PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

Tomcat
Saturday 7th February 2009, 16:40
I've been keeping an eye on the temp gauge recently and I've noticed that it sometimes take a hell of a long time to warm up. Been out today and bought a set of Torx bits so I can change the thermostat, however, having had a quick look they're already a bit mangled. Not to be put off I had a go anyway, after ten minutes of swearing and grunting all I succeded in doing was to bend one of my new torx bits and to round the bolt off a little more. I think before I bugger it up completely I'm going to order a replacement Thermostat housing off Readview, anyone tell me how big a job it is to replace the housing?.

abdul
Saturday 7th February 2009, 16:44
very easy once u can get it open

Tomcat
Saturday 7th February 2009, 16:47
Lol, I know replacing the thermostat is easy Abdul, I've done one before. The trouble is the damn bolts are seized and partialy rounded off, what I need to know is how easy is it to replace the whole housing.

5seaterT5x2
Saturday 7th February 2009, 18:34
Lol, I know replacing the thermostat is easy Abdul, I've done one before. The trouble is the damn bolts are seized and partialy rounded off, what I need to know is how easy is it to replace the whole housing.

nothing to dramatic, i had to change mine last december when i er um tapped the end of the 2 torx bolts to loosen em. iirc power steering resivior and such has to come of but it was nothing to terrible, (memories not what it oughta be ;-)
i got a 2nd hand one in the end cant remember price bout £15 i think

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 12:54
Its an easy job but can get fiddly.

Make sure you are directly over the bolts in question - any deviance will cause the head stripping.

One bit of advice move the hose pipe that goes to the hosuing as I could not get the housing clear enough to pull the thermo out.

PFV sell housing kits.

cheers

1996 850 T5
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 18:05
irwin bolt extractors

theyre like mechanical magic :)

Tomcat
Tuesday 10th February 2009, 18:37
Mmmm your tempting me to get a set now.

Rufe
Wednesday 11th February 2009, 13:59
PFV sell housing kits.

cheers
i just looked and they are more expensive than i sell the genuine part for. (theirs is only about a pound more than ours before postage but ours is a genuine part)

That is only the top section though on the PFV site, as they dont actually list the lower housing that fits to the engine that Tomcat requires. That part actually works out at £49.50 all in from us, that is including a new gasket 2 new thermostat top pipe bolts and delivery.

The parts i have quoted for are as shown here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/tstat1b.jpg

(usual retail total would be £63.90 before postage, P/n's:1397909, 9463274, 969156x2).

Simon

timbo_1975
Wednesday 11th February 2009, 14:52
Bloody bargain I would say!

About time afew of the other Volvo dealers started taking note on what is customer service, interest in their own product, knowledge of their own product, and an actual wish to sell parts to a customer!!!

Major Frank Squiff
Wednesday 11th February 2009, 15:13
I am not trying to rob anyone of business but I have got sitting on the shelf in my garage the housing (part no 01397909) the gasket(part no 094632740 and the three torx bolts for the housing(part no 00986228). I bought these to be ready in case I nadged things up when I had the same problem as you. I managed to saw most of the upper thermostat housing away and then get a pair of molegrips on the bolts and turn them out. Are you interested? If so pm me

Alan M
Wednesday 11th February 2009, 18:56
If your careful TC you will be able to use an impact driver to remove the old bolts if you cut a slot in the top of the worn bolt/s. Drench in WD40 first then leave for a while then you should be able to remove them with a little percussive extraction.