PDA

View Full Version : Programming Control Panel

straight5
Friday 20th February 2009, 12:57
I am desperate for some advice from those in the know. Im still new and ignorant as far as Volvo ownership goes. See the thread called Help an Idiot for my original cry for help.

As things stand I have my original heater Control Panel (HVAC?) that is completely dead. I have been told that it cannot be fixed. Ive had the car left with the battery disconnected overnight and then tried putting it back in, without any joy. I currently have a 2nd hand unit installed but although the heater and AC works, I cannot use some of the buttons. Namely I cant use my rear window/mirror defrost, I cant turn off the STC and I can't use the alarm zone control button. Volvo tell me they can't programme in a unit from another car. (I dont believe them that it isnt possible). A new "blank" unit is £500 which I can't afford. Is it true only a Volvo dealer can programme this unit in for me? If so are there more flexible Volvo dealers that might be willing to do my 2nd hand unit? Certainly Ray Chapman's in York won't.
Also if my original unit is completely dead, is that definately not repairable? If it was I could still get the £75 back that I paid for the 2nd hand one.
Im desperate for some help on this and couldnt face paying a fortune out..especially as it was my mistake that caused the problem in the first place.

straight5
Monday 23rd February 2009, 11:54
Anyone know anything?? Is there no hope?

WoodyWP
Monday 23rd February 2009, 12:43
You could try and give Roger Newhouse a buzz in Skipton as he will be able to answer your questions. He's an indie and I have used him for years. If he can sort it then it's nice ride over :-)

hamish
Monday 23rd February 2009, 13:15
Hi,

I can probably help. Although we are a long way from York.

We have Diagnos' Autologic. (Dealer Level Independent Volvo Diagnostic Tool) This will allow us to reprogram your second hand module to your car. So long as the S/H module is from a car that was the same age or newer than your car. (Reverse time travel isn't possible...yet)
I think this is the answer you wanted to hear!!

Regards,
Hamish.

straight5
Monday 23rd February 2009, 19:36
Hi,

I can probably help. Although we are a long way from York.

We have Diagnos' Autologic. (Dealer Level Independent Volvo Diagnostic Tool) This will allow us to reprogram your second hand module to your car. So long as the S/H module is from a car that was the same age or newer than your car. (Reverse time travel isn't possible...yet)
I think this is the answer you wanted to hear!!

Regards,
Hamish.

Hi Hamish,
Thanks for the reply. How far is far? Depending on where you are it may be possible. I do get to other parts now and again anyway, so it may tie up. Alternatively who might use the same diagnostics tool in my area?
By the way the unit I have is meant to be from similar aged car, although it differs in that it has the buttons for heated seats which I dont have.

thebadger
Monday 23rd February 2009, 19:40
The buttons are still there.... I have the heated seat buttons, but no heated seats.

If you gently pull the button cover on the old unit, it'll come free & you should see 2 blank button cores (white plastic).

HTH

straight5
Monday 23rd February 2009, 20:16
The buttons are still there.... I have the heated seat buttons, but no heated seats.

If you gently pull the button cover on the old unit, it'll come free & you should see 2 blank button cores (white plastic).

HTH

I was tempted to swap the blank cover with the two buttons. But then thought it looks better as it is. I can pretend I have the heated seats, so long as no passengers call my bluff. I take it the knobs for temperature and the fan dont come off. I tried pulling them but didnt want to pull too hard. They are a bit scuffed on the unit Ive fitted, whereas my original one was pristine.

thebadger
Monday 23rd February 2009, 22:30
That would involve a strip down...

You could just switch the circut boards....

Take you about... 20 mins with care & attention!

I did a small LED project on my unit, the board is a seperate item from the knobs & push button parts (for the sake of the backlighting) so easy to swap out.

Also the plastic colour may vary just a touch through age, sunlight and abuse!

The unit is mostly just small cross point screws IIRC, but watch out for all the plastic clips round the sides!

straight5
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 09:13
Thanks Badger, I might take a look at that. I work in IT so am used to taking laptops etc apart. Although as this issue all originates from my ineptitude, I will have to switch my brain on this time.

thebadger
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 11:17
It is pretty straight forward, but the trick is to do it all face down, there's some plastic sheilding to keep the lights effective.

Don't force anything! Too many small fiddly clips to snap!

Cheers

straight5
Tuesday 24th February 2009, 11:59
It is pretty straight forward, but the trick is to do it all face down, there's some plastic sheilding to keep the lights effective.

Don't force anything! Too many small fiddly clips to snap!

Cheers

Thanks mate, appreciate that, I will try to be gentle. You have given me the confidence to give it a try. So thanks mate. Pity I dont live nearer Glasgow I reckon.

straight5
Wednesday 25th February 2009, 15:45
Thanks to Hamish for his speedy responses and helpful information. If I cannot find someone nearby who can reprogramme my unit and turn off my daylight running, then I will definately drop into his place next time I make a trip down the M42.