PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid renewal

Saaamon
Wednesday 18th February 2009, 00:13
Hi there, i've bled brakes in the past but never flushed the brake fluid completely out. So i'm just under abit of advise please,

Which order to bleed them?
How do you know when you have completely flushed the old oil?
How much oil to use?
Do you brakes prime them self on turning the ignition key? Like on Ford Sierra for example.
Which "DOT" oil is suitable?
How much oil will i require?

Any other bits of info would be most helpful.
While i'm on the subject of brakes, is it easy enough to wind the piston back in to the rear cailpers without the proper tool?

Thanks,
Saaamon.

Niles
Wednesday 18th February 2009, 09:43
* Which order to bleed them? 1st is either of the rear calipers, then the other rear caliper. Then front divers side, finally, front passenger side.

* How do you know when you have completely flushed the old oil? The fluid should be a slightly different colour, or, use dot 5.1, thats clear fluid not green/brown.

* How much oil to use? Total flush is 1 liter. I bought 1.5lts & didn't have to open the .5ltr bottle.

* Do you brakes prime them self on turning the ignition key? Like on Ford Sierra for example. When the flush is complete just pump the brake peddle until it feels firm.

* Which "DOT" oil is suitable? standard would be Dot4, I used dot 5.1.

* How much oil will i require? at least 1ltr.

is it easy enough to wind the piston back in to the rear cailpers without the proper tool?
Yes.

Saaamon
Wednesday 18th February 2009, 21:24
Nice one cheers mate!

dublint5
Wednesday 18th February 2009, 22:56
must do mine after i get all the other jobs done

Jon K
Thursday 19th February 2009, 13:16
I am about to do mine, I will be using Automec Dot 5 Silicone fluid.

It does not absorb water and does not harm paint, in theory once you change it you never have to do it again. It is about 25 quid a liter though. you know when it is through because it is purple. Good stuff!!