PDA

View Full Version : Petrol smell & Fuel Tank

Big Pete
Saturday 28th February 2009, 14:16
Been for a while smelling petrol inside the car on and off and when I am outside the car walking past the petrol filler cap you can also smell it sometimes. Last night I filled the car up with the usual Shell V-Power and when got home could smell it coming out from the wheel arch area. This morning I got underneath and car to see if I could see anything but can't, I can only smell it.

I unscrewed the 2 metal covers off from inside the boot area to show the top of the fuel tank and can smell it a lot! I also noticed that a few of the screws were quite loose and 1 of the plates was raised, probably the reason for the smell in the car!

I have taken a photo, does anyone know if their 850 tank looks the same ontop as this with the 2 main pipes coming off and 1 free, it seems this is where the smell is coming from and not just sure if this is a breather for the tank?

Does anyone have any info or help on this one to clear it up?

T5 ROB
Saturday 28th February 2009, 17:15
Hi mate, I had the same problem, i could smell petrol around the arch area and couldn't find anything, it turned out to be the petrol filter strap had cut a very small hole in the filter, it didn't drip so you couldn't tell. I'd try that first.

Cheers, Rob

Big Pete
Saturday 28th February 2009, 17:44
Hi mate, I had the same problem, i could smell petrol around the arch area and couldn't find anything, it turned out to be the petrol filter strap had cut a very small hole in the filter, it didn't drip so you couldn't tell. I'd try that first.

Cheers, Rob

It has had a recent fuel filter so shouldn't be that.

cameron
Saturday 28th February 2009, 18:37
Looks the same as mine mate :)

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P280209_1727.jpg

cameron
Sunday 1st March 2009, 02:21
Just one thing how the hell do i get the top off of the fuel level sender, its under the lip and when its unscrewed its jammed in :mad:

I need to know as i think mine is on its way out, one minute i have half a tank then a quarter :confused: