PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Woes

mat562be
Friday 13th May 2005, 14:10
I'm posting in the V-series forum as most people who know a bit tend to be on here.

I recently found that my rear offside tyre (a Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 225/45 17") has an alarming fault. The metal ply is sticking out of the outer tread/sidewall and there is an split in the tyre where the wire carcass has pushed it's way through. I've been on to my tyre dealer, and he is arranging areplacement, although he says Good Year are sods for warranty claims and tend to accuse you of kerbing the tyre, or some other misuse.

The tyre has NOT been kerbed, abused, over or under-inflated nor subjected to impact of any kind.

A front nearside also failed a couple of months back - a bulge apppearing on the outer tyre wall, again with no kerbing or misuse. I put the last one down to sod's law, and didn't kick up a fuss, assuming that I must have done something for the tyre wall to fail. This time, I'm hopping mad - I am certain that there is nothing untoward which has happened to the tyre, and I will be looking for Good Year to make good.

Anyone else had similar experiences with tyres and/or tyre manufacturers, and what was the result?

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2005, 14:24
matt there was either someone on here recently or on the VOC forum had a large slice across the tread of his tyre,Just like someone had run a knife over it,
Not sure of the outcome anyone here remember ?

Gary

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 13th May 2005, 14:36
Mmmmm, i;ve just bought 2 GDS2's for mine, will keep an eye on them in that case. Cheers!

Redbrick
Friday 13th May 2005, 15:55
matt there was either someone on here recently or on the VOC forum had a large slice across the tread of his tyre,Just like someone had run a knife over it,
Not sure of the outcome anyone here remember ?

Gary

LOL that was me :)

Top result on that one!

Tyre was replaced FOC by dealer, I am a very regular customer, every 6K miles with PZeros :(

Then got a cheque from that dealers head office for about £120 which they had received from Goodyear. Goodyear had said it had 15% wear so they had refunded 85% of the cost. That was a 225/35R18 F1 with a clear manufacturing fault.

So quids in really, but then you think that it could have blown out the day before on the motorway it's pretty crap really and there was no apology from Goodyear.

Would have prefered the tyre not to fail at all.

philt6
Friday 13th May 2005, 16:49
Just been on Autotrader web site looked at tyre deals
Tyres for mine Falkens
With fitting balancing valve £92.00
If just delivered £77.00

mraldonnelly
Friday 13th May 2005, 16:56
That's a difference of £15 for fitting! Just get em delivered. There are loads of places that'll fit and balance for a fiver. That usually includes new valves too!

Regards

Andy

mat562be
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:18
Yep, mine's similar. It looks like I've slashed a 2" cut from the outer edge of the tread down and through the sidewall.The metal banding is poking out of the slit, as though it has somehow sprung outwards and split it's way through the tyre wall.

It is quite obviously, having had a better look at it, a manufacturing or structural issue. I am less than happy at getting, say 75% of the cost reimbursed on a pro rata system based on the remaining tread depth. I still will have to replace the two rear tyres at the same time anyway, so I'll be out of pocket by about 30 quid, plus the hassle of having to get another tyre fitted.. :pants: