PDA

View Full Version : FWD/AWD differences?

888dee
Sunday 1st February 2009, 15:27
other than the obvious lack of drive to the rear wheels on the 2wd cars what are the differences on the AWD cars?

anything in particular I should be aware of to look at when buying over the 2wd car?

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st February 2009, 16:05
what AWD you looking to buy? 850/V70 P1, V70 P2/3 or S60?

888dee
Sunday 1st February 2009, 16:40
sorry, it's an 850 on a P plate,

so far I've sussed out it's a different engine, 2.5 with LPT 193bhp? with what is essentially a 960 rear end with coils instead of leaf springs and a fancy dan viscous coupling under the floor,

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st February 2009, 17:08
Thats right bud, but also a different saddle fuel tank which sits across the propshaft/tunnel, exhaust system which is straight through from the cat to the rear bumper where there are two boxes just behind the bumper. It also has the same front wishbones as the diesel/police/R 850s. The gearbox is the M58 which has an extra power take-off (just a sleeve around the existing driveshaft) for the angle gear to bolt on to. Rear brakes are 283mm, using the calipers off a Volvo 940 front brakes (more or less).

Problems with these cars usually are with the awd system. The angle gear at the front is a problem area, so if the tyres have different wear depths then this puts strain on the system. So look out for different tyre wear and check if the current owner knows it too, because if they don't then maybe the system is on the verge of breakdown. Good thing is that if the angle gear/awd system does fail, then you will still have drive to the front wheels. Another point is the propshaft UJs, the front one has to put up with a lot of heat from the engine/exhaust, and often the grease is dried out (I took mine apart and re-greased it, as the wear wasn't too bad). Also the centre bearing is another possible fail point. Make sure if/when you test drive it, listen out for clicking/gear grinding noises, do a circle on full lock (clockwise and anticlockwise) to stress the system a bit to see if it reveals anything.

Don't be put off by the problems above, I love mine to bits, and wouldn't give it up at all (despite how much I've had to spend on it, and will in the future)

Otherwise really they're the same as a standard 850.

Check out my gallery for some piccys.

HTH

Bomb

P.S. one thing I will say is, like you said it has the LPT engine, it does lack that bigger turbo punch.

nathT5
Sunday 1st February 2009, 21:24
reliability and spec aside, it just depends on what your wanting the car for dee.
if its performance you want, get a 2wd T5 as the AWD lpt has less power, more weight and 4x4 drag.
as proven on our recent RR-day, a nice v70 T5 AWD lost loads through the drivetrain.
if its just a great everyday hauler your after, then go for it mate.

1996 850 T5
Sunday 1st February 2009, 21:27
It also has the same front wishbones as the diesel/police/R 850s.

Thats interesting, I recently (unknowingly) put the wishbones and hubs off an AWD V70 onto my FWD 850...I presumed they were the same (theres no obvious visual difference that I can see?

Will this upset my geometry? or are they just sturdier etc?

Cheers

Joe

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st February 2009, 22:44
Thats interesting, I recently (unknowingly) put the wishbones and hubs off an AWD V70 onto my FWD 850...I presumed they were the same (theres no obvious visual difference that I can see?

Will this upset my geometry? or are they just sturdier etc?

Cheers

Joe

The difference between them is the mounting. The standard ones have two bolts which go through the bush in the wishbone, the other one has a bar through the bush with two holes in it, and 4 bolts go through the engine subframe and into the bar (see pic)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/wishbones.jpg

As far as I know, thats the only difference, unless someone knows more.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st February 2009, 22:48
reliability and spec aside, it just depends on what your wanting the car for dee.
if its performance you want, get a 2wd T5 as the AWD lpt has less power, more weight and 4x4 drag.
as proven on our recent RR-day, a nice v70 T5 AWD lost loads through the drivetrain.
if its just a great everyday hauler your after, then go for it mate.

Well said, it really does depend on what you want from it. The 850 AWD weighs just over 2.1ton, and despite some of the claims, the front wheels do spin.

888dee
Monday 2nd February 2009, 13:09
it is to be a daily lugger for dragging dead Alfa's and our caravan about, all out pace isn't a huge concern as I have a heavily modified Alfa 155 for that :)

anyway, it's in decent condition, 4 new tyres, recent exhaust, radiator, rear calipers, discs and pads, 6 months mot, 215k

anyone care to offer up how much I paid for it?

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd February 2009, 13:18
Nice one dude, any probs give us a shout.

I'm Guessin around £800?

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd February 2009, 13:54
Hey Dude, now you can take it out in the snow and see how it reacts (its really wierd). Don't try and brake though, because the ABS just goes nuts.

nathT5
Monday 2nd February 2009, 18:43
it is to be a daily lugger for dragging dead Alfa's and our caravan about, all out pace isn't a huge concern as I have a heavily modified Alfa 155 for that :)

anyway, it's in decent condition, 4 new tyres, recent exhaust, radiator, rear calipers, discs and pads, 6 months mot, 215k

anyone care to offer up how much I paid for it?

swap for an old 155??? :hidesbehi

888dee
Monday 2nd February 2009, 21:27
you better hide! :lol:

nathT5
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 21:20
£349???

btw dee, im sorry but ive done visiting the alfa155 forum after realizing i,m no longer welcome.
a while back i got moaned about by some people for posting about my 75.
now 3 members talking about our volvos in the "OFF TOPIC" lounge has started it off again.
this time it seems to have loads of support from other members.

i cant be doing with this crap anymore :confused:

888dee
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 22:16
Ooooo, £349 eh? surprisingly close ;)