PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 Upgrades

tommy k
Monday 16th May 2005, 15:44
OK so I've just got my first T5 and now I am looking to improve the handling(it seems to go round corners like a boat! Loads of body roll!). Some of you guys out there must have loads of experience in suspension and brake upgrades, ie which are the best in terms of performance vs cost(don't want to have to phone up the Bank of England) and any Guidance you could give me would be well received(is it worth changing all of the suspension rubber as well as springs and shocks, is it worth changing the anti-roll bars or fitting a strut brace, plus best place to get them from.Which is the best Brake improvement modification vs Cost), once the roadholding is sorted I may then think about Engine/performance Mods(which are worth doing without compromising reliabillity.

Mrsmopp
Monday 16th May 2005, 15:46
Cheapest thing to start with will be the strut brace - £75 squids (thereabouts from Volvo)

Welcome to the forum!

x

chriskay
Monday 16th May 2005, 19:22
Definitely the strutbrace; a no-brainer at the price.

After_Shock
Monday 16th May 2005, 19:25
Strut brace definately as mentioned and get the Volvo one!

With regards to brakes if your on a budget check your discs are fine and if so get hold of some Ferrodo DS2500 pads, a bit pricey but more than worth it.

Then try the Eibach springs if you dont want to replace the dampers aswell, they are probably the best reviewed and most used spring upgrade available.

Bison
Monday 16th May 2005, 19:27
I've had my car lowered 40mm on a set of Eibach Springs which cost about £119. Any good mechanic should fit these for about £50 - £70 Labour.

Also A good set of Alloys 18"s preferably with some low profile tyres. A decent set can be had for around £700 with tyres 17" even cheaper! This combined wll greatly improve the look and ride of you car. Mine goes round corners like it's on rails with almost no body roll and a strutbrace is definately worth while.

Bison

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 00:23
new front shocks - it is the most overlooked thing. I can highly recommend the monroe reflex shocks. Only change the springs if you are looking to lower it.

New drop links (~18quid each) between the front shocks and the anti-roll bar. reasonably easy to do if you have the right tools - 16mm spanner and 14mm socket (if my memory serves).

Ask Richsissons another newb, who has had my old 850R springs and some new dampers and drop links. As a Volvirgin - he will be able to give you a fresh perspective on the whole handling thing.