PDA

View Full Version : Porting and Injectors

dangerstevie
Sunday 15th February 2009, 22:36
I have picked up a head off a V70 T5 today and plan to do some porting work and flow testing. Firstly though i thought i would set about stripping the head for a good recon and standard setup and to my horror found the valve cover was snapped around the end of the cams. The "keyway" for the want of a better word, (bits where the valve cover acts like a bit like a locating thrust bearing). So i now need to get a new valve cover and have it skimmed, line bored etc if its not within tolerance on the cams that are in the head. But that was pretty much the only thing wrong with it barring a lot of mayo in the oilways, breathers etc. pointing to a possible warped / cracked head.

Anyway i now have a set of white injectors i have ultrasonically cleaned etc. and a spare intake and exhaust manifold. How do i tell the differences between the different exhaust manifolds that are available for the T5 motors. And also what is the difference in injectors? i.e flow rate of the orange ones vs the white ones etc.

Ta

Niles
Sunday 15th February 2009, 23:21
orange injectors = 315cc
whites injectors = 350cc

As for manifolds, the early t5 1's have 3 vanes in the turbo outlet port, the vanes are flush to the outlet & the outlet itself has a casting mark on it that looks like a tennis net, kind of hash marks.
A late t5 (ME7) manifold has NO such tennis net casting marks & the 3 vanes are recessed into the port.

ME7 manifolds flow much better, the ultimate manifold is from an S60R, be prepared to pay £200+ for a used S60R & appx 50-70 for a late ME7 manifold.

woz
Sunday 15th February 2009, 23:29
orange injectors = 315cc
whites injectors = 350cc

As for manifolds, the early t5 1's have 3 vanes in the turbo outlet port, the vanes are flush to the outlet & the outlet itself has a casting mark on it that looks like a tennis net, kind of hash marks.
A late t5 (ME7) manifold has NO such tennis net casting marks & the 3 vanes are recessed into the port.

ME7 manifolds flow much better, the ultimate manifold is from an S60R, be prepared to pay £200+ for a used S60R & appx 50-70 for a late ME7 manifold.

Good post Niles. Thanks. How interchangeable are they between heads/engines/turbos etc???. Implication is there are no issues - is that your understanding?
Cheers
Woz

dangerstevie
Sunday 15th February 2009, 23:37
Ok cool so on my car i currently have the std T5 tennis net manifold, and on my bench i have a tennis net manifold and a ME7 manifold too. and a nice cleaned ready to be flow tested set of white injectors.

Alan M
Monday 16th February 2009, 11:07
What part of the upper bearing cover is broken exactly? Is it the part that is between the cam (end type ring) and where the cam seal locates? If so that part of the cover is for holding the cam in position to stop end float of the cam. The engine I bought which has been rebuilt in the past has slight damage to them also but it will not effect the running of the car in any way. I think it happens when the cam is slightly out of position when having the cover clamped to the head.

dangerstevie
Monday 16th February 2009, 12:09
ill take some pictures tonight and post them up. I am almost certain its to stop the end float, its on the pulley side of the head.

I have now put the injectors through a series of ultrasonic cleaning sessions until no more crap comes from them so now they are all properly cleaned inside & out ready to sell along with the fuel rail & reg.
I think i am going to just recon the valve seats & valves, triple angle them, clean up the casting marks, enlarge the exhaust ports slightly & unmask the valves a little then sell it as i am running out of time for my other projects b4 jnr comes along.