PDA

View Full Version : Rear Washer

richiemat
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 20:53
My P2 V70 rear washer jet has stopped spraying water....the nozzle isnt blocked i can only assume a pipe could have come off somewhere? Does anyone know where it is routed through and where it is pumped from?

Cheers

Tomcat
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 21:22
If it's anything like the earlier cars then it comes from the same bottle as the front ones and runs the length of the car. In the boot (under right hand side floor) there is a filter, this usually gets blocked up with stuff.

thebadger
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 23:20
it goes through the drivers side hinge (under the black sheild) may be worth checking, also look at the access from the D pillar on that side!

The pipe attaches to a plastic nozzel tip that goes through the motor assembly.

This pulls out (gently now, it may snap if mistreated!) to allow a clean of the nozzel. Also it may have detached at the point where the hose meets the pipe on the motor.

All good starters, but I think there would be two seperate pumps for the washers.

Might be a dud pump assembly!

richiemat
Thursday 5th February 2009, 10:48
Thanks Guys.

day dawned...i went out to start to take it apart and had only blown the fuse. I guess it could've been from the frozen weather when trying to pump frozen water.

a happy ending for a change :D

thebadger
Thursday 5th February 2009, 12:22
Good stuff! My rear wiper won't park, the motor has gone! Joy!

richiemat
Thursday 5th February 2009, 16:28
Good stuff! My rear wiper won't park, the motor has gone! Joy!

that seems like another common problem, not one i've encountered before so i googled and found this...look about half way down. Think i will take mine off and grease it :D

http://swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Electrical-Wipers1.html

thebadger
Thursday 5th February 2009, 16:58
Yeah, but my arm stops randomly, every time... it goes for just less than one "swing", so it then stops about 3" from where it should be on the second attempted swing, which you need to flick the switch to iniciate!

A new motor I think!

Also means I will not need to worry about it for a while!

(I had a look at the motor, the mechanisim looks ok, but I'm guessing its an electrical issue/fault!)

cornclose
Thursday 5th February 2009, 17:02
I've stripped down wiper motors in the past because of park problems, and in all cases the problem has been with the park switch rather than the motor.

Either the park switch's contacts are a little pitted or the cam on which it operates gets worn in my experience. Either way, with a little modification/emery cloth it's usually easy to fix.

thebadger
Thursday 5th February 2009, 17:07
I have no clue where the switch is tho!

Also I get a bit worried about trying to remove the wiper arm off the spindle!

cornclose
Thursday 5th February 2009, 17:37
The switch is usually inside the motor casing - i.e. it's part of the motor. Never looked on V70 though as I've never done one...

thebadger
Thursday 5th February 2009, 18:00
Yeah, the motor is a seald box!

The plate comes off the mechanisinm, but the switch is not there!

It will be cheaper to swap out the whole unit!

cornclose
Thursday 5th February 2009, 18:10
Bugger - the last one I did wasn't sealed -Torx bolts only.

thebadger
Thursday 5th February 2009, 18:17
Yeah, the mech has about 8 torx head bolts, but there are two that I can see hold the motor to the mech.

Stuffed!