PDA

View Full Version : 960 24 bent valves alternator align issue

wulf mtrs
Sunday 22nd February 2009, 17:30
HELLO ALL
A recent straight forward replacment of the alternator on a 960 24v seemed to be another job well done.The owner is a good friend of the gaffa and we have been looking after the car for most of its life. In typical volvo style its solid with only a annual services and brake pads being required.

The original alternator had coverd over 100.000 miles,on a N reg it simply did not show any juice coming out of it. We notified the customer and agreed to fit an aftermarket unit this was a vovlo re manufactured item.A week after fitting it the bearing was noisey so much for re manufactured so we replaced it again with a bosch unit and all was well.

Two weeks went buy when we got a call to say its on the back of a AA truck
its cut out!.Wen we checked it out we found the alternator drive belt which was a new gates micro x belt had climbed off the back of the crank pulley and was tangled around the crank gear causing the timing to jump detromently.It bent all 24 valves and smashed all 24 valve guides

We are currently re building the cylinder head, gates them selves have checked the belt out and thay say thats not the cause im happy myself thats not the cause.That only leaves one of two causes left.The alternator its self or the mounting brackett for the power steering and alternator .The alternator has staggerd back possibly from a brackett alignment issue. Has anyone had or heard of this problem please help! as i dont want to rebuild it again.We have checked alternator for fitment and have checked, compared it to another new alternator looks and fits the same is there brackett issues on 960 2.5.24V N reg?

v70torslanda
Sunday 22nd February 2009, 17:41
It sounds like an alignment issue, possibly? We had some similar problems with our Peugeot vans when a supplier sent us the wrong PAS pumps.

Dredging the memory banks I seem to recall a 960 in the workshop at Volvo in Oldham which was throwing the drive belt off, it didn't fail as dramatically as that, though. Traced to the belt tensioner/damper assembly which was worn and couldn't keep up when the engine revved hard. Not gospel cos I left there in 2006 and the place was boarded up last year.

Nice one! Pendragon! But that's another story

wulf mtrs
Sunday 22nd February 2009, 18:36
sounds that way either alternators incorect or those PAS/Alter mount/bracket out of align. They dont seem to sturdy supriseingly for volvo one of the bolts supports mount/brackett and alternator. Will check tensioner angle,guide roller etc wen its finished if i dare turn the key!

cheers nice 1

v70torslanda
Thursday 5th March 2009, 19:35
Any news?

siamblue
Friday 6th March 2009, 02:52
You could try posting this on Volvoforums.co.uk as they have their own section for a 900 series, keep us posted though,

Gary