PDA

View Full Version : To much wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear

feeney709
Friday 6th February 2009, 17:18
Ive not long had my t5, its running about 13-15psi, induction kit, mbc etc, im getting to much wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear and a little in third, how can istop it stop most of it, thanks

jez.w
Friday 6th February 2009, 17:22
Use less power and get better tyres.

walter leever
Friday 6th February 2009, 17:27
Use less power and get better tyres.

As above,learn to control your foot when taking off,then when it's rolling

give it the beans(it's not a sprinter,too heavy and wheelspin,fwd):uglyhamme

t5 pete
Friday 6th February 2009, 19:23
learn how to work the accelator and put the best tyres on you can afford and in the wet done even bother trying its usless

My T5
Friday 6th February 2009, 19:27
Hi mate,i have the same problem too,mainly due to ****e roads! Dont just plant your foot into the carpet,learn to progresively put the power down and you'll have far more fun!!!!!

wegal
Friday 6th February 2009, 19:40
Throttle control... plain and simple, dont expect blistering 0-60 times its just to heavy, get it rolling and feed the power in, you'll soon get the hang of it and the car will respond better as well.

Tyres worth looking at, how much tread do you have left, a lot of tyres kinda give up once you get to below 3mm, the grip they give is much less than you would expect. Try using UHP tyres, like vredstien or something like that, most branded tyres are designed to be comfortable and give long life grip is not the major concern. With UHP tyres generally grip is the foremost consideration... Give this site a try, spend some time looking at the different tyres and what people who have used them rate them, no manufacturing rubbish just honest opinion... both good and bad.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I went for these in the end due to peoples reviews and I have not been disapointed at all.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm

However it is all pretty academic unless you learn to feed the power in gradually.

feeney709
Friday 6th February 2009, 19:50
throttle control... Plain and simple, dont expect blistering 0-60 times its just to heavy, get it rolling and feed the power in, you'll soon get the hang of it and the car will respond better as well.

Tyres worth looking at, how much tread do you have left, a lot of tyres kinda give up once you get to below 3mm, the grip they give is much less than you would expect. Try using uhp tyres, like vredstien or something like that, most branded tyres are designed to be comfortable and give long life grip is not the major concern. With uhp tyres generally grip is the foremost consideration... Give this site a try, spend some time looking at the different tyres and what people who have used them rate them, no manufacturing rubbish just honest opinion... Both good and bad.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

i went for these in the end due to peoples reviews and i have not been disapointed at all.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/tyre/vredestein/ultrac-sessanta.htm

however it is all pretty academic unless you learn to feed the power in gradually.

just like to say thanks for the advice, i aint got a heavy foot, just that my last car was a subaru and im probably asking a bit to much of the volvo with launching it, i have good tyres on the car ive just got learn to pick up the speed gradualy, thanks anyway

wegal
Friday 6th February 2009, 21:13
Yeah the scooby is quicker to 60, but when you get over 60 watch the volvo wind it back in and then go past. Im my experience compared to the volvo the scoobie runs out of puff at 90. ok so not much use on a public road ill grant you that, but all the same..... ;-)

mexybhouy
Friday 6th February 2009, 21:39
Get an AWD model !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaun850
Friday 6th February 2009, 21:41
Get an M59 box, ditch the MBC and go for a remap.

walter leever
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:07

It still won't outdo the SOEB when sprinting,volvo's(T-5,T-5R,R)weren't made for sprinting.

But as stated,once you get past 60,then it's SOEB watch and learn.:nutkick:

Adge
Saturday 7th February 2009, 18:25
Shouldn't traction control manage this, or is it not fitted? Don't have the problem with C70T5!

Jamest5r
Saturday 7th February 2009, 18:40
Are your shocks and springs old? when i changed mine a couple of months ago front stayed much lower and gripped better but it is an auto.

Hunter
Saturday 7th February 2009, 19:11

Shouldn't traction control manage this, or is it not fitted? Don't have the problem with C70T5!

Neither makes much difference when it's freezing outside. I run an S60R and I've never had so much wheelspin in an AWD car! The traction control isn't designed for power, it's designed for slow speed use. Having it on while accelerating briskly just makes the car judder under wheelspin as the traction control struggles to cope. I now run the car with the DSTC off completely as it makes the car much more controllable. Proper winter tyres will help more than anything although, as others have said, gentler throttle control will limit the wheelspin (but where's the fun in that! ;) )

nathT5
Sunday 8th February 2009, 12:31
only in first and second, whats up with you???

honestly though, i dont boot mine till its in third, and that can still be entertaining.
the MBC wont be helping matters, mine boosts earlier and far more aggressive than a BCS car.
thats the last thing you need if you want traction ;)

The_Rapid_Tank
Monday 9th February 2009, 13:00
i find mine spins in 3rd as above dont just plant. mine only spins in second now unless i just plant it lol