PDA

View Full Version : Total removal of a Dump Valve?

Niles
Monday 23rd February 2009, 21:17
Is there a benefit or is it 'kill a turbo early'?

1996 850 T5
Monday 23rd February 2009, 22:01
youll risk compressor surge when you shut off with isnt healthy for turbo life

stalling the turbo due to massive back pressure repeatedly will inevitable cause something to give (twisted/snapped turbo shaft or worse)

joe

t5 pete
Monday 23rd February 2009, 22:12
by doing this wouldnt you be getting turbo chatter as well

timbo_1975
Monday 23rd February 2009, 22:30
And hugely pronounced lag after gear changes.

thebadger
Monday 23rd February 2009, 22:37
It'll make the car sound like Darth Vaders death scene... Scraping & painful!

Don't do it man!

Save the Turbo! Kill an environmentalist! (well plant one!)

Saaamon
Monday 23rd February 2009, 23:16
The boost levels we run wont really cause much damage if you run without a recirculating valve and you would, if running a cone type filter, hear the turbo stalling. There's alot of people on here that slate members who remove the recirc valve because they like the sound of "chatter", but its a pretty common thing.

AndysR
Monday 23rd February 2009, 23:21
Mine's been removed for a while now and I love the noise, lag hasn't changed at all but then mine is auto so might not notice lag so much anyway..

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 00:43
You lot are clever, what you talkin about?

p fandango
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 02:16
Is there a benefit or is it 'kill a turbo early'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQAYXfmhco

i'm running a 19t with no dump valve or recirc valve & would say its got less lag than when i had my 15g on (because of other mods tho)

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 05:40

i'm running a 19t with no dump valve or recirc valve & would say its got less lag than when i had my 15g on (because of other mods tho)

That sounds well nice, thanks for the vid, i still don't know what's going on here!!, i'll learn though :)

p fandango
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 06:50
That sounds well nice, thanks for the vid, i still don't know what's going on here!!, i'll learn though :)
thanks, i'm happy with it

with either a recirc or a dump valve when you back off the throttle (either to change gear or just slow down) the turbo is still spinning creating boost, with a valve fitted the air is let out & the turbo is allowed to carry on spinning. But without one the air created from the turbo is trapped in the system & stopped by the throttle plate, backing the air up until it the system is full & eventually stopping the turbo & creating lag as the turbo has to start spinning back up again once you step back on the gas

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 07:39
Nice explaining, can i take off my plate for a week or two till i can afford a blanking plate for my dump valve as i've spent all my money i havn't got yet?, (i like that sound):), thankyou for the pipe and clamps by the way :)

shaun850
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 07:54
I havent run a DV for over a year.. 1.2 bar, no (extra) lag and no hint of any problems.

We dont run enough boost imo to do any real damage.

p fandango
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 07:57
Nice explaining, can i take off my plate for a week or two till i can afford a blanking plate for my dump valve as i've spent all my money i havn't got yet?, (i like that sound):)
i don't quite get what you mean tbh mate, do you mean remove the recirc valve & then fit a blanking plate later? if so then no, you'll just have a nice big hole in the side of your turbo till its blocked which isn't good

thankyou for the pipe and clamps by the way :)
is it fitted yet? pictures

thebadger
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 08:02
you can have both an external (dump valve) and a recirc valve (whats in the car as standard) But removal of both causes reverse pressure on the blades of the turbo, which can eventually damage said blades or damage the spindle core.

Do recall that a turbo works at a much higher operating tempreature than most engine components, and as the metal gurus will know, heat will make metal brittle over time.

So..... it is something you can do, but it's like a baked alaska, very nice, but it won't last very long either way!

No recirc, with a BOV will give a small amount of chatter below 3-3.5k revs, where as above this you will get normal external dump of hot gasses (TSHHHHH...).

Recirc & BOV will give no noise (other than standard pipe whoosh) below 3-3.5k revs, but a much quieter dump of gasses (tshhh..) above.

Nither of the above options (no recirc or BOV) gives that chatter sound, which as I have said is not really healthy to the turbos lifespan.

