PDA

View Full Version : Recirculating valve

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 07:06
whats it do? can you blank it off, why would you blank it off?

thanks

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 09:01
whats it do? can you blank it off, why would you blank it off?
its basically a dump valve but ditches the air back into the system instead of the atmosphere. I'm not running a recirc or dump valve on my 19t & not noticed any loss in spool up between gear changes

wegal
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 11:25
I thought the point of a recirc or a dump valve was to stop the turbine getting damaged due to back pressure when the throttle is backed off... when the fuel and air is no being put into the cylinders but you still have a lot of pressure in the system the recirc valve"depressurise's" they system so that you dont stall the turbo.

Of course I could be talking utter ££££££££££.

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 12:39
I thought the point of a recirc or a dump valve was to stop the turbine getting damaged due to back pressure when the throttle is backed off... when the fuel and air is no being put into the cylinders but you still have a lot of pressure in the system the recirc valve"depressurise's" they system so that you dont stall the turbo.

Of course I could be talking utter ££££££££££.
your basically right, you've got to be running quite high boost levels to damage the turbines & as i say i've not noticed any lag between gear changes

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 12:51
so if i have a dump valve i no longer need the recirc?

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 12:56
so if i have a dump valve i no longer need the recirc?
spot on mate

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 15:31
so i blank it off then do what with the pipe?

Alan M
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 15:52
Fit it to the dump valve.

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 16:50
just looked at the pipe, the dv pipe is teed into the recirc, can i not just disconnect the the recirc and put it direct to the dump valve, then block the end of the recirc inlet?

Alan M
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 18:28
Yes. Just pipe the DV to the nipple on the inlet manifold where the recirc goes.

Turbodave
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 18:58
Taking this topic and running with it... what's the best/easiest way of blanking off the recirculation valve, suspect mine might be iffy so blanking it off would eliminate that area. The turbo doesn't strike me as being very accessable on these, so safe to say it's a bit of a bitch of a job?

PNuT
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 19:02
just looked at the pipe, the dv pipe is teed into the recirc, can i not just disconnect the the recirc and put it direct to the dump valve, then block the end of the recirc inlet?

not really, boost pressure helps to hold the recuirc valve shut, disconnecting it will end up in lost boost......

seal the bloody thing up good & proper :D

PNuT
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 19:04
Taking this topic and running with it... what's the best/easiest way of blanking off the recirculation valve, suspect mine might be iffy so blanking it off would eliminate that area. The turbo doesn't strike me as being very accessable on these, so safe to say it's a bit of a bitch of a job?

the blanking plates give you a lot more room to work than the origional valve ;) however, its not that big a job to pull the compressor side of the turbo out of the car :D

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 19:07
not really, boost pressure helps to hold the recuirc valve shut, disconnecting it will end up in lost boost......

seal the bloody thing up good & proper :D

:biggrin:just ordering a forge blanking plate!

Turbodave
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 19:33
the blanking plates give you a lot more room to work than the origional valve ;) however, its not that big a job to pull the compressor side of the turbo out of the car :D

Was that sarcasm?!

Don't supose there's a how to guide, or anybody fancy doing one... had a wee search of the forum and google but nothing that helpfull. And can I fabricate a blanking plate, or is it worth following your man there and ordering a Forge one?

Cheers

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 19:38
if i had the time i would make one, its nothing special, just a plate

cameron
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 19:59
Just be careful with the 3 x 10mm bolts, drop them and your stuffed :(

Very fiddly to get them back in as well, a ratchet spanner is your best friend :B_thumb:

Good luck matey :D

Lee

PNuT
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 20:03
Was that sarcasm?!

Don't supose there's a how to guide, or anybody fancy doing one... had a wee search of the forum and google but nothing that helpfull. And can I fabricate a blanking plate, or is it worth following your man there and ordering a Forge one?

Cheers

no, i was being serious.... but it depends on your mechanical knowledge i guess!

