PDA

View Full Version : eBay brakes?

Kent Canary
Monday 9th February 2009, 21:19
I need to replace the front discs and pads, and eventually rear pads on my 99 V40 T4.

Have been quoted £241.27 for the front set and £67.79 for the rear pads, all fitted.

Was advised not to go for cheap options due to it being a T4 etc.

Did a bit of noodling on the net and the prices seem comparable for volvo parts against other new, branded parts (source, EBC grooved) however mainly for curiosity purposes I looked at eBay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=volvo+v40+brake+discs&_sacat=See-All-Categories

There are some unbranded for ridiuclously cheap prices, or Mintex, or even 'genuine' prices seen to range from £19 to £150 for individual parts or sets.

Is this a) Ridiculously cheap, why would you even consider it

b) all made of compressed grass and frisbees made to look like metal

c) Absolute bargain

d) risky venture

e) choose your own option

Anyone had particular experience of such purchases? Or should I stick to the golden rule - nothing beats genuine parts reliably fitted by a trusted mechanic...

tigmac
Monday 9th February 2009, 22:29
I used 'quality.car.parts' (the Mintex brake box) for the front of my 850 AWD recently; it was exactly what it seemed to be, good value, no postage issues..
No reason not to recommend..

daveforber
Monday 9th February 2009, 22:33
I'd avoid the cheap cheap stuff just because it's brakes and you need them to work - not worth the gamble, right?

Go with a quality aftermarket brand, say Mintex. £70 for the front discs, £30 for the pads from partsforvolvos, i.e. £100 + delivery + fitting.

If it's a modded T4 you would certainly want to avoid the cheap stuff and possibly go with a premium aftermarket brand, say Tarox or Black Diamond, possibly EBC. EBC front discs are £50-70 and pads £70, i.e. up to £140 plus delivery + fitting (from ebcbrakesdirect.com)

Al115
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 03:42
Genuines mate. You can get them for not a lot these days (ebay...)

thebadger
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 03:51
Ask a local parts shop, they can usually sorce them as cheap as most online places, also you have someone to go back to if there's an issue!

One of my mates got original volvo pads for his C70 for less than £40 from a local parts supplier & had them fitted by the local garage when it's MOT was due for £20!

Also keeps a small buisness in place during these tough times!

I have bought things off ebay & had the seller suddenly stop trading just after the sale was completed! (I did get my goods, but no feedback or comeback!)

Kent Canary
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 08:17
Thanks for the input guys. I will look at sourcing genuine ones and have got someone to fit them. Cheers :)

Kent Canary
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 09:55
Although have just rung sc motor factors, who offer Delphi oem parts -

£62.88 pair front discs

£33.97 front pads

£41.85 rear discs

£30.85 rear pads

Got to be contenders?

Tim Williams
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 10:39
You have a PM.

I can cut £45.95 off the price you have and thats for genuine Volvo ones.

Al115
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 12:28
I've also sent a PM as I can get you the front set in Genuine for a frankly ridiculous price - ie about a hundred notes :)

p fandango
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 12:40
i've used EBC turbo grooved discs before & they surfaced cracked up so wouldn't use them again

PaulZX
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 12:41
I got some non-branded drilled and grooved discs with mintex pads from ebay, for around the £100 mark, and they're very very good.... the fridge mover stops from 60mph in less than 3 car lengths.

I gave a pal of mine a wedgie, she stopped that well!

Kent Canary
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 16:19
Great - thanks for all responses and Pm's - have now sourced genuines at a great price and can get them fitted locally. Fantastic! Cheers guys.

Tim Williams
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 16:30
With £100 of ebay brakes you have exceeded what Continental have achieved with developing a new tire designed to work with their own brake and suspension system. Were they 3 stretched limo's?

PaulZX
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 17:28
No, but if you choose not to believe me, that's up to you.....

Although I will add it was approaching a set of lights, on that shell grip anti skid surface...

Rufe
Wednesday 11th February 2009, 11:23
Although have just rung sc motor factors, who offer Delphi oem parts -

£62.88 pair front discs

£33.97 front pads

£41.85 rear discs

£30.85 rear pads

Got to be contenders?

How about genuine volvo parts, for similar money?

See how my prices compare, (normal retail shown in brackets)

Pair of front disks - £69.55 inc vat (for the pair) (rrp£99.36)

Set of front pads - £36.55 inc vat (rrp £52.21)

Pair of rear disks - £45.40 inc vat for the pair (rrp £64.86)

Set of rear pads - £29.46 inc vat (rrp £42.10)

Total Postage £10.00 DHL 48h

Simon :)

Rufe
Wednesday 11th February 2009, 11:27
One of my mates got original volvo pads for his C70 for less than £40 from a local parts supplier & had them fitted by the local garage when it's MOT was due for £20!

That sounds steep to me seeing as i sell genuine C70 rear pads for £20.77 inc vat, plus £2.80 postage

As i have said, its worth keeping us in mind, we sell brake parts (and all other genuine parts to be honest) a lot cheaper than retail. and we are not going anywhere, been supplying online for the last few years, though we have been a volvo dealer for a lot longer lol.

Simon :)

thebadger
Thursday 12th February 2009, 07:32
Front pads Simon...

I'm probably wrong tho, it was deffo dirty cheap for genuine! I think he went with mintex in the end as the prices were v close.

I'll ask soon & post back!

Rufe
Thursday 12th February 2009, 12:29
Front pads Simon...

I'm probably wrong tho, it was deffo dirty cheap for genuine! I think he went with mintex in the end as the prices were v close.

I'll ask soon & post back!

ah right, dont ask me why but i thought i read rear pads. as it happens though we sell genuine 850/SVC70 front pads for £35.42 plus £4.20 delivery. (full retail is normally £50.61, so i do think its a very good price myself)

Simon

thebadger
Thursday 12th February 2009, 12:46
As always Simon, you're never short of buisness... Good advert for the prices available!

The pads are the cheap option tho... tell us all the wonderful prices you have on discs!

Nope, hang on, you already did!

New glasses for the badger! (even tho I don't wear any!)

Your prices are way reasonable tho! (as always!)