003v.jpg
the skin did ripple is quite a few place where i was trying to break the bond between the skin & the reinforcement, but i suppose it was to be expected. From a distance you can't really tell so shouldn't complain

http://xs942.xs.to/xs942/09316/picture_004375.jpg
what 6.2kg of un-needed Volvo metal looks like

this now making the total 234.6kg removed

t5lover
Thursday 6th August 2009, 13:54
not much more to go no mate good on u!

p fandango
Thursday 6th August 2009, 16:25
not much more to go no mate good on u!
still got quite a list to go yet, but she's getting there. Main thing is getting the wiring & new switches sorted out, put can't be bothered to do at the minute

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 6th August 2009, 16:59
What do you reckon all the paint on the car weighs?

Time to strip it??

t5lover
Thursday 6th August 2009, 17:32

Time to strip it??

lol get that paint stripper out mate lol

p fandango
Thursday 6th August 2009, 17:46

Time to strip it??
hmm never thought of that, think it might be a step too far tho lol. In fact i'm going to add more weight & spray the interior once i've got everything i want out of it

Filterlab
Thursday 6th August 2009, 18:12
hmm never thought of that, think it might be a step too far tho lol. In fact i'm going to add more weight & spray the interior once i've got everything i want out of it

I believe weight saving was why the BA Comets were never painted, a lot of weight in paint.

Getting close to the 250kg now Fandangy! Nice work. ;)

p fandango
Thursday 6th August 2009, 18:30
I believe weight saving was why the BA Comets were never painted, a lot of weight in paint.
or they just forgot, is that why they never painted DeLoreans either lol

Getting close to the 250kg now Fandangy! Nice work. ;)
cheers mate, starting to struggle a bit now but i won't quit till i've past that mark (then i'll get it on a weigh-bridge & find i'm miles off lol)

Filterlab
Thursday 6th August 2009, 19:09
or they just forgot, is that why they never painted DeLoreans either lol

Or maybe the paint sprayers had already been laid off! :)

cheers mate, starting to struggle a bit now but i won't quit till i've past that mark (then i'll get it on a weigh-bridge & find i'm miles off lol)

What are you now, 14kgs off? That's not a lot but then again there's not much left in your car!

I may have missed it, but was their an air con system and did you remove it? That must be worth a load of weight.

p fandango
Thursday 6th August 2009, 22:03
What are you now, 14kgs off? That's not a lot but then again there's not much left in your car!
15.4kg left to find, i've got a spot-weld cutter now & think i can get about 4kg removing old brackets & un-needed strengthening. There some parts that i've removed many years ago so think the only way to see what has actually gone is wait till she's road legal again & get it weigh'd with FFM's contact.

I may have missed it, but was their an air con system and did you remove it? That must be worth a load of weight.
Nah BT didn't have aircon mate

AlanG
Thursday 6th August 2009, 22:06
Have you removed all the rear door internals and welded them closed yet?

p fandango
Thursday 6th August 2009, 22:15
Have you removed all the rear door internals and welded them closed yet?
yeh all the door internals have been removed, including the locking. The rear door is locked from inside but can only be opened from outside (no release handle inside). As for welding them up i've gone better than that, they lift off to save even more weight lol

http://xs842.xs.to/xs842/09324/2252.jpg

http://xs842.xs.to/xs842/09324/3526.jpg

http://xs842.xs.to/xs842/09324/6772.jpg

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 6th August 2009, 22:41
Hi Duane

Looks like you have been having fun with the grinder :) when are the carbon doors and wings going on then :)

I weighed The Peril the other day i guessed close to what i thought but never did an all out lighten job carbon panels would be a massive saving in weight .

Good luck with it all Duane

Russ

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 04:10
Hi Duane

Looks like you have been having fun with the grinder :) when are the carbon doors and wings going on then :)

I weighed The Peril the other day i guessed close to what i thought but never did an all out lighten job carbon panels would be a massive saving in weight .

Good luck with it all Duane

Russ
cheers mate, i do like my grinder lol. I do know someone very good with fibre glass/carbon fibre & she has offered to make anything i want (bonnet, front wings, bootlid etc) but tbh i haven't got the money to go that extreme & getting her back on the road is my first priority. She's currently making a new one-piece front for my bro's RS4 powered race van

do you mind me asking what weight the Peril came out at (PM if you what), as i haven't got an orignal weight for BT i'm not fully convinced she'll come out as light as my calculations predict, & nice to see how much yours came out with considering all the work you've done

many thanks Duane