PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof - WAAGH!

woz
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:02
Opened the sunroof the other day. Lovely. Tried to close it - not so lovely. It shut about 1/3 of the way then stopped and opened itself again. I guess it thinks it has a childs head in the way so Captain Safety steps in to the rescue. I spent 45 mins trying to shut it - only managed in the end after loosening every torx fastener I could find on the mechanism. Tried it again - same thing. 45 mins later I got it shut again - now I dare not open it.
It does open on the tilt, but not the slide, and its the original factory electric jobby. Help!

My thoughts are:
May be its just the motor getting tired - is that replaceable?
get a second hand one from a breaker.
Go to the auto elec place or sunroof place down the road.
Are they real nightmares to get out?

Any suggestions?
Cheers
Woz the frustrated of Bristol
:bricks:
This will eat up the money I was going spend at VT ;>(

fraz13
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:13
Ad start by giving the runners a wee grease, it sounds like its mibees dry and then sticking which makes it thing as ye said a kids head or something

Goof
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:14
I'm no expert - but check the plastic "hinge" covers each side are in correctly (one of mine fell off once) as it may have come partially dislodged and be hampering the closing. (My, that all sounded posh!).
Check the "tracks" - possibly lube if you think.

Tip - don't bork about with it if it looks like rain! ;)

JUDGENINJA
Friday 13th May 2005, 23:56
Check that your wind deflector that pops up has not seized...

I noticed a curious thing when I first purchased my car. If you are travelling at high speeds with the sunroof all the was back and try to close it it gets as far as the point in which it should push the wind deflector down and then springs back. I lubricated all the moving parts which made it run smoother but it still retracts some times. I solve this by pressing the button for short bursts until closed completly.....

woz
Saturday 14th May 2005, 01:38
Thanks Judge, Goof and Fraz. Already tried the lube, freed up the deflector, poked around inside the roof lining to see if anything catching in there. I can find nothing. Next step has to be take the b....y thing out.

As you say - a job for a nice day or three - I 'll check the 5 day forecast first and keep a big roll of plastic sheet handy. Better get the heater matrix done first.

Anyone any experience of taking one of these out?

Woz

Goof
Saturday 14th May 2005, 11:37
I think you'll be the first!
Good luck, and take some pics!
(Could be useful for putting it back in later!) ;)

dj_rog
Monday 16th May 2005, 07:59
Thanks Judge, Goof and Fraz. Already tried the lube, freed up the deflector, poked around inside the roof lining to see if anything catching in there. I can find nothing. Next step has to be take the b....y thing out.

As you say - a job for a nice day or three - I 'll check the 5 day forecast first and keep a big roll of plastic sheet handy. Better get the heater matrix done first.

Anyone any experience of taking one of these out?

Woz

Yeah - I took one out on my last 850. Not very difficult from memory. Just follow the instructions in Haynes...

Enjoy!