PDA

View Full Version : Resetting timing

KARL
Sunday 1st February 2009, 18:22
Hi All

After a tensioner failure, I am now looking to get my V70 R AWD back on the road.

I have a new belt and tensioner fitted but, it runs very badly and has developed a nasty tappety sound ,around number 5 cyl.

It has a code up also now !

I think the timing is out a little ,as the cam marking got cut up by the belt coming of !

The R should be dead so i am happy with all of the above at the mo!!!

Please help with any advise !!

See pics for a good laugh !

Cheers all

Tomcat
Sunday 1st February 2009, 18:28
When did the tensioner go?, was it while you where driving?, are you sure you haven't bent anything?(Valves etc..). If I where you I would get the codes read and check the timing marks, before you go driving it around properly.

KARL
Sunday 1st February 2009, 18:40
Hi Tomcat

I was driving at the time , re-start atempt in all.

The engine by rights should be DEAD, but I was very happy to get it this far !

The timing was set from book photo`s as the ones on the car burnt off (photo)

Thanks mate.

Tomcat
Sunday 1st February 2009, 18:49
How do you mean set up from book photo's?, if the timing marks on the covers have been rubbed off then how can you possibly set up the timing properly?, think I'd be getting a set of new covers and re checking the timing.

KARL
Sunday 1st February 2009, 18:56
How do you mean set up from book photo's?, if the timing marks on the covers have been rubbed off then how can you possibly set up the timing properly?, think I'd be getting a set of new covers and re checking the timing.

My mechanic has his bible of info ! but I no what you mean.

Thanks mate

Enigma666
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:36
That tappety sound could well be knackered valves....I personally would get it towed and get the head taken off and checked properly. You are lucky not to have killed the block though :D

Tomcat
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:41
That's what I thought, especially since it's been set up using er....god only knows what (maybe the force), as there are no timing marks left.

Enigma666
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:43
Timing tool is the only thing that can have a chance of setting it up, there is another way but it is totally using the force and gently roatating the cams until they lay perfectly on the valves (but holy hell I wouldn't trust that) you only need to be out by 1 degree to get the timing completely wrong too :(

Tomcat
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:46
Without having stuff like a dial guage to measure the lift of the cams etc, it would be hard to setup the timing properly, you'd also need the proper facts and figures from Volvo. Would be much easier to just buy a new set of covers.

Enigma666
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:49
Totally mate :) oooh I have to pm you at some point about those wheels, got a week off coming up so will be on your doorstep alloys in hand :P (assuming that is ok of course lol)

Tomcat
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:52
No probs, just give me a little notice so I can tell you if I'm working that day or not.

Enigma666
Sunday 1st February 2009, 19:56
No worries mate, I'll just leave them on the doorstep if you are lol

KARL
Sunday 1st February 2009, 20:13
Timing tool is the only thing that can have a chance of setting it up, there is another way but it is totally using the force and gently roatating the cams until they lay perfectly on the valves (but holy hell I wouldn't trust that) you only need to be out by 1 degree to get the timing completely wrong too :(

The rotating method was used !

I had nothing to loose as I thought it was dead, after speaking with Russell at RT.

Cheers.

Enigma666
Sunday 1st February 2009, 20:15
In that case mate, tow it to a garage and get them to use a timing tool / dial gauge to finish the job :D
At least you know it turns over even if it is lumpy....did it go while you were at a stand still or actually driving at speed?

KARL
Sunday 1st February 2009, 21:20
In that case mate, tow it to a garage and get them to use a timing tool / dial gauge to finish the job :D
At least you know it turns over even if it is lumpy....did it go while you were at a stand still or actually driving at speed?

About 35 mph central london !

Its an auto ,so I think that helped !

Cheers for the info

Alan M
Monday 2nd February 2009, 21:01
You are est to lock the cams with a cam tool or by making one. Haynes should show you how. The cam covers have two V grooves cut into them where the cam timing marks are to be lined up against and the crank pulley has a notch cut in it which is very hard to see if not been done before.http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt2.php Here is a link for you to look at.

Tomcat
Monday 2nd February 2009, 21:14
**Cough**** Timing marks have been rubbed off **Cough***.....

Alan M
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 07:59
The timing marks can't really be rubbed off. The pulley cover has V grooves cut into it and the pulleys have timing grooves marked into the pulley which can be hard to see. The cams are fairly easy to line up. I can see that the cover in the pic has been rubbed by what looks like the belt but you can use the cams from the opposite end to line them up.

KARL
Friday 6th February 2009, 21:56
**Cough**** Timing marks have been rubbed off **Cough***.....

Thanks Alan M

Very good photo,`s and highlighted area`s of the cam cover markings in relation to the cams .

Thanks a bunch for that,

Toomcat will now understand what got rubbed/cut away, I hope.. **Cough**** **Cough**** Fart ,burrrppp.

Cheers

KARL
Saturday 9th May 2009, 00:07
Hi All

After a tensioner failure, I am now looking to get my V70 R AWD back on the road.

I have a new belt and tensioner fitted but, it runs very badly and has developed a nasty tappety sound ,around number 5 cyl.

It has a code up also now !

I think the timing is out a little ,as the cam marking got cut up by the belt coming of !

The R should be dead so i am happy with all of the above at the mo!!!

Please help with any advise !!

See pics for a good laugh !

Cheers all

Got new covers and re-set timing today after 4 months , and she seems to be fighting back, cool !!!
Now i am of to get a lottery ticket lol.