Best choice is ext BOV, or recirc only. Not both, or nither as these are exersises in futility!

My opinion & I'm sticking to it!

HTH

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 08:09
Superb, thankyou, my cars just two quiet, the wife likes it quiet, she's going to go mad when she hears the dump valve and the powerflex upper engine mount sending race tunes through the dash, i'm going to get beats!!!, hehe i laugh now!, thanks for expert advice.

Kind regards, kevin.

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 08:12
This is the one i wan't.........................

No recirc, with a BOV will give a small amount of chatter below 3-3.5k revs, where as above this you will get normal external dump of hot gasses (TSHHHHH...).

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 08:14
i don't quite get what you mean tbh mate, do you mean remove the recirc valve & then fit a blanking plate later? if so then no, you'll just have a nice big hole in the side of your turbo till its blocked which isn't good

is it fitted yet? pictures

not fitted, waiting for the reducer still, 7-10 days

i don't quite get what you mean tbh mate, do you mean remove the recirc valve & then fit a blanking plate later? yes, that's what i meant i think

p fandango
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 12:18
you can have both an external (dump valve) and a recirc valve (whats in the car as standard) But removal of both causes reverse pressure on the blades of the turbo, which can eventually damage said blades or damage the spindle core.

Do recall that a turbo works at a much higher operating tempreature than most engine components, and as the metal gurus will know, heat will make metal brittle over time.

So..... it is something you can do, but it's like a baked alaska, very nice, but it won't last very long either way!

Recirc & BOV will give no noise (other than standard pipe whoosh) below 3-3.5k revs, but a much quieter dump of gasses (tshhh..) above.

Nither of the above options (no recirc or BOV) gives that chatter sound, which as I have said is not really healthy to the turbos lifespan.

Best choice is ext BOV, or recirc only. Not both, or nither as these are exersises in futility!

My opinion & I'm sticking to it!

HTH
turbo's are developed & made to cope with the high temperatures, even as standard they run at very hot temperatures & would of thought with the high-mileage Volvo's we've got would of had blade failure of a few by now if they got brittle considering the RPM's a turbo spins at. & as mentioned we're not talking high boost levels here

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 13:37

I thought you had a "fart valve" on your DP.... I don't hear it, Or isn't it connected yet?

p fandango
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 14:07
I thought you had a "fart valve" on your DP.... I don't hear it, Or isn't it connected yet?
the "fart valve" simply bypasses the remaining exhaust system giving less back-pressure, & no it wasn't open for the first video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84&feature=channel_page

Niles
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 14:14
where do you live Duane? I want a rid in your car!!!! lol

p fandango
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 14:37
where do you live Duane? I want a rid in your car!!!! lol
Coventry i'm afraid, got a bit of wiring to sort out before i can give pleasure rides lol

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a5f6304acc.jpg

Big Pete
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 15:11
Superb, thankyou, my cars just two quiet, the wife likes it quiet, she's going to go mad when she hears the dump valve and the powerflex upper engine mount sending race tunes through the dash, i'm going to get beats!!!, hehe i laugh now!, thanks for expert advice.

Kind regards, kevin.

If you want the induction noise to be a lot louder fit an induction kit, this makes a huge amount of difference on a turbo car. I think a lot of people on here are not too keen on them because they make the induction noise a lot louder and they like to keep the stock look under the hood. I have one on my 850R and a Bailey Dump Valve and I wouldn't go back for the noise it makes!

Looks like you only have a replacement panel filter but if you want to upgrade I have one of these from http://powertecfilters.co.uk for the Volvo 850 model that was on my Volvo 850R which I took off to replace with a BSR Optiflow after I purchased the car November 2008. Only replaced because I wanted the BSR one, no other reason.

I'll let you have it for £35 delivered, includes the mounting bracket and bolt. I think this RRP is £95 or so.

To fit you remove the airbox and this slips right onto the air mass meter with the clip, and you leave the original plastic pipe from the front of the car to the airbox, this you can re-position so it forces air onto the filter.