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 20:15
no, i was being serious.... but it depends on your mechanical knowledge i guess!

tight as a nuns chuff round that turbo!

cameron
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:01
Recirc on the Turbo

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/recircvalve.jpg

Recirc off the Turbo

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P041108_1905.jpg

Blanking plate in Place

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/ForgeDV3.jpg

Just move the air filter hose out the way and get in there with a Ratchet Spanner ( 10mm iirc )

The bottom nut is easier to get from underneath the car :D

Lee

Turbodave
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:11
Superb lad, doesn't look impossible. Assume I can just trace round the valve body onto a piece of plate (3mm ish) and then cut it out and drill the required holes, make a gasket and then seal it up with a smear of instant gasket? Or is it easier to phone Forge?

cameron
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:15
Depends how easy you find it is too make a plate,

You dont need to make a gasket though ;) just a smear of instant stuff is as good :B_thumb:

Lee

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:23
Recirc on the Turbo

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/recircvalve.jpg

Recirc off the Turbo

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P041108_1905.jpg

Blanking plate in Place

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/ForgeDV3.jpg

Just move the air filter hose out the way and get in there with a Ratchet Spanner ( 10mm iirc )

The bottom nut is easier to get from underneath the car :D

Lee

ill put it on the lift on sunday morning and take some piccy's underneath the car, hopefully the plate will be here.

thanks for the pics

Turbodave
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:28
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0016&product=FMBPMIS

Forge blanking plate... looks bling, question is do you pay £24.44 or spend a half hour so so mucking about with plating and a Dewalt drill.

zoomungus
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:32
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0016&product=FMBPMIS

Forge blanking plate... looks bling, question is do you pay £24.44 or spend a half hour so so mucking about with plating and a Dewalt drill.

half an hour? for me maybe an hour!

Enigma666
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:52
Buy one, at least the are proven....if you got a leak it would be a right faff sorting it out potentially :(

t5 pete
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 07:55
Buy one, at least the are proven....if you got a leak it would be a right faff sorting it out potentially :(

As enigma has said for $20 odd quid you will be 100% sure there will be no leaks i was think about making a plate but realised it wasnt worth messing about making one

Alan M
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 08:15
I have made one and used a Forge item. The forge item does seal better but a homemade one from 3mm stainless plate works well enough if used with some 1mm rubber gasket as the sealing joint. You may need to get some slightly longer bolts as the recirc is made from thin pressed steel. The forge plate can utilise the original bolts though. For the money and for less of a worry on the boost leak front I would fit a forge plate.

Saaamon
Thursday 5th February 2009, 21:24
Does blanking the recirc valve cause the turbo to take longer to spool back up through gear-changes?

Loadsamiles
Friday 6th February 2009, 01:49
A re-circ valve is far more effective than a dump valve in many applications.

More correctly called a CBV (Compressor bypass valve), the CBV simply reduces the pressure difference either side of the compressor wheel without seriously reducing the pressure stored in the charge air system. Thus when you come back on throttle after the gear change you still have a reasonable charge of air in the system ready to feed to the engine.

Going from a CBV to a DV is a step backwards.

Duane will not be noticing the lack of power through lack of DV or CBV as although his compressor will almost be stalling he will still have a fully presurised charge air system all ready to go after the gear change. This will compenste to some extent for the turbo having to spool up again.

BruceT
Friday 6th February 2009, 08:17
Don @ Kalmar does New CBVS for about £80 too. Even with a tenner delivery thats cheaper than most, if not all Atmospheric dump valves.

PNuT
Friday 6th February 2009, 14:56
More correctly called a CBV (Compressor bypass valve), the CBV simply reduces the pressure difference either side of the compressor wheel without seriously reducing the pressure stored in the charge air system. Thus when you come back on throttle after the gear change you still have a reasonable charge of air in the system ready to feed to the engine.

im not convinced......