PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Wipers...

cornclose
Saturday 7th February 2009, 11:07
Mine are always 'lifting off' the glass they're supposed to wipe. It's as if the spring holding them down is not strong enough, or the pivot is too stiff.

Anyone ever lubricated them, or replace the spring ? Or is this just a common issue ?

thebadger
Saturday 7th February 2009, 12:13
How old are the blades?

Maybe they're bouncing rather than cleaning.

Do the joints look seized? Maybe try tightening the hinge pin, set of cicle grips/shifting grips should allow you to pinch it slightly.

cornclose
Saturday 7th February 2009, 21:01
Blades are fine - almost like new, must have been replaced by the previous owner.

The hinge is a little stiff, but I can't see how tightening it would make it better. I think if lubriction doesn't sort it, it's time for new springs. But I'll have a good look tomorrow when it's light (and hopefully a little warmer!).

dave stew
Saturday 7th February 2009, 22:35
Mine are exactly the same. Maybe it's the springs?

v70torslanda
Sunday 8th February 2009, 00:43
It's down to stiction in the hinges.
Galvanic corrosion between the aluminium boss and the steel arm at the hinge makes the hinge stiff. Because the wipers are so short they have to cope with a much greater range of movement at the hinge and when they stiffen they will lift off the surface of the glass because the spring cannot overcome the stiffness in the hinge.

If you can't free them off then you will need to replace them.

luv'n'stuff

J

cornclose
Sunday 8th February 2009, 09:42
Cheers J. Thats what it appeared to be. Out with the WD40 for a start I think...

v70torslanda
Sunday 8th February 2009, 10:02
Cheers J. Thats what it appeared to be. Out with the WD40 for a start I think...

You need something that won't wash off, that's a very hostile place for WD40.

Some aerosol PTFE grease will penetrate the hinge of copper grease if there's nowt else.

John

cornclose
Sunday 8th February 2009, 19:15
Tried WD40 and it proves that it is a sticky hinge. Free as a bird now and they don't lift off when operated.

I'll use a PTFE based alternative (when I find it!). I have a small sample in a 50ml aerosol which came free with some oil or other from many years ago...

v70torslanda
Sunday 8th February 2009, 19:23
If you can get to Euro Car Parts they do a ceramic based anti-sieze lube called 'Off Shore' from the Normfest range. It's really for brake pads but it's completely non-metallic and can be used anywhere.

Not cheap at around £8 a can but worth it.

cornclose
Sunday 8th February 2009, 19:31
Thanks - I'll bear that in mind if I can't find the PTFE stuff or it proves to be unsuccessful. Cheers.