PDA

View Full Version : VT Chip or Superchips

Enigma666
Monday 16th May 2005, 00:12
Hi, i'm trying to decide between a superchip and a full remap from VT.
Has anybody had experience of the superchips setup?
I have an S40 1.9T4 currently stock, i'm looking at a 3" SS Exhaust Downpipe Back etc and dont want to get it mapped, then add the exhaust and not be able to unlock the extra ower gains as a result.

any advice would be great,
Also does anybody know how much the VT re-map is?

cheers

Chris

siamblue
Monday 16th May 2005, 00:29
Hi Mate,I too was thinking of the exhaust and downpipe route,But after speaking to someone today who has a catback at £300 and a downpipe and cat at £570 is it worth it for another 10-20 hp ?
The Ecu upgrade is well worth it, Totally transforms the car,Have a look on VTs web site for the Rica,Some people have gone BSR or TME.

Enigma666
Monday 16th May 2005, 07:50
Cheers for that mate, was thinking of the RICA just for the name and as for the exhaust, that's something that can be looked at in the future I suppose. If i can get the extra 10-20hp though for the cost of a downpipe, then deffinately tempted.

Redbrick
Monday 16th May 2005, 09:48
This is from personal experience being the proud owner of a Superchip without realising it! That should say enough in itself. CRAP, thought it was standard!

The 850 Superchip realies on a bleed valve to set boost, yes its that old. I should imagine the S40 is a little more refined being a newer model.

VT did a good job on my R so they did my Passat as well. They know Volvos very well and diagnosed my faulty boost control solenoid that had been missed by my local Volvo independant when they rebuilt my engine.

If it was my money I'd go VT every time.

elliot
Monday 16th May 2005, 11:15
i am not sure the rica gives any more power than the rest just have a look at the dyno day they had.if you live near VT i would say its worth the extra money if not i would go another route like TME or upsolute.Simon coe from upsolute will come and fit the chip at your house!

volvotuning
Monday 16th May 2005, 11:58
i am not sure the rica gives any more power than the rest just have a look at the dyno day they had.if you live near VT i would say its worth the extra money if not i would go another route like TME or upsolute.Simon coe from upsolute will come and fit the chip at your house!

A dyno day is all you are basing your opinion on? fair enough. But I can show you cars that on that dyno day were not running right.

Adam.

elliot
Monday 16th May 2005, 12:12
no i know that dyno days are not that good of and indication, but you can also look at the trap speeds at santa pod,i have also tried a rica ecu and the difference between it and a std upsolute is tiny in an 850 t5.People just need to made aware that there are other options out there.I also made the point that if the person lived near to VT then it was probably worth the extra cash to get the car checked out,but if you need to travel miles then i did'nt think it was worth it ,IMO.I dont want an argument because as is evident from this forum many people are very happy with the rica software,as i am with mine, just trying to make a point that there are other options that are virtually equal in performance for less money.

volvotuning
Monday 16th May 2005, 12:58
no i know that dyno days are not that good of and indication, but you can also look at the trap speeds at santa pod,i have also tried a rica ecu and the difference between it and a std upsolute is tiny in an 850 t5.People just need to made aware that there are other options out there.I also made the point that if the person lived near to VT then it was probably worth the extra cash to get the car checked out,but if you need to travel miles then i did'nt think it was worth it ,IMO.I dont want an argument because as is evident from this forum many people are very happy with the rica software,as i am with mine, just trying to make a point that there are other options that are virtually equal in performance for less money.

Pod results - same applies there, plus you do have to launch it right. I know there are other options. Did you have the RICA ECU fitted here?

Adam.

Ross9
Monday 16th May 2005, 13:07
It should also be noted that the car in question is a T4, not a T5.

Are there any T4 drivers with RICA that can offer their experience, I speak highly of TME on the T4's, having driven 2 and seen a 3rd on the rollers, all owners were extremely happy with the results, however all 3 were done by Marco himself on the road using a laptop, not by simply sending the ECU to TME to be done, so it's not surprising the results were slightly better than the claimed figures, Jacq's T4 made 5 bhp and 5-7 lb/ft over the claimed figs for the standard reflash and aftermarket exhaust.

As for the subject of the thread, I would stear clear of superchips, not up to much IMO, definately get a reflashed ECU, there are a few different providers and some research should help you decide what one will suit you best.

Ross

Enigma666
Monday 16th May 2005, 17:03
Cheers for the responses guys, does anybody have the contact details for Marco at all?

volvotuning
Monday 16th May 2005, 17:29
Marco lives in Sweden. Don't have his number though.

Adam.

Ross9
Monday 16th May 2005, 17:45
Yeah, sorry, dont know why I assumed you would know that Enigma, TME is a swedish company, though Marco does now travel to countries to do bespoke mapping on cars, as opposed the other method if simply removing the ECU and sending it to sweden, think its about 6 or 7 day turn around from posting to recieving it back, and you dont get a custom map for this.

Speak to Don at Kalmar Union for info on the MTE/MTE product, and contact details for Marco, and when he'll next be in London to do some custom mapping on the road.

Ross

volvotuning
Monday 16th May 2005, 18:25
Hi, i'm trying to decide between a superchip and a full remap from VT.
Has anybody had experience of the superchips setup?
I have an S40 1.9T4 currently stock, i'm looking at a 3" SS Exhaust Downpipe Back etc and dont want to get it mapped, then add the exhaust and not be able to unlock the extra ower gains as a result.

any advice would be great,
Also does anybody know how much the VT re-map is?

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure you will find a SS exhaust system because Supersprint have discontinued Volvo exhaust systems when I last spoke to them. You may find someone who still has stock, but I have no idea where from.

VT RICA upgrade is £400 + VAT for your car. We can do custom mapping if you wish.

Adam.

siamblue
Monday 16th May 2005, 18:35
There was a s/s system in the for sale section recently,Or go to Longlife for a custom made jobby.