PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

cameron
Friday 27th February 2009, 18:10
I had the car up on the ramp today to see where the oil is coming out of. I thought it was the Turbo Return Pipe ( Eh No ! )

Some Di*k head has plastered gasket seal or something all round the top and bottom of the pipe.

Will it be a biatch to get off and replace with the origonal seal and gasket ?

I found the leak, its coming from the seal ( or lack there of, its just red gasket sealant by the look of it :mad111: ) between the gearbox and the engine :( Big Job ?

Do i drop the subframe to replace the seal

Its not loosing loads but its annoying, i fill up about a litre every 3 weeks or so

Cheers guys

5seaterT5x2
Friday 27th February 2009, 18:32
I had the car up on the ramp today to see where the oil is coming out of. I thought it was the Turbo Return Pipe ( Eh No ! )

Some Di*k head has plastered gasket seal or something all round the top and bottom of the pipe.

Will it be a biatch to get off and replace with the origonal seal and gasket ?

I found the leak, its coming from the seal ( or lack there of, its just red gasket sealant by the look of it :mad111: ) between the gearbox and the engine :( Big Job ?

Do i drop the subframe to replace the seal

Its not loosing loads but its annoying, i fill up about a litre every 3 weeks or so

Cheers guys

you think the leak is the joint between gearbox and engine??
are you losing gearbox oil/fluid?
if it's engine oil then i think likely your rear seal might be leaking? if indeed it's leaking from there.

can you see oil up higher? because obviously it wont run uphill, discovered on mine the other day the large pipe from the pcv had come of bottom end of large bore pipe from air intake and was spewing gunge down over turbo onto gearbox etc. Erm think i left hose clip of when i changed PCV a few months back ;-( dummy.
hope that helps

cameron
Friday 27th February 2009, 19:42
Cheers bud i need the PCV doing anyway, finances are a bit short though.

Case of sooner rather than later though ;)

I'll check that out tomorrow as i think the oil trap is flailing about just held by the 2 hoses( 1 on either side ) i dont think its anchored.

The last owners did a proper balls up of the pcv all the pipes are ££££ed and corroded or just non existant until i got it :mad111:

5seaterT5x2
Friday 27th February 2009, 23:19
Cheers bud i need the PCV doing anyway, finances are a bit short though.

Case of sooner rather than later though ;)

I'll check that out tomorrow as i think the oil trap is flailing about just held by the 2 hoses( 1 on either side ) i dont think its anchored.

The last owners did a proper balls up of the pcv all the pipes are ££££ed and corroded or just non existant until i got it :mad111:

doubt the oil trap is actually waving about as then i think anyway you would have serious oil down front of engine etc but the 2 pipes from it to air intake if they are past their sell by date and breaking up (they get brittle with age n just snap) then i'd suspect a lot of your oil n gunge will be running down from them. It's not a terrible job to change em but fairly time consuming ish

beppie boy
Friday 27th February 2009, 23:47
if im thinking of the same job that i had to do on my t5, it is not a big job as you may think. it took me 15 minutes and i done it in the dark in the pouring rain wearing wet wether clothing i used when yatch racing.
i have got photos somewhere on the pc and wil post them on here tomorrow if i get the chance.
on the other hand it may well be a diffrent job that i had carried out on my car:confused::confused::confused::biggrin:
mart

walter leever
Friday 27th February 2009, 23:51
Are those the oil cooler lines you're talking about?(2)

I've replaced them last week,since mine was leaking oil aswell.:wallbash:

cameron
Saturday 28th February 2009, 11:49
The hose that goes to the left of the inlet manifold with that annoying little elbow on it that is a bit of a £££££ to get back on which goes right across the front of the block to the actuator is completely knackered its only the rubber outer thats there no hard inards.

All the pipes are a mess thats why im getting the pcv done at readviews very soon :D

Hopfully it'll solve my emissions problem as well, the CO2 level was too high should be below 0.30 and it was over 0.55 :(

Jod T5
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 00:26

Hi Lee,
The leak from between the engine and transmission will be the Rear main seal, probably due to excess crankcase pressure....
To replace the seal will require the N/S subframe to be dropped....
If i were you i would replace the PCV system http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk/800Repairs/inmanpcv.htm and add some Forte oil seal rejuvinator to your oil and give it a couple of weeks....
HTH
Cheers
Jod

tandino
Wednesday 4th March 2009, 14:11
The hose that goes to the left of the inlet manifold with that annoying little elbow on it that is a bit of a £££££ to get back on which goes right across the front of the block to the actuator is completely knackered its only the rubber outer thats there no hard inards.

All the pipes are a mess thats why im getting the pcv done at readviews very soon :D

Hopfully it'll solve my emissions problem as well, the CO2 level was too high should be below 0.30 and it was over 0.55 :(

And you had your car remapped with it like that?
Surely the 150 quid would have been better spent getting your breather system sorted out first?
You will totally shag your main seal, the more you drive it the more likely it will need to be replaced...