PDA

View Full Version : Power increase with Ferrita full exhaust system with a HLM 304 re-map?

Big Pete
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 16:14
I already have a 304 re-map from HLM and I am thinking about getting a Ferrita full exhaust system with downpipe and racing cat. Do you automatically get more BHP by adding the full system or does the car need re-mapping again?

Have been looking on the BSR website for the 850R for reference and they do the same re-map whatever, then if you add the 3" downpipe you get more BHP. Is this the same with the 304 as it seems to me it would?

Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Enigma666
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 16:24
You 'should' get the car re-mapped to make the most of the DP. You cna use it out of the box but the increases will not be as noticeable....the biggest problem at the moment that I am aware of is finding someone who can do custom RICA maps.

siamblue
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 17:16
BSR do 3 different stages of tune, depending on what parts you buy, lots of people have fitted a cat back and dp after their tune and were fine, but these were not Rica'd cars, only BSR and MTE,

Gary

walter leever
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 17:47
Pete,the thing with remaps is that they promise 50 extra(or something like

that)extra horses,wich is impossible since the exhaust is too restricted

(silencers,number&sort)the biggest restriction however is the downpipe

(too narrow and too sharp a curve)

If you fit a bigger downpipe and exhaust on a standerd car you should

allready notice a difference (smoother ride)turbo spools up more easily.

So when remapping a car in combination with a full system you should have

around the 290-300 horses and about 430nm(wich is quite enough for daily

use(i think)

Personally i would go for an MTE-remap,wich you can adept along the

way(if you tune your car more)

Hope this is usefull,walter

Alan M
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 17:49
I have tried a 304 map on my car before I changed my downpipe and turbo and I would say that a difference is noticeable. I do have a different map to the one I have now though so that could also have been an effect to be taken into account. I have a 304 map now on my 855 T5 with a 3 inch downpipe and cat free 2.5 inch back system.

Saaamon
Thursday 5th February 2009, 21:16
You wont need to have your car re-mapped. Yes you will gain extra BHP, but most of the extra power will come from the bigger downpipe as the standard D/P is not much bigger than a drinking straw! I've got a full ferrita and was worth every penny, sounds really good and the downpipe is a work of art.

Chad
Thursday 5th February 2009, 21:24
i have a rica on my car. and then i put the BSR 3" downpipe + race cat and full BSR cat back exhaust on, and i noticed a difference.

Big Pete
Thursday 5th February 2009, 23:03
You wont need to have your car re-mapped. Yes you will gain extra BHP, but most of the extra power will come from the bigger downpipe as the standard D/P is not much bigger than a drinking straw! I've got a full ferrita and was worth every penny, sounds really good and the downpipe is a work of art.

I want a stainless system so it seems Ferrita is the way forward. Is the system that loud as heard some people say it pretty tame and others like yourselves say otherwise.

When I bought this car in November last year it had a de-cat full stainless system, custom from Powerflow on it with 2 silencers on the rear and the thing sounded awesome, it was like a V8, even on idle. I was afraid it will be failing the MOT so just put a stock downpipe and cat on it, and currently it sounds pretty naff. So was just afraid the Ferrita system may be quite silent like this?

walter leever
Thursday 5th February 2009, 23:28
I want a stainless system so it seems Ferrita is the way forward. Is the system that loud as heard some people say it pretty tame and others like yourselves say otherwise.

When I bought this car in November last year it had a de-cat full stainless system, custom from Powerflow on it with 2 silencers on the rear and the thing sounded awesome, it was like a V8, even on idle. I was afraid it will be failing the MOT so just put a stock downpipe and cat on it, and currently it sounds pretty naff. So was just afraid the Ferrita system may be quite silent like this?

Pete,on iddle it gives a sweet burble(when you hear it you know there are

a few horses in there,not over the top though):smile:

when cruising,it's a low deep tone(not too much,just right,i think):wave23d:

when giving it the beans,it roars(deep&low)when suddenly lifting a burble,with

an occasional bang.:hail:

Big Pete
Friday 6th February 2009, 06:38
Pete,on iddle it gives a sweet burble(when you hear it you know there are

a few horses in there,not over the top though):smile:

when cruising,it's a low deep tone(not too much,just right,i think):wave23d:

when giving it the beans,it roars(deep&low)when suddenly lifting a burble,with

an occasional bang.:hail:

Actually sounds pretty nice!!!

Thanks all for the responses, one will be added to my list of "to get ASAP"!

Tomcat
Friday 6th February 2009, 12:00
I've got a Ferrita on mine and it's not that loud, the noise coming from the engine overpowers anything coming from the back end. Maybe as the system gets older and a little more clogged up it will get louder, at the moment I'm considering removing one of the boxes.

Big Pete
Friday 6th February 2009, 15:33
I've got a Ferrita on mine and it's not that loud, the noise coming from the engine overpowers anything coming from the back end. Maybe as the system gets older and a little more clogged up it will get louder, at the moment I'm considering removing one of the boxes.

Yes that is my problem I like them to be a little louder, was thinking of getting the Ferrita stainless downpipe and racing cat and then just getting "Longlife Exhausts" to make up a system there back with 1 free flow silencer at the rear?

Tomcat
Friday 6th February 2009, 15:56
To be honest if you remove the cat or replace it with a sports one then your probably going to get more noise anyway. The Cat makes a damn good silencer, as and when funds allow I'll be having a proper downpipe.

p fandango
Friday 6th February 2009, 16:04
was thinking of getting the Ferrita stainless downpipe and racing cat and then just getting "Longlife Exhausts" to make up a system there back with 1 free flow silencer at the rear?
thats the set-up i've got (altho Powerflow did mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQAYXfmhco

Alan M
Friday 6th February 2009, 19:14
To be honest if you remove the cat or replace it with a sports one then your probably going to get more noise anyway. The Cat makes a damn good silencer, as and when funds allow I'll be having a proper downpipe.

