PDA

View Full Version : Roof bar fitting on an mreg t-5 ?

kevin 850t
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 16:35
Hi, the rubber strip from front to back on my car has no cut outs to where the bolts are (if there are any), do i have to cut the rubber to find the bolts?

Thanks. kev.

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 17:25
Hi, the rubber strip from front to back on my car has no cut outs to where the bolts are (if there are any), do i have to cut the rubber to find the bolts?

Thanks. kev.

the bolts are normally with the bars i think. i'm certain the bolts wont be in the roof. guess you could cut the rubber strips but should'nt be to hard to get a set of rubbers pre cut from a breakers.
quite an easy job to fit bars once you have all the bits.
problem you may have is the metal clips that hold the rubber in can rust but only a few quid for a set from dealer

Babybadger
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 17:38
There are another set of cross bars that fit if you don't have roof rails, if you open the door on the car, in the roofline is some screw holes. Will attach photo later, you don't have to have roof rails on a Volvo 850 , personally i wouldn't add them either.

woz
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:21

Thanks. kev.
its not rubber its plastic coated ally. Its the other way round you need to lift the rubber to find the bolts to find out where to cut the strip.

Lift i out carefully - its held by spring clips. Dont bend them! Get new clips - the old will be rusty. fit the roofbars temproarily and mark on the roodf with tape or a wax pencil where the cutouts need to be. replace the strips loosely and transfer the marks to he strip - then carefully cut the strip to suit, fit the bars then the strip back into place using new clips.

I did not remove the strip completely - i left as much in place down the side of the windscreen as possible. You can cut the strip on the roof support by some strips of wood and with a piece of hardboard under it to protect the paint using a fine hacksaw. It is dead soft!

I think I got all the bits withsome secondhand bars new clips etc.from Braydon Motors - excellent service too!

Good luck

kevin 850t
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 03:25
Super thankyou for all the reply's, i don't know what people think about the original roof bars, but i like them and will buy some from ebay after we have bought the two rear facing seats for the back, thank's again.

Kind regards, kevin.

1996 850 T5
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 17:56
do any of the usual places sell the new metal clips? mine all look like iron ore haha

(we have no volvo dealerships over here either)

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 19:48
do any of the usual places sell the new metal clips? mine all look like iron ore haha

(we have no volvo dealerships over here either)

got mine from BRAYDONS VOLVO Hackney excellent service as well. They will post em to you i think.