PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox removal

The_Rapid_Tank
Thursday 19th February 2009, 10:41
Right as my gearbox has gone, im taking one out of another car to put in mine. is there any easy way to do it, or do u have to drop the subframe etc cheers

LesRED850R
Thursday 19th February 2009, 10:52
As far as i know ,its from the bottom. But t needs very carefull from below.

Niles
Thursday 19th February 2009, 10:57
its possible to take the box out without taking the whole engine out, however, that's a major pain!!! much easier to drop the subframe complete with the engine to give you a lot more space to work & a good view to see if everything else is all ok while you have the chance.

Alan M
Thursday 19th February 2009, 12:33
Dropping everything on the subframe will enable you to change mounts and all the bushes should they need to be. It will make jobs like the ARB bushes a lot easier to do. You will also be able to check your steering rack and other parts easier to.

spesh
Thursday 19th February 2009, 15:53
i find it easier to pull the engine and box out the top, just my 2p

t5 pete
Thursday 19th February 2009, 17:56
The best way i found it was to drop the subfame but as that was the first time i did it it did take a few days to remove, new clutch etc and refit

The_Rapid_Tank
Thursday 19th February 2009, 18:20
i dropped the subframe today and got the gearbox out. I was going to get a uprated clutch but found on the clutch on the other one has only done a few k so will put it on with the gearbox.