PDA

View Full Version : P2 Performance Air Filter...

cornclose
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 08:59
...is it worth it ? And if so, which one should I go for ?

Do they make any noticable difference on their own ? Or is it best when combined with other mods (remap etc) ?

KPB
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 09:55
...is it worth it ? And if so, which one should I go for ?

Do they make any noticable difference on their own ? Or is it best when combined with other mods (remap etc) ?

I have a Pipercross panel filter. I fitted it a couple of weeks before my RICA remap. It seemed to rev slightly more smoothly but there are very little difference in overall performance. I suppose it might give a few more BHP but in real world terms its only perhaps a 1% increase, which doesnt translate to much when on the open road.

With such an inperceptable improvement, i'm think the relative differences between, say, Pipercross, K&N etc will be likewise negligable. Saying that, i've only tried the Pipercross and other people may have a different experience.

However, if you're going down the remap route, then most remap companies recommend a panel filter to help the engine breath better in light of its extra power. Personally I feel a bit reassured than my car's engine is getting decent airflow having upped the BHP by about 20% from standard.

thebadger
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 10:02
They do give a better pickup, but no huge difference, the induction "roar" will be much louder, tho it's a personal choice on whether you want that or not.

I have a K&N panel one still in the air box, as I now use the BSR optiflow cone.

The noise is impressive tho.

dave stew
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 10:32
I've had an ITG for 45,000 miles now. It feels slightly smoother on part throttle, but the real benefit is the fact its washable and never needs replacing!

cornclose
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 13:12
Thanks - I think I'll get it done before the remap...

dave stew
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 13:17
I'll be interested to see how you go after the remap. I take it you're getting the good people at DPA to do it? RICA 280?

How many miles have you got up to?

You'll have to be careful with that slushbox! Should have got a manual, mother!

KPB
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 14:12
[QUOTE=dave stew;215552]I take it you're getting the good people at DPA to do it? RICA 280?
QUOTE]

Farnfield Garages nr Southwell/Mansfield are also excellent. I had my RICA 310 done there. They did a full safety check, autologic diagnostic and test drive on the car beforehand. Not to mention being very nice chaps with it. Highly recommended.

cornclose
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 16:26
Not sure what to go for yet - the autologic map seems to be around the 280bhp mark, Lance has it on his, he likes it!

However, I've always wanted something to replicate the torque and performance of the Saab 9000CS turbo I once had - the V70 T5 in standard guise (despite being 50bhp more than the Saab) just feels incredibly slow and underpowered by comparison.

The RICA 310 I've often heard described as 'brutal' - that's what I want! I don't want to go down the route of picking the wrong remap. It's difficult to tell of course, and any remap is going to be better than standard!

What I want is torque, and lots of it. Praps I should get a D5...

cornclose
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 16:33
Not had yours done yet Dave ?

dave stew
Thursday 26th February 2009, 11:01
No, not as yet. I need to renew the floppy suspension first!

thebadger
Thursday 26th February 2009, 11:36
Try some lowering springs & some Koni FSD's!

My next project is the shocks, I have the springs on already!

After that the Rica would be the next project!

Found the shocks at £460 delivered... springs are an personal choice.. lots of choices!

cornclose
Thursday 26th February 2009, 13:56
No, not as yet. I need to renew the floppy suspension first!

Which one would you go for ? Have you done any research as yet ?

dave stew
Thursday 26th February 2009, 19:13
I'm going to settle for Bilstein B6 dampers and standard T5 springs. That Volvo kit I liked the look of has 15mm lower springs (that's virtually a T5 anyway) and Nivomats that are OK but I rarely carry very heavy loads and I reckon a pair of rear Bilstein sport dampers would be faster reacting over a quick A road than Nivomats.

So - standard springs and Bilsteins it is. Once the front end is virtually all poly bushed (wishbones already have Powerflex bushes) it should be pretty good without shaking my teeth out or grinding the sump off on one of Communist Nottingham City Council's car killer speed bumps.

thebadger
Thursday 26th February 2009, 19:53
Have you looked at the koni FSD's yet?

I'm told they have the best of both worlds, they can firm up when you attack a corner, but stay soft for normal road driving...

