PDA

View Full Version : dipstick.....

nathT5
Friday 30th January 2009, 19:34
not me, the car :P

i,m off hunting for a dipstick tomorrow from a breakers.
does anyone know if all petrol 850s are all the same or will mine need a specific one?

or has anyone got one going spare? thanks in advance.

t5 pete
Friday 30th January 2009, 20:19
Hi nath i would have thought all the petrol 850 and eairly v70's would fit before you buy one just tell the breaker that you want to make sure its fits and try it on the car but obviously your car needs to be there

5seaterT5x2
Friday 30th January 2009, 21:45

does anyone know if all petrol 850s are all the same or will mine need a specific one?

you broke it or lost it?
i broke mine just took it to friendly volvo people (BRAYDONS) and compared it with new one.
job done

Babybadger
Saturday 31st January 2009, 01:37

I got one out of a 2.5 20v and the part number was the same. So I would say yes! Your plastic top snapped off as well? Use some mole grips to get it out.

Tomcat
Saturday 31st January 2009, 01:49
Don't get one from a late model car, the dipstick is a different length and the diameter of the tube is different too( as I found out a while back).

IC
Saturday 31st January 2009, 07:50
The design of the dipstick and tube has changed/been upgraded for some reason - as I found out when trying to replace the dipstick on my '98 S70R, as the new dipstick was too broad at the top, even though I had ordered the correct part number. I just ordered a new dipstick tube (£16.00) (the dipstick was £13.20). A few words of warning to those driving around with a broken dipstick - I was told (by an experienced mechanic) that there is a small possibility that a broken dipstick can get sucked into the engine - that's why you should never try to temporarily glue the plastic puller back on or drive with a broken dipstick! In my view the cost of the combined price of dipstick and tube far outweighs the cost of the damage to an engine when it gets sucked into the engine and wraps itself 'round the crank/what ever else in the engine (no matter how remote the chances of this happening!

nathT5
Saturday 31st January 2009, 19:23
yes the top snapped off and took the o-ring with it, ive still got the stick to compare sizes. ;)

walter leever
Saturday 31st January 2009, 19:33
yes the top snapped off and took the o-ring with it, ive still got the stick to compare sizes. ;)

it looks like it's going to be a measuring contest.;)