PDA

View Full Version : gearbox oil

The Badger
Friday 6th March 2009, 13:13
Firstly apologies to "the badger" as we inadvertently seem to have the same user name albeit in different type case.
I`m new to this T5 lark... what a brilliant vehicle Big, fast practical and comfortable ! it`s a 2003 V70 estate geartronic with 115k on the clock.
i will be doing a fair bit of heavy towing
My questions are
1) does the gearbox need an additional cooler
2) is there a recommended "heavy duty" transmission oil
3) assuming 2) exists is there any need for 1)

there does seem to be a lot about this for the early V70/850, though not for the later P2 type... is this because they have better gearboxes?

much appreciated for any info and advice
Mike

cornclose
Friday 13th March 2009, 17:28
Don't know the answers to your questions but certainly doing 1) wouldn't hurt.

I've just had the auto box fluid changed on my V70 and the difference is quite remarkable. Although it wasn't bad before, it's certainly a lot better now. The changes are smoother and a lot quicker too - wish I had had it done sooner.

The Badger
Wednesday 18th March 2009, 12:52
Don't know the answers to your questions but certainly doing 1) wouldn't hurt.

I've just had the auto box fluid changed on my V70 and the difference is quite remarkable. Although it wasn't bad before, it's certainly a lot better now. The changes are smoother and a lot quicker too - wish I had had it done sooner.

ta for the advice Chris
it`s booked in for the MOT on Monday and i`m getting them to do the gearbox oil as well...i`ll let you know how i get on
thanks
Mike

The Badger
Thursday 26th March 2009, 13:10
dropped me off and collected me afterwards, MOT`d and gearoil changed £160 all in which seemed pretty reasonable to me. Wow what a difference on the gear changes...you can actually use the geartronic without the huge pauses between changes
well pleased Mike

dave stew
Thursday 26th March 2009, 13:13
I have changed the gearbox oil in my manual box twice (at 120,000 miles, then at 140,000 when the clutch was changed) and the shift quality has improved.