PDA

View Full Version : C70 Issues - Any Advice

fiorano
Sunday 1st March 2009, 06:30
Hi All

Sorry i’ve not been online for a long time. I still have my red 2004 C70 Convertible and i still am based in Dubai.

I have a problem that i hope someone can help me on.

A few weeks ago, the C70 lost considerable braking, had some steering ‘creaks’ on full lock and i have that old problem of the car not starting because of the intermittant receiver in the steering that pairs with my car key. I took it to Volvo here and this is what they said needed replacing :

1.Brake Rear LH caliper Piston Kit- Leaking -Parts+Labour =dh1300 – Which is about £250
2.Rear Brake Pad-Wet- Dh600 – new pads because old ones have been contaminated with brake fluid – about £120
3.Front LH Lower Arm Limiter broken-Dh1300 – About £250
4.Battery needs replace-dh695/- About £130

Can anyone help with comparing the parts in the UK and whether it would be cheaper for me to buy from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. J

Liddo
Monday 9th March 2009, 22:30
Im not an expert....but

A battery here only would/should cost £30-£50 maximum.
The creaking on full lock might just be your bump stops that need greasing. Lower arms very rarely, if ever, break. Look under your car from the front, at the lower arms. You should see a yellow plastic square on the arm. This is the bump stop, and if its not covered in grease, it will cause the creaky sounds on full lock. Buy some grease and lash it on them, and the steering stops that come into contact with them.

IF your pads are knackered, they are about £30-£40 to buy (Ebay). Dont think theres a lot you can do with the leaky pistons, apart from getting a seal kit, and getting a half decent mechanic to do it for you.

Id say stay well clear of the dealer your going to, and find a local friendly mechanic.

Total spend in the UK would be about £100-£120 max.

Check out Ebay for the piston seal kits

Liddo
Monday 9th March 2009, 22:34
Rear Mintex Pads

Ebay is your friend

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320324518456&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNASIF:GB:1123

:)

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 10th March 2009, 06:51
From memory, the parts if ordered from Rufe in the UK would be roughly.....

Suspension arm, £116 delivered, or the bushes cost £70'ish for both sides
Set rear pads, £25 delivered
Caliper overhaul kit is about £12 I think

(these prices may have changed a wee bit, they are a couple of months old)

With regards to battery, anything from £40 to £120 depending on what you want.

fiorano
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 16:53
Thanks both - i feel as though i'm being ripped off here :(

I think i'll park my car and source the parts off ebay. So far i have not come across a brake piston repair kit.

An pointers?

Cheers - Max

Rufe
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 17:01
Hi,

Please pm the full 17 digit VIN number from your car if possible, and I can work out our prices and delivery prices etc, if you were to get them from myself (I will ship outside the UK, that is not a problem, you may find even paying our delivery price to U.A.E. you may save money I hope) The prices stated above sound near enough right to me before I check, so you could save quite a bit. I wont be able to help you with the battery though, that would be classed as dangerous goods and I could not ship that I am afraid.

Simon

fiorano
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 17:16
Thanks Simon - PM sent :)

Rufe
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 17:25
I just looked and i don't need your VIN, so priced the parts up for you. I am a bit puzzled over the lock stop on the lower arm costing so much, as it is easy to replace with a new part, and is only held on by two rivets. If it is definitely a lower arm you require then let me know as for now i have only priced up the steering lock stop and rivets.

All prices include vat at 15% -

NSR CALIPER SEAL KIT: [270902]
Retail Price £40.49 / Our Price £34.41

REAR BRAKE PAD KIT: [30793802]
Retail Price £29.68 / Our Price £20.77

REAR BRAKE PAD FITTING KIT: [217831]
Retail Price £12.20 / Our Price £10.36

LOWER ARM LIMITER (INC. RIVETS): [8614258, 973883 x2]
Retail Price £7.81 / Our Price £6.06

ANTENNA RING: [9442961]
Retail Price £31.06 / Our Price £26.39

Availability:
Order will be dispatched the next working day if ordered by 4:30pm

Postage:
DUBAI: £45.00 DHL (Guaranteed 1 to 2 days after dispatch)

If you wish to go ahead and place this order then please call me on our direct parts telephone number, 01792 790066, to make the payment and to provide delivery details. We are open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. We accept most major credit and debit cards. All parts are brand new genuine volvo parts.

Simon

fiorano
Wednesday 11th March 2009, 17:46
Hi Simon

Thanks for your quote - if you can also quote me for the front pads and 2 oil filter, that would be great.

I can pay via credit card but do you accept Paypal?

Please let me know.

I'll call you during the course of tomorrow.

Thanks so much :)

Dacvolvo
Thursday 12th March 2009, 00:24
I just paid £79.99 yesterday for a brand new heavy duty battery from Volvomax (my local private Volvo garage) :D