PDA

View Full Version : Boost controller

kevin 850t
Monday 2nd March 2009, 04:37
Is this a good idea for some cheap BHP?, thankyou.

p fandango
Monday 2nd March 2009, 08:19
Is this a good idea for some cheap BHP?, thankyou.
tbh it depends on what you want from your car, i always preffered using an MBC instead of a remap because i liked the aggressiveness of them. I've now upgraded to an Apexi boost controller & gives me more flexiblity & control of the turbo than the ECU ever had (but the controller did cost almost £300)

daveforber
Monday 2nd March 2009, 08:45
If you're careful with it then yes, I reckon it's a good idea. If not, it's a cheap way to make your engine go pop.

You will also need a boost gauge to determine how far you're actually pushing it (in order to avoid the above).

I've had an MBC on my V40 2.0T for the last 6 months pushing 3psi above stock with no problems - ask around or Google some sensible numbers for the T5, someone's bound to know!

p fandango
Monday 2nd March 2009, 10:33
If you're careful with it then yes, I reckon it's a good idea. If not, it's a cheap way to make your engine go pop.
i think you'll find thats an old myth, i've heard people say it can blow engines for years but i've never been able to work out how it bypasses the ECU's standard MAF limit which protects the engine?

You will also need a boost gauge to determine how far you're actually pushing it (in order to avoid the above).
totally agree

I've had an MBC on my V40 2.0T for the last 6 months pushing 3psi above stock with no problems - ask around or Google some sensible numbers for the T5, someone's bound to know!
13psi is considered a safe limit on T-5's

bonelorry
Monday 2nd March 2009, 10:47
as already said, you can use an MBC to get a bit more out of the standard engine but go no more that 13-14psi max.

furthering that if you want more power a remap is the only way to go as you know the fuellings right then, i actually had a rica custom map, 19t turbo and used an MBC to control the boost as the stock BCS couldnt cope!

i found i had much better control over the boost with the MBC and the levels where much more consistant, aslong as you dont run more than 1.1bar below 3000rpm your rods will be ok.

in your case you wont be anyway.

kevin 850t
Monday 2nd March 2009, 15:08
Whats an mbc...............manual boost control?

Bcs.......? lol, i'm a learner

bonelorry
Monday 2nd March 2009, 16:22
Whats an mbc...............manual boost control?

Bcs.......? lol, i'm a learner

ahhh sorry mate....in simple terms the BCS is the factory fitted boost controller, an MBC is a manual boost controller that you fit to control the boost and does the same job as the BCS but its adjustable.

wegal
Monday 2nd March 2009, 16:41
BCS = Boost control solanoid.

The BSC is actually pretty good so long as its in good condition, thing is the diaphrams wear out and get pin holes and small tears, which makes them start to leak, You can either replace them or if you are running higher boost (ie remap) then you can replace them with a better aftermarket one. IPD do a good one or you can go the MBC route, but you will need an accurate boost gauge to monitor the boost levels. You can run quite high boost so long as the revs are high, as mentioned if you run high boost from low rpm then you "could" bend rods.

kevin 850t
Monday 2nd March 2009, 18:06
Complex stuff :), think i'll go the Rico route

kevin 850t
Tuesday 3rd March 2009, 02:15
Hmmm, manual boost for now maybe, i have read this again and it has sunk in, i think i'm not "to brain dead" understanding what your all saying, thanks all, might buy one wednesday with a boost gauge & piller pod unless anyone has one floating about.

Kevin.

PaulZX
Tuesday 3rd March 2009, 14:22
My MBC is set around the 12psi mark, and she runs great, pulls like a train. I'm gonna get her turned up to 14 or 15 psi once I've reversed the intercooler piping, she should be a blast then....

I'd recommend a rolling road setup once you get one, to get it setup correctly after fitting, and yeh, a boost gauge, simple to fit, and helps you keep track of your boost pressures... oh and they look cool, which helps.... :D

kevin 850t
Tuesday 3rd March 2009, 18:10
Bought one from ebay, manual boost control £20, just need a gauge and piller pod. Thanks.

daveforber
Tuesday 3rd March 2009, 20:32
Or, a gauge and some blu-tac :)

kevin 850t
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 00:16
will be less hassle lol

kevin 850t
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 06:09
Which gauge?
# Boost - Psi
# Boost - Bar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220371678755&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370165711102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

dooby
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 11:08
Hi,

it doesn't really matter - they both read the same thing (boost pressure). I personally find it a bit easier to work in PSI, which may range from about 10 to 20 between a stock and tuned car. In Bar that would be 0.7 to 1.4 ish which I don't find as easy to picture :-)

HTH, Pete

BruceT
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 13:12
Im the same as Pete, I prefere PSI as its quicker to see exactly what its boosting too, but thats because ive always known volvos turbos in PSI, rather then Bar.

10psi is easier number to see on a scale rather then 0.7 bar, too...

kevin 850t
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 14:05
PSI it is, i like easy/simple, thankyou all.

kevin 850t
Sunday 31st May 2009, 20:36
Ok, anyone like to fit these for me?, i have it jacked up, i don't know where the boost source is, i have the wastegate actuator i think, but not sure about that either!!, i allso have no idea how to get through the dash with the hose to the boost gauge, i'm well useless :0(
could do with pictures, i have blanked with a blanking plate

kevin 850t
Sunday 31st May 2009, 21:04
Ok, someone who has a manual boost control said i hook up one end to my hose coming out of my dump valve, i have colour coded hoses, i can do this if i new which two colour coded hoses, or dump valve hose.

Thanks.

daveforber
Sunday 31st May 2009, 21:15
The colour coded pipes currently go to the BCS, which is probably attached to your airbox (assuming it's a similar set up to the V40). There will be three pipes attached to the BCS:

* Yellow - goes to the waste gate
* Red - boost source
* Blue - air temperature (if I recall it right)

They're colour coded by a bit of insulation tape around the pipes - you may need to push some other pipes around a bit to see.

But your MBC is hooked up to the red and yellow pipes, which you disconnect from the BCS. Ensure it's fully wound out at MINIMUM boost, and then wind in slowly until the desired boost is reached.

I *think* the pipe going to the DV is where you tap in for your boost gauge, but I'd seek confirmation for that as I neither have an aftermarket DV nor an 850.

kevin 850t
Sunday 31st May 2009, 22:55
I managed it, i found an idiot proof fitting guide, i done what your explaining, i had it wound out, but not all the way, damm that was fun, it was eating the white in the gauge, i had to keep pulling over to turn it down, just need to fit the boost gauge asap so i can have MAX-POWER

AlanG
Sunday 31st May 2009, 22:57
The most amount of fun whilst keeping your clothes on!!

kevin 850t
Sunday 31st May 2009, 23:58
Lol yes alan :0)

JelT5
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 11:22
Enjoy it mate- brilliant mod for next to nothing :)

kevin 850t
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 16:26
Just need to fit the pressure gauge today, that's if i can find where to t it 2, hopefully i can do it 2 the original under the dash.

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 16:30
Just need to fit the pressure gauge today, that's if i can find where to t it 2, hopefully i can do it 2 the original under the dash.
just put it to one of the spare ports on the vac tree (under the plastic cover next to the throttle wheel)

kevin 850t
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 16:18
just put it to one of the spare ports on the vac tree (under the plastic cover next to the throttle wheel)

Thanks all, i have the gauge on now, i have plumbed it 2 the original gauge pipe, the old gauge is now disconnected, i didn't know how to get into the engine bay and i broke one of my t tree nipples anyhow, new one here soon i hope, i just need to pay for it tomorrow.
I have 3 gauges wired up to the electrics, i went earth point near gas pedal, positive "pink" wire on the lighting switch, i allso wired the + for the two gauges to the pink for now, one gauge is air/fuel mix needing wiring to the main brain, other is oil temp/pressure which allso needs attaching, bit of a bodge at the moment, but will do i suppose.

regards, kevin.

kevin 850t
Thursday 11th June 2009, 22:14
I had put the mbc pipes the wrong way round, therefore it was doing nothing!!, i knew there was some thing wrong, just couldn't be bothered to find out what i had messed up on, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, she fly's :)

AlanG
Friday 12th June 2009, 14:32
:banana:

kevin 850t
Monday 15th June 2009, 05:18
She dumps louder now, although my hose is not fitting the dump valve proper, i have elephant taped it till i can work out the hose size i need, over boosts at times, need larger brakes because she flys, need a RICA :) , have put the power engine mount in, sounds supurb, bit of a pig to fit, but well worth it.

