PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch needs a wiggle

888dee
Monday 2nd February 2009, 15:47
completely new to Volvo land but no stranger to spannering (Alfa nut so always got a spanner in my hand :lol:, that's not actually true but never mind)

anyway, strange thing happens, sometimes get bizarre behaviour from the dash back lights/abs warning light/alarm and I suspect there is a bad earth or dodgy connection in the ignition switch as it can be cured by wiggling the key in the lock, anything that's been come across before or is my car special?

dannt5
Monday 2nd February 2009, 16:26
This was a common prob on 850's,its usually the the switch on the back of the ignition barrel assembly.If you remove the plastic surround you will see a round switch with half a dozen or so wires screwed onto the back of the barrel,sounds like its that.Make sure you make a note of how the wires go before replacing it with a new one

dooby
Monday 2nd February 2009, 16:28
EDIT beaten to it :-) Must be slipping in all this snow...

Hiya,

pretty common fault from what I've read on it (hasn't happened to me). You probably need to replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch in the steering column cowl. There's a few posts about it so I think a search should turn them up.

HTH, Pete

850 2.5 10v
Monday 2nd February 2009, 17:11
Did mine 2 years ago and all well.