PDA

View Full Version : S50 - replacement for 850 T5?

S1RS
Monday 2nd February 2009, 08:42
Heading should read V50!

Im after a bit of advice, my 855 T5 has hit 200,000 miles and just recently a few problems have shown up , namely with the gearbox. I feel it is time to replace it with something newer. Choices at the moment are a V70 T5 or V70R if i can find one! But ive also been looking at V50 T5's as they seem to offer similar performance and towing capability, something which is important to me as I tow my Fiesta track and strip cars from time to time. Also they seem much cheaper so I will beb able to buy newer with lower miles for the same price.

What are peoples thoughts on these, the V70 T5, V70R, V50 T5 & V50 T5 AWD?

thanks

Paul

princepugh
Monday 2nd February 2009, 11:06
I quite like the V50 but it will not give you the same comfort or practical load space as a Phase II V70. It's built on the Ford Focus floor-pan I beleive so you get a decent handling package plus Volvo safety, although I think the newer T5 engines are quite different to the Phase II mills and may not have the same tuning potential. if you're after a tow machine the torque and eceonomy of the D5 might be a better bet?

Baj
Monday 2nd February 2009, 16:23
My dad has a P2 V70 2.5D and is looking at getting a V50 instead. It is a smaller car.
He is having difficulty finding a decent one at the moment which may affect your choice :)