AlanG
Monday 15th June 2009, 14:18
Sounds like you've got the bug matey. Get on to Hamish and take advantage of the re-map deal. Hopefully he's still offering it. £150 for huge horsepower is too good to miss. Strangely though,I actually drive (even) more sedately nowadays. Just having the knowledge that very little can get away from you is enough!!

p fandango
Monday 15th June 2009, 14:35
just being curious Alan, have you tried/used an MBC?

the only reason i ask is because when i had the TT ECU demo'd on my car their was no noticable difference between the standard map & the aftermarket because i'm using a boost controller (Apexi), it did make the car feel smoother tho

AlanG
Monday 15th June 2009, 14:50
Yes mate,I do run with an MBC (R-Spec £30) Hamish re-mapped mine to the 280 specification,basically because I don't want to be restricted to expensive fuel. I then purchased the MBC and plumbed it in as per R-Spec's instructions to find it was ineffective. Fine if I wanted to reduce the boost. Called Hamish and on his instruction "re-wired" it to keep the BCS in the system and the result was a very,very powerful car. Have to show some restraint though as I don't want to break anything.

p fandango
Monday 15th June 2009, 14:54
ah yes i do remember now, say i wasn't having a dig just curious as i didn't notice much difference switching between the 2 maps. As you've got the BCS inline tho it would alter it quite alot tho

AlanG
Monday 15th June 2009, 14:57
It's just as I want it now. 30mpg and endless power,recommend it to anyone running a T5. Tickled pink with it buddy.

p fandango
Monday 15th June 2009, 15:02
It's just as I want it now. 30mpg and endless power,recommend it to anyone running a T5. Tickled pink with it buddy.
thats the important thing, not tempted with a 19T or anything

AlanG
Monday 15th June 2009, 15:12
To be honest,no. It's 13 years old and for a 2.3 litre I think it quite something. Apart from anything else I'm too lazy!! Am a time-served mechanic and you know what they say about the cobbler's childrens shoes!! Happy with it as is buddy. Anyone leaving that car behind will have spent a lot more than me.

p fandango
Monday 15th June 2009, 15:21
To be honest,no. It's 13 years old and for a 2.3 litre I think it quite something. Apart from anything else I'm too lazy!! Am a time-served mechanic and you know what they say about the cobbler's childrens shoes!! Happy with it as is buddy. Anyone leaving that car behind will have spent a lot more than me.
yeh i guess so, anything over 100bhp per litre is always going to be impressive (& we are way past that lol). I know what you mean, i end up spending most of my time repairing my bro's VW's than working on my own

AlanG
Monday 15th June 2009, 15:48
Used to have a Sierra XR4x4 witha Turbo Technics conversion and it was gutless by comparison to the T5. 230BHP and about 10mpg when being enjoyed. Had lots of powerful cars including a mk2 2.0 GTE Astra,that was fun!,tuned Mk1 Cavaliers,Mantas etc,etc. T5 is great fun and affordable.

kevin 850t
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 05:08
I have had a problem for about 3 weeks, no dump valve sound and a horrid noise on hard throttle, over boost all the time i decided to turn the MBC off, still had the noise, but quieter, engine management light on all the time, i checked all the hose's to the t-tree, couldn't find the problem, i put it down to getting over excited with the MBC & bending the rods, tonight i stopped the car after i was annoyed and started feeling around the hoses and found one great big hole in my air return thing over the engine, well chuffed i know what the problem is, now to look for a new hose i can't find!!, shall elephant tape it till i get the new hose :0)

p fandango
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 14:40
if you bend a rod you'll really know about it, they rattle really load as the shoulder hits the piston (they do wear clear if your brave lol)

i've PM'd you about the pipe, & your engine bay needs a clean mate :uglyhamme

kevin 850t
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 15:18
if you bend a rod you'll really know about it, they rattle really load as the shoulder hits the piston (they do wear clear if your brave lol)

i've PM'd you about the pipe, & your engine bay needs a clean mate :uglyhamme

thankyou much, $53 from Europe :0)

as for the engine bay, it needs sand blasting!!

kevin 850t
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 15:22
http://www.swedishautoparts.com/850/volvo-850-turbo-chargers-and-components.html

kevin 850t
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 16:20
elephant tape for now, silicon tonight and order a new pipe tomorrow