I replaced my decat with a high flow sports cat today for my MOT and the difference in noise is massive. Without the cat in the system the noise is very loud and with the cat in the system it is near enough back to stock compared to the sound before.

Tomcat
Friday 6th February 2009, 19:18
Mmm thought as much, I'd like to go the de cat route but I'm not sure how you'd fare with the insurance in the event of an accident and the car getting examined.

Big Pete
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:10
I replaced my decat with a high flow sports cat today for my MOT and the difference in noise is massive. Without the cat in the system the noise is very loud and with the cat in the system it is near enough back to stock compared to the sound before.

What system you running, Ferrita, BSR?

I think this is the reason why I was thinking of maybe a Ferrita downpipe with race cat and a Longlife Exhaust custom job from there back with 1 performance free-flow silencer. Any that is probably cheaper than Ferrita all the way and louder.

walter leever
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:15
What system you running, Ferrita, BSR?

I think this is the reason why I was thinking of maybe a Ferrita downpipe with race cat and a Longlife Exhaust custom job from there back with 1 performance free-flow silencer. Any that is probably cheaper than Ferrita all the way and louder.

Well i think that"s same set-up ferrita uses,3"dp,race-cat and 1 silencer.

thebadger
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:20
Yep, ferrita, race cat & 1 back box.

walter leever
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:25
Just in time Badger,i was almost under the car looking to know for sure:funkybana

Big Pete
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:26
Well i think that"s same set-up ferrita uses,3"dp,race-cat and 1 silencer.

I think it has the 2 silencers in the rear, this is off the European Tuning Website under the Ferrita section. Then the Race cat on the downpipe.

thebadger
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:30
Had my head under it yesterday inspecting my new rear droplinks!

The exhaust looked very shiny, caught my eye.... feel like a magpie!

Also looking for the bolts to remove the rear shocks... FSD soon!

walter leever
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:34
I think it has the 2 silencers in the rear, this is off the European Tuning Website under the Ferrita section. Then the Race cat on the downpipe.

Pete you're right,just had a look(lay flat on my stummach in the gravel,thanks)so it's 3"dp,race-cat,and 2 silencers:parhmph:

thebadger
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:36

Looks a bigger back box than mine!

Also that looks like a 2.5" system... I roll with 3".....

Big Pete
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:38
Pete you're right,just had a look(lay flat on my stummach in the gravel,thanks)so it's 3"dp,race-cat,and 2 silencers:parhmph:

Sorry man! Thanks for double checking. Mmmm, wonder what it would sound like with the first silencer removed after the cat and a straight pipe put in instead!!!!

walter leever
Friday 6th February 2009, 22:52
:sorry:Pete was trying to post some recordings but they seem to not work

How do you post recordings?(they work fine on photobucket)

p fandango
Saturday 7th February 2009, 05:26
not sure about Longlife but i know the biggest pipe Powerflow use is 2 1/4inches

Big Pete
Saturday 7th February 2009, 14:53
not sure about Longlife but i know the biggest pipe Powerflow use is 2 1/4inches

I just called Longlife and they said they can do whatever size diameter tube I want, so I said 2.5" and 3" stainless and he said yes, he said they always stock tube that thickness so...........

Any gain having a 3" system all the way over 2.5" after the race cat? I'm sure the ferrita system when you buy the 3" downpipe and race cat comes with another pipe after the cat doesn't it that is 3" one end and 2.5" the other? So you could keep it 3" all the way.

Any thoughts as always is greatly appreciated.

Alan M
Saturday 7th February 2009, 15:02
Go for a full 3 inch system. I have a 2.5 item but will be going 3 inch in the near future. I have an OBX system with a 100cell cat from the states. It did take a few attempts to pass emmisions tests though as it needed to get hot beforehand.

p fandango
Saturday 7th February 2009, 15:03
I just called Longlife and they said they can do whatever size diameter tube I want, so I said 2.5" and 3" stainless and he said yes, he said they always stock tube that thickness so...........
thats alright then

Any gain having a 3" system all the way over 2.5" after the race cat? I'm sure the ferrita system when you buy the 3" downpipe and race cat comes with another pipe after the cat doesn't it that is 3" one end and 2.5" the other? So you could keep it 3" all the way.

Any thoughts as always is greatly appreciated.
i know the Ferrita i've got goes down to 2.5inch after the cat. With a turbo the less exhaust restriction the better so 3inch over 2.5inch will help, whether its noticable or not i don't know

sorry but can't resist posting up my vid again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84

Big Pete
Saturday 7th February 2009, 17:24
Go for a full 3 inch system. I have a 2.5 item but will be going 3 inch in the near future. I have an OBX system with a 100cell cat from the states. It did take a few attempts to pass emmisions tests though as it needed to get hot beforehand.

You reckon its worth the extra 1/2"? I would have thought on the 850 Turbo engine it will help it breath better so logically better performance.

I am now thinking a 3" Ferrita downpipe and then a 3" Longlife Exhaust made out of 304 stainless steel from the cat back with 1 silencer at the rear and a nice 4" round tip on the back to finish it all off nicely.

I currently got a Longlife 4" round tip on the rear and I think it looks great. When I bought the car it was de-cated and had a custom full system from Powerflow with a square rear tip that looks VERY similar to the stock tip. I new it would fail the annual MOT and is illegal so I got a stock downpipe and cat fitted and the tip didn't look sporty enough for me as it looks so small for the size of the car so I got Longlife to remove the tip and add the 4" on there. (photo's added)

I could get Longlife to make the whole system but I would prefer to use a quality tried and tested downpipe and race cat over something that is bodged up.