PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Flywheel

Pete_T5
Saturday 21st February 2009, 17:00
My clutch was replaced by the previous owner in October last year. There is an advisory note on the invoice saying "Flywheel on limit". What does this mean ? I didn't think flywheels wore out ?

flyingbrick
Saturday 21st February 2009, 17:10
Not 100% but they might be refering to the duel mass flywheel. Because of the price of them there not always replaced. I think the garage are just covering themselves if it go's in the future mate..
I would'ent worrie to much about it the DMF are not a common fault on yours mate....

gazbak1
Saturday 21st February 2009, 19:04
when a clutch slips it can create a lot of heat and make heat spots on the flywheel, which can then crack (in extreme conditions). on p2 they are duel mass flywheel which have a maximum run out which could be on the limit, but as long as there is no strange noise's or vibration from the clutch then i cant see anything to worry about.

hope this helps

gazbak1

MrMopp
Saturday 21st February 2009, 19:32
Flywheel will wear pete especially if the last owner let the clutch slip for a while at the end of its life , you may find it was just an arse covering exercise by the garage :)

Redbrick
Saturday 21st February 2009, 20:00
D5's use a dual mass flywheel- basically it contains springs that will wear out at some stage. There is a test that can be done in the garage to determine if it is at the end of its life. I've just had mine replaced as it was knackered. Wasn't cheap especially when you have to give the new DMF a new clutch.

Do you have any symptoms of impending failure?

Pete_T5
Sunday 22nd February 2009, 15:26
No theres no signs. Clutch feels fine.

flyingbrick
Sunday 22nd February 2009, 21:04
:banana:Dont worrie about it then fella..............

dave stew
Monday 23rd February 2009, 09:46
Did my clutch (on a T5) at 144,000 miles as the gears were getting a bit harder to engage and the pedal was biting right at the top. I replaced the DMF, driven plate and slave cylinder. The flywheel looked slightly blue from getting too hot, but the actual driven plate had loads left on it.

That said, it's a big labour issue on these cars - if it feels OK, leave it well alone.