Means your dentist bill will be reduced a touch!

v70torslanda
Thursday 26th February 2009, 22:55
+1 for K&N here. It's been in about 12 months so I guess it's probably due for a clean about now.

thebadger
Friday 27th February 2009, 00:21
The K&N is good! I had no complaints either J, but the optiflow came with the car & sounds mad!

P.s. I had the original box back on as the ETM needed seeing to, so wanted all possible issues removed before volvo looked at her!

lance
Friday 27th February 2009, 19:58
I had the RICA 310 on my phase 1 V70 and the autologic on my phase 2, the autologic is every bit as good as the rica, in the real world only a few cars get close to 300 bhp with just the rica softwhere I think mine was 266 bhp and 230 whp, although with a 19T it was 280 whp so around 322 BHP. However the Autologic feels nearer 300 bhp than the standard rica 310 did @266 infact it feels closer to the 19t power! Lets put it this way she still going well at the end of the numbers on the speedo! Isle of man of course.
Your welcome to have a go sometime

cornclose
Friday 13th March 2009, 17:42
Bought a JR Performance Filter - will let you all know if I can tell the difference...

cornclose
Saturday 14th March 2009, 11:53
Well, I can certainly tell the difference in all the ways described here by others. Throttle response and pickup is certainly better. Nothing massive, but definately noticable.

It does rev more freely too, and certainly sounds different, with a throaty breathing sound as you put your foot down. Nice. I like.

Fitted just in time for the RICA 310 (in a PPC) to arrive early next week.

mikouk
Saturday 14th March 2009, 12:51
Hi mate

I will be interested to see how you get on with the Rica PPC. I have that on mine and the koni + eibach suspension as well. I am having a few issues with the RICA at the moment so will be interested to see how you get on. You'll certainly notice the difference though!

Hi Badger

I'm told they have the best of both worlds, they can firm up when you attack a corner, but stay soft for normal road driving...

I'm not sure soft is the right word! LOL

Cheers
Mark

cornclose
Saturday 14th March 2009, 13:40
Hi Mark,

What issues are you having at present ? Is it with the rica map, the PPC unit, or some other aspect of your car ?

Also, what black grille do you have on yours, or is it a painted standard one ? Any good photos of it please ?

mikouk
Saturday 14th March 2009, 14:16
What issues are you having at present ?

Well its tricky. I am happy with the map in the most part but its very harsh. Its either all or nothing, and at the moment the cars revs dip at 3k rpm like I've changed gear with is very disconcerting and then dip again at 4 1/2k. Also in the past few weeks I have been travelling to and from slough and on the motorway at about 85 you tend to be sitting at around 3k rpm which means the turbo is forever either spoooling up or sitting ready to go and so MPG drops like a stone. I used to get 29mpg before the map. I now get 27mpg just cruising.

However I've been told that because I have the PPC Rica could change the mapping to suit my driving style which is handy. However they don't seem to be that keen on answering queries about aftersale service stuff.

I have told Russ at RT's and he has said when the cars free again he will have a look. If anyone can sort it he will so thats good.

Suspension wise its fine, just takes a bit of getting used to. The handling is sooo much better though. I will be getting the better Anti roll bars though when I have the pennies.

Jonno12 did my grille. I will look now for some photo's. Cheers

Mark

cornclose
Saturday 14th March 2009, 14:48
That does sound odd. Has it always done this with the rica map ? How many versions of the map for your car have you had on it ? Are you currently running the latest ?

mikouk
Saturday 14th March 2009, 15:13
That does sound odd. Has it always done this with the rica map ? How many versions of the map for your car have you had on it ? Are you currently running the latest ?

Not sure mate. I need to find out. I know they had trouble in the first place getting it to work with my car so maybe thats related. Like I say once I'm free I will take it back to the garage to get it checked out. I only contacted RICA as I thought they might be able to tell me quickly. However they won't answer so who knows?

Saying all this though, I still prefer the car now than before its just not very smooth, but blimey, does it fly!

cornclose
Saturday 14th March 2009, 16:02
Well, I'll let you know how mine pans out when I've got it!

MileMuncher
Monday 16th March 2009, 09:26
Are all the S60 panel air filters the same?

For example, is a K&N for a T5 fine to use with a D5 etc etc