Let me know if you are interested.

kevin 850t
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 16:04
If you want the induction noise to be a lot louder fit an induction kit, this makes a huge amount of difference on a turbo car. I think a lot of people on here are not too keen on them because they make the induction noise a lot louder and they like to keep the stock look under the hood. I have one on my 850R and a Bailey Dump Valve and I wouldn't go back for the noise it makes!

Looks like you only have a replacement panel filter but if you want to upgrade I have one of these from http://powertecfilters.co.uk for the Volvo 850 model that was on my Volvo 850R which I took off to replace with a BSR Optiflow after I purchased the car November 2008. Only replaced because I wanted the BSR one, no other reason.

I'll let you have it for £35 delivered, includes the mounting bracket and bolt. I think this RRP is £95 or so.

To fit you remove the airbox and this slips right onto the air mass meter with the clip, and you leave the original plastic pipe from the front of the car to the airbox, this you can re-position so it forces air onto the filter.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thankyou, i have an apexi sitting upstairs waiting for a 3" flange from ebay, thankyou for the offer :)

kevin 850t
Thursday 26th February 2009, 06:01
I received the flange yesterday 25th, went straight out & put it on, i took the complete airbox out and left the hose from the front for cold air, taking the airbox off i unscrewed a little metal thing with wires coming out of it, i have left this free as it doesn't move much, was i supposed to leave the bottom half of the airbox in?.
Taking it out for a spin i didn't really hear any difference in sound, i probably turned the heater off and closed my window, (wow) nice sound, turbo spool up under acceleration, dump valve noise each time i let off the throttle :) , i have been driving everywhere accelerating & coming off the throttle, our petrol will not last beyond saturday if i carry on doing this!!, can this sound be heard outside the car?, or is it like the Powerflex Upper Engine Mount that is only heard inside the car, very happy & will buy a Bsr when i can afford it.

p fandango
Thursday 26th February 2009, 06:13
thats not the pipe i sent you lol

kevin 850t
Thursday 26th February 2009, 06:26
thats not the pipe i sent you lol

Lol no, i have the pipe on my table in front of me, i had bought a reducer off ebay already, fitted it quick as we needed to go shopping, but it's ok how it is?, i have added some more photo's in my album of some other bit's i bought off ebay that i payed for today, a baileys dump valve & a Powerflex Upper Engine Mount. I will buy a dump valve fitting kit next week when i have more cash.

Kind regards, kevin.

p fandango
Thursday 26th February 2009, 07:25
Lol no, i have the pipe on my table in front of me, i had bought a reducer off ebay already, fitted it quick as we needed to go shopping, but it's ok how it is?, i have added some more photo's in my album of some other bit's i bought off ebay that i payed for today, a baileys dump valve & a Powerflex Upper Engine Mount. I will buy a dump valve fitting kit next week when i have more cash.
yeh its fine how it is. The metal thing bolted to the airbox is the BCS (boost control solenoid) with the turbo pipes coming off it, i'd secure that up because if any of those pipes come off you could end up with the actuator not being able to open & big trouble

callyuk
Thursday 26th February 2009, 14:46
Coventry i'm afraid, got a bit of wiring to sort out before i can give pleasure rides lol

My god mate you been weight reducing again have you lol :buttkick:

p fandango
Thursday 26th February 2009, 15:08
My god mate you been weight reducing again have you lol :buttkick:
oh yes i don't do half a job lol (says me sitting here tucking into a sausage sarnie lol)

Niles
Thursday 26th February 2009, 15:08

so whats the plan with all the wiring mate? More weight reduction?

p fandango
Thursday 26th February 2009, 15:15
so whats the plan with all the wiring mate? More weight reduction?
since the picture i've already cut back most of the unused wiring (& it still starts lol), still got the aftermarket alarm to be removed which has loads of wires. Then the remaining needed ones will be put into a new loom with the wires running across just under the screen

callyuk
Thursday 26th February 2009, 16:44
Well at least jules cant moan theres nowhere to put her handbag now lol

850r boy
Thursday 26th February 2009, 18:48
Hi, I have removed my recirculating valve and have had no problems sound grate but make you think if you are doing the right thing, I haven't felt any more lag than normal really