PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying >2004 s40 T5

r200ti
Monday 2nd February 2009, 00:45
Hi guys,
Ive been a Rover fan for, well, since i could drive. And sadly the fast ones have been gone for more than a decade now. So im considering moving onto the next best value hi performance small family car. Ive heard the 2.5 engines are tough and tunable and the new S40 appears to have a good chassis

So im stopping by here to ask a couple of questions of the car I have my eye on, the s40 T5 (mk2) if i may?

1, Are these things user fixable? i.e can cambelts and clutches be changed by a novice? Ive got used to doing this stuff myself as garage costs can be scary for what is sometimes just a few hours work

2, How tuneable are they? I notice they weigh in at a power to weight crippling 1500kg so id be hopping for 300+ bhp without spending thousands?

3,What the std brakes like? Dont fancy spending £1500 after already spending 10x what im used to on a car!

4, would it make more sense to go for a mk1 T4/T5 and spending a bit on the on suspension/engine tweeks?

If i get one its a balance of something quick, with a daily commute/family car.

Thanks
J

daveforber
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 01:14
My personal opinion is that the new S40 is overpriced used. Used S40 T5s are on Autotrader starting at around £6k.

I reckon you'd be better off with an S60 T5 that's a year or two older. They're going for around £2k-£4k with a few more miles and are equally, if not more tuneable. It's a fast, comfy car and much more refined than the S/V40 pre 2004 (can't speak for the new ones). Reliable too -- just check the top engine mounts are OK.

In terms of tuning, £550 will get you a remap with 38 extra bhp for the new S40 (takes it to around 258bhp) The same money will get you an extra 49bhp on the S60, which is more powerful to start with (==298bhp). I'm using the BSR PPC specs on Parts for Volvos for the numbers, if you were wondering.

I never had a problem with the brakes on my S60 and I believe Volvo brakes are pretty good. Though a test drive will clarify what I think is good vs. what you think is good!

princepugh
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 13:25
The new 40/50 series cars are very tidy but forber is right, this is a good time to pick up a used S60 T5, which we all know is tunable, reliable and an all round solid performer. No need to worry too much about mileage either as long as it's been serviced well, many of us on here are running cars well over the 100k mark, tuned. On the downside, insurance can be high-ish and fuel economy can low-ish but you can't argue with the bang you'll get for your bucks.

r200ti
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 00:13
Thanks guys.
Its funny you mention the S60, I started looking at them and as you say they do seem very good value and with more bhp potential.
Theyre a bit huge tho!

J

lance
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 14:58
[QUOTE=r200ti;211497]Thanks guys.
Its funny you mention the S60, I started looking at them and as you say they do seem very good value and with more bhp potential.
Theyre a bit huge tho!

Not much bigger than a 3 series ot